CJohn

Godzilla: King of the Monsters | May 31 2019 | NO SPOILERS

4 minutes ago, Galactic Specter said:

Changing directors with a mostly complete Godzilla vs. Kong is a bad idea but I'm not opposed to moving the film up to December 2020 since Avatar isn't there anymore. It could very well be WB's biggest movie in 2020. 

That'd be moving it back nine months, FWIW.

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

That'd be moving it back nine months, FWIW.

I know, the March release date is probably locked in at this point and we'll most likely get a trailer this year's comic-con 

I do wonder if maybe there's a box office ceiling to these type of monster movies. Will be interesting to see if the novelty of King Kong and Godzilla in the same film will entice more casuals or not. Atm seems all the MonsterVerse films will roughly have the same WW grosses. 

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I do wonder if maybe there's a box office ceiling to these type of monster movies. Will be interesting to see if the novelty of King Kong and Godzilla in the same film will entice more casuals or not. Atm seems all the MonsterVerse films will roughly have the same WW grosses. 

They'll need one breakout to break the ceiling. 

TBH if you look, 1998 Godzilla was super hyped but turned out to be dud and 2014 one was hyped too and had big weekend, but fell from there. So it's not that they have ceiling, it's just that they haven't been able to get that desired reactions post release with their two biggest chances.

42 minutes ago, Galactic Specter said:

Changing directors with a mostly complete Godzilla vs. Kong is a bad idea but I'm not opposed to moving the film up to December 2020 since Avatar isn't there anymore. It could very well be WB's biggest movie in 2020. 

That title alone is enough to get more than $700M WW. Much like Freddy vs Jason or AVP, it could very well end up being the highest grossing film for both Godzilla and Kong .

Posted (edited)

So, I love this movie.

If you want a fun time with spectacle, you're likely going to have a great time.

If you want the movie to move at a slow pace and build character development at the same time, then you're going to be severely disappointed. The 2014 film was an apple. This movie is an orange. They are very different movies.

Also, for what it's worth, the audience applauded during the credits. I go to the movies a lot. That never fucking happens here.

The only time other time it did happen was for Endgame.

Edited by NoobSaibot
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Galactic Specter said:

Isn't Wonder Woman a Warner Bros movie too????? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

A ceiling of... 1.67B?

Just now, Thanos Legion said:

A ceiling of... 1.67B?

Jurassic Park is the exception cause you know.....dinosaurs are awesome 

Just gotta package these things right to the sheep, Marvel’s Savage Lands 3 for 2 billie.   

Spoiler

/s

14 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Isn't Wonder Woman a Warner Bros movie too????? 

It is but I think Godzilla vs. Kong is going to have better OS appeal than Wonder Woman.

2 minutes ago, Galactic Specter said:

It is but I think Godzilla vs. Kong is going to have better OS appeal than Wonder Woman.

The first Wonder Woman did around 420m Overseas with the first outing and she is pretty well known female superhero, if it's good It could end being the highest grosser of that year. 

33 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

So, I love this movie.

If you want a fun time with spectacle, you're likely going to have a great time.

If you want the movie to move at a slow pace and build character development at the same time, then you're going to be severely disappointed. The 2014 film was an apple. This movie is an orange. They are very different movies.

Also, for what it's worth, the audience applauded during the credits. I go to the movies a lot. That never fucking happens here.

The only time other time it did happen was for Endgame.

How full was the theater?

3 minutes ago, Hokkaido MUTO said:

How full was the theater?

The theater I went to is pretty small. It was a 150 seat room. About 90 to 92 seats were filled.

4 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Movie might do under 50 million ow. Sucks to say

Really? Where are you even getting that figure from?

Very disappointed in KOTM's box office (I thought over Skull Island was a given), but que sera sera. At least the movie itself was everything I wanted from a Godzilla sequel. I thought the trailers were fantastic at selling the film, but I guess the GA just isn't into kaiju battles as much as I thought.

1 minute ago, Hokkaido MUTO said:

In the weekend thread 

Just now, Hokkaido MUTO said:

Rth came in and reported a 19m Friday gross, which included previews, so the "True Friday" would be 12.7m.

I don't know about it being sub-50m, but 60m+ unfortunately is looking very unlikely. :(

Just got back from the movie. This was absolutely fantastic. I went in sort of expecting the human characters to be terrible... no man, I had absolutely no issue here and am kind of confused by the negative there. No issues with the monsters.

fantastic movie.... if WOM gets ahold of the audience it could have good legs. CLAPPING...I had CLAPPING at the end of the movie. Great stuff.

• Like 1