CJohn

Godzilla: King of the Monsters | May 31 2019 | NO SPOILERS

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Prefer someone like Verbinski myself. Del Toro already did Pacific Rim.

He'd be a dream come true, but I doubt that this franchise will ever be able to get someone that high up in the director's sphere. It's why they mostly stuck with lower scale indie directer like Edwards, Dougherty and Wingard for the Monsterverse. 

Even back in the 90's Sony couldn't ever get someone high profile to take it after fishing around the likes of Burton,  Joe Dante, Ridley Scott, Robert Zemeckis and eventually settled with Jan De Bont before Sony mucked it up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Godzilla will rule

It's doing what it was projected to do..somewhere between 50 and 60 Million dollars. It will do well but not be a massive hit.

You seem to have wide definition of "rule". But then I note you cheerlead for just about every big budget movie that comes along..something I just don't get.

I love this little clique of filmmakers who have decided they are too good for franchise  big ass films :

Fincher

Del Toro, he tried tho ...

D. Aronofski

Edgar Wright :rofl:

and others I am probably forgetting ...

Despite being quite compatible with the material of those films.

How I wish to be a little fly on the wall to hear what they have to say of the state of the industry when they gather ...

Edited by The Futurist

So the consensus, outside the dedicated Kaiju fans, is that the last act monster mashup is great, but the writing of the film leaves a great deal to be desired?

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

So the consensus, outside the dedicated Kaiju fans, is that the last act monster mashup is great, but the writing of the film leaves a great deal to be desired?

The movie has such an impossible premise that it s impossible to find a sound narrative for it IMO.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chaotic-strike said:

He'd be a dream come true, but I doubt that this franchise will ever be able to get someone that high up in the director's sphere. It's why they mostly stuck with lower scale indie directer like Edwards, Dougherty and Wingard for the Monsterverse. 

Even back in the 90's Sony couldn't ever get someone high profile to take it after fishing around the likes of Burton,  Joe Dante, Ridley Scott, Robert Zemeckis and eventually settled with Jan De Bont before Sony mucked it up.

So Jan De Bont was slated to direct the 1998 Godzilla, and then dropped by Sony after  they saw a chance to grab Roland Emmerich, then the hottest director in Hollywood after ID4? I did not know that.....

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The movie has such an impossible premise that it s impossible to find a sound narrative for it IMO.

That is bullshit. A good writer can find a sound narrative for any premise however impossible.

• Like 1

I'm still waiting for the sequel to Deep Rising. I'd rather see that than another Godzilla film. I feel like I'm alone in this immeasurable and insufferable patience.

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

So Jan De Bont was slated to direct the 1998 Godzilla, and then dropped by Sony after  they saw a chance to grab Roland Emmerich, then the hottest director in Hollywood after ID4? I did not know that.....

That is bullshit. A good writer can find a sound narrative for any premise however impossible.

I suggest you read all parts of this to see the amount of bullshit that went through that film. It really is a good read.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2015/05/10/godzilla-unmade-the-history-of-jan-de-bonts-unproduced-tristar-film-part-1/

5 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

I'm still waiting for the sequel to Deep Rising. I'd rather see that than another Godzilla film. I feel like I'm alone in this immeasurable and insufferable patience.

Mine is Cloverfield. I'd much rather see a sequel to that than another Godzilla movie.

• Like 2

No way another pacific rim is made. Last one was big loss and first one was barley broke even 

Wonder what will be the next giant monster robot movies after KvsG ...

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Wonder what will be the next giant monster robot movies after KvsG ...

Statham in a exoskeleton suit ? (either in Meg 2 or maybe Fast&Furious)

50 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Prefer someone like Verbinski myself. Del Toro already did Pacific Rim.

I mean they even have Terry Rossio (who collaborated with Verbinski for POTC 1-3 and The Lone Ranger) in the writer's room. Verbinski would be perfect for this franchise.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

You're not alone.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, chaotic-strike said:

I suggest you read all parts of this to see the amount of bullshit that went through that film. It really is a good read.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2015/05/10/godzilla-unmade-the-history-of-jan-de-bonts-unproduced-tristar-film-part-1/

Thanks, that was a great read.

The synoposis  they gave of the De Bont version suggests it might not have worked but it would have been a lot more interesting then the Emmrich version. And as a Clive Barker fan,it would have been fun to see what he could have come up with....

23 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Jan De Bont Godzilla would’ve been incredible 

I don't know about that, given how fast De Bont's talents as a director seem to vanish but from the description it would have been more interesting then what Emmerich gave us.

As someone pointed out, the 1998 GINO (Godzilla In Name Only) is more of a remake of "The Beast From 20'000 Fathoms" then a Godzilla film. (Of course ,it was the big success that "Beasts" had in 1953 in it's Japanese release  that made Toho Studios decide to make their own giant monster on the rampage movie set in Japan)....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I mean they even have Terry Rossio (who collaborated with Verbinski for POTC 1-3 and The Lone Ranger) in the writer's room. Verbinski would be perfect for this franchise.

Rossios script certainly sounds a lot better then the bland film we got in 1998.

But as far as the mentioned writers go, very intrigued by Clive Barker doing a Godzilla Movie....

And Jan De Bont....talk about a flash in the pan..two huge hits "Twister" and "Speed" then nothing but disasters.

After what happened with Speed 2, he needed a big hit, but instead made "The Haunting" generally regarding as one of the worst remakes in film history..and an often cited example of a director who just did not get it. The point of the classic Shirely Jackson novel is are never sure if the ghosts in the house are real or a product of hysteria and madness..something  Robert Wise in his superb and very scary..1963 film was careful to preserve. (we never actually see the ghosts) .but totally thrown out by De Bont who made it into just another haunted house movie...and not a very good one at that. He never recovred from that.

When you remake a film that is consisered to be a masterpiece of the genre (and Wise's The Haunting is considered a high point of Horror movies..and an example of how you can scare the shit out of an audience without ever raising your voice or even showing violence..) you had better deliver the goods, De Bont failed.

Edited by dudalb

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Rossios script certainly sounds a lot better then the bland film we got in 1998.

But as far as the mentioned writers go, very intrigued by Clive Barker doing a Godzilla Movie....

What was Rossio's script?

12 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

What was Rossio's script?

Here is the link that chaotic-strike posted.It has a detailed description of the Rossio script.

And what happned here is not unsual. Most films have an incredibly convoluted history. It's a excellent example of what is called: "Development Hell" and some films never get out alive....

Edited by dudalb
  • Thanks 1