CJohn

Godzilla: King of the Monsters | May 31 2019 | NO SPOILERS

20 minutes ago, cookie said:

You misread me. I said I couldn't think of anything they did that didn't make sense given the situation and head space they were in. I could justify everything to one degree or another.

It's no Prometheus where they do stupid shit that go against previously established characterization.

I wrote that badly, my wrong. I totally agreed with you. The comment with the "flat-out-wrong" was not directed towards you, but the critic reviews ive seen that called the characters stupid and nonsensical when they really arent in the context of the movie.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Shin Godzilla just looks too goofy for my taste tbh. Never took that design seriously.

Edited by cookie

15 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Also lower than The meg? Seriously critics? There why i don't take critics seriously.

I always kind of defended critics on this site, because fans/fandoms tend to get really toxic when they not like something out of the fans beloved franchise.

But not with this film. I honestly think the critics dont get what this movie is and what it means for anyone who loves the old Godzilla films.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

I always kind of defended critics on this site, because fans/fandoms tend to get really toxic when they not like something out of the fans beloved franchise.

But not with this film. I honestly think the critics dont get what this movie is and what it means for anyone who loves the old Godzilla films.

I mean when there's shit like this in reviews-

D7sHCttWkAUK482?format=jpg&name=large

• ...wtf 2
  • Not Cool 1

2 minutes ago, cookie said:

Shin Godzilla just looks too goofy for my taste tbh. Never took that design seriously.

The goofy eyes on the beginning made it look pretty hilarious.

The atomic breath scene almost made him seem terrifying for me until the lasers started coming out the back towards the bombers. Seemed hilariously silly for the tone. 

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

I mean when there's shit like this in reviews-

D7sHCttWkAUK482?format=jpg&name=large

Thats just arrogant. Whoever that critic is, he/she clearly doesnt know shit about Godzilla.

1 minute ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

The goofy eyes on the beginning made it look pretty hilarious.

The atomic breath scene almost made him seem terrifying for me until the lasers started coming out the back towards the bombers. Seemed hilariously silly for the tone. 

Anno's style works better in animation imo. Neon Genesis Evangelion is imo one of the best works of animation ever made and it's been massively impactful in my life. Shin Godzilla though? A incoherent tonal mess tbh.

6 minutes ago, cookie said:

I always loved the combination of this thumbnail + title.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Casual reminder the only scene where Shin Godzilla tries to evoke the horrifying feeling of Gojira, GMK, G-2014 etc etc where we see civilians caught up in the giant monster's rampage is when this is on the screen-

tumblr_ohaoieknH21qgckmbo1_r1_400.gif

I always was under the impression that Shin Godzilla is really a movie for the japanese people. Its a political satire that you could probably only really understand when youre japanese.

• Like 1

Just now, Brainbug said:

I always was under the impression that Shin Godzilla is really a movie for the japanese people. Its a political satire that you could probably only really understand when youre japanese.

I mean my issue with that, is so was Gojira and that movie is incredible no matter where you're from.

36 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

If shin Godzilla with a 15 million dollar can produce a decent story and characters

why can’t a 170 million dollar movie do same 

this is sounding like a modern day Michael bay movie with lack of any care for anything but cgi 

looking forward to watching it on Saturday and seeing it for myself 

Spot on. This was a very dissapointing movie. The movie wasn’t made for me though, it was made for the monster fans and I think most of them won’t care about the stupid parts and love all the monster fighting this movie provides. Happy that the fans in this thread seem to love it.

Casual reminder the only scene where Shin Godzilla tries to evoke the horrifying feeling of Gojira, GMK, G-2014 etc etc where we see civilians caught up in the giant monster's rampage is when this is on the screen-

tumblr_ohaoieknH21qgckmbo1_r1_400.gif

That's leaving out all the scenes where we see the impact on civilians without him being on-screen throughout the movie, particularly the first half.

1 minute ago, Not really said:

That's leaving out all the scenes where we see the impact on civilians without him being on-screen throughout the movie, particularly the first half.

Not really. I don't really remember a scene like the hospital ones in those three movies, or the Prayer For Peace scene in Gojira.

I mean my issue with that, is so was Gojira and that movie is incredible no matter where you're from.

Yeah but Gojira was about the consequences of the atomic bomb, which is a universal theme and fear. Shin Godzilla otoh is a metaphor for the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and Fukushima with the atomic bomb playing only a small role. Its about the failure of Japanese politics when it comes to these catastrophes, so non-japanese people cant relate to that to the same degree the Japanese do.

I mean theres a reason it was such a gigantic hit in Japan and won the Best Film award for that year.

Just now, Brainbug said:

Yeah but Gojira was about the consequences of the atomic bomb, which is a universal theme and fear. Shin Godzilla otoh is a metaphor for the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and Fukushima with the atomic bomb playing only a small role. Its about the failure of Japanese politics when it comes to these catastrophes, so non-japanese people cant relate to that to the same degree the Japanese do.

I mean theres a reason it was such a gigantic hit in Japan and won the Best Film award for that year.

I definitely agree it connected in Japan. If that means it's good though...well I've said my take on it there. 

Just now, Mulder said:

Not really. I don't really remember a scene like the hospital ones in those three movies, or the Prayer For Peace scene in Gojira.

Which I admit is a flaw in the second half of the movie. But I feel that all the scenes with civilian footage, live news reports, etc. in the first half immersed me like seeing a natural disaster on TV. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sindreee said:

Spot on. This was a very dissapointing movie. The movie wasn’t made for me though, it was made for the monster fans and I think most of them won’t care about the stupid parts and love all the monster fighting this movie provides. Happy that the fans in this thread seem to love it.

I watch Godzilla movie but there bigger fans of the movies in this thread 

I just don’t understand the reasoning of. “It’s a Godzilla movie, nobody cares about story or humans just monsters”

its just bad for genre to excuse basic things especially with big budgets 

you can have both human characters, story with amazing monster action 

no need to pick one or the other 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
Just now, Minnale101 said:

I just don’t understand the reasoning of. “It’s a Godzilla movie, nobody cares about story or humans just monsters”

Except a lot of us in the thread are saying the opposite where we're genuinely confused by what critics are saying about the human plot.

Edited by Mulder
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Minnale101 said:

But the script is fine. The characters are fine.

Before you say that certain aspects of a movie are "bad", you should just see the film for yourself, otherwise you dont really have the right to criticize it imo.

• Like 2