CJohn

Godzilla: King of the Monsters | May 31 2019 | NO SPOILERS

2 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Straight outta Compton came out 2015 a year before Wanda 

skyscraper was about Hong Kong  building on fire 

They also had stakes in Little and Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again,

Just now, Jonwo said:

They also had stakes in Little and Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again,

That’s true. I hope they can tackle smaller budget movies with good narratives 

story first. Would make it watch able. 

Tentpoles can have cgi

This feels like BvS and JL all over again, where I really want the films to succeed, but JL especially ended up being a flop. Same thing might happen here. 

Deadline said the movie budget is actually 185 million not 170 million but warner bros only on hook for 25% of budget 

• Like 1

From Deadline: Kong: Skull Island surprised over its opening weekend. We initially roasted the pic on its opening night, then business surged Saturday over Friday by 19% (going from $20M to $23M) for a very good $61M. No one saw those numbers until they happened. Maybe history repeats itself here. One thing is for certain, and that’s overseas has the heavy lifting to do. 

So for those who want this to Monsterverse continue, I know it won’t magically give us the amount we need and not even make a difference, but I suggest going to see the movie tomorrow again with as many people as you can. It’s worth a try. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hokkaido MUTO said:

From Deadline: Kong: Skull Island surprised over its opening weekend. We initially roasted the pic on its opening night, then business surged Saturday over Friday by 19% (going from $20M to $23M) for a very good $61M. No one saw those numbers until they happened. Maybe history repeats itself here. One thing is for certain, and that’s overseas has the heavy lifting to do. 

So for those who want this to Monsterverse continue, I know it won’t magically give us the amount we need and not even make a difference, but I suggest going to see the movie tomorrow again with as many people as you can. It’s worth a try. 

Suggesting people donate to a billion dollar company so they continue making monster movies, even though these companies  won’t ever stop making them, is crazy.

• Haha 3
  • ...wtf 2

Just now, AJG said:

Suggesting people donate to a billion dollar company so they continue making monster movies, even though these companies  won’t ever stop making them, is crazy.

The fact that we have so many studio fanboys on this site is pretty weird.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Hokkaido MUTO said:

😉 Mind over matter and prayer to the most high matters indeed. If we put thought into what we all want to happen with this Godzilla franchise, combined with the like minded all things are possible.

Godzilla can suprise. I want 200-300 m in china now that word is that wom is great in that powerhouse territory.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, tawasal said:

Damn Ghidorah was one scary motherf****. 

How did you rate the sequel?..75live loved it. I'm going to see it next week and I'm hoping its in 4dx😎.

The 4dx prices are crazy tho lol. Averaging 25-35 plus , but gives up to 10 times the Imax experience. Cool things like seats lifting

, lowering, tilting, rotating , dipping, spinning. Real world effects of thunder, wind, lightning, cold , heat. These theaters even provide smell for certain parts of the movie. Just dont wear your expensive shirts lol.

Godzilla looks like the movie this technology was made for to enhance the experience.

Edited by Sheldon Cr
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 2:21 AM, FlashMaster659 said:

On 4/6/2019 at 6:42 AM, Shawn said:

Feel free to disagree with the numbers, but the Boxoffice team are messengers and interpreters of actual data -- not curators of predictions fans want to hear. If that's what anyone's looking for, you're reading the wrong website.

We don't claim to always get it right, but we at least offer some unbiased perspective. Wish I could say the same for the some of the complaints that needlessly come my way on here regarding some movies.

@Shawn and BOP seems to be spot on or at least closer than anyone with their initial OW predictions. I know many fans gave Shawn and BoP a lot of grief over the predictions probably causing them to increase their OW/total numbers in subsequent weeks. But kudos on the great prediction once again, BoP is getting pretty good recently at long range forecasts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I just watched and the audiences didn’t like it.

I didn’t expect the characters were badly written, monsters fight were quite messy and CGI was just meh.

Is WB only involved in 25% of the budget?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Quite frankly i was laughing at how dumb the mother is and her Alex Jones rant. such nonsense. I wanted to love the movie, but i think it just has too many problems.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

Quite frankly i was laughing at how dumb the mother is and her Alex Jones rant. such nonsense. I wanted to love the movie, but i think it just too many problems.

Indeed.

I wonder how legendary pictures still have so much budget after failing many movies recently.

5 hours ago, Minnale101 said:

Deadline said the movie budget is actually 185 million not 170 million but warner bros only on hook for 25% of budget 

25% budget but 100% P&A.

Theyre gonna lose a lot. They’re losing money in Pikachu already.

• ...wtf 1

Gonna need the one true King to resuscitate the big green guy. Am I wrong? Kong paired with Godzilla next spring will breathe atomic life back into Godzilla. The pairing has potential. Probably better if it's just those two instead of dozen extra monsters that don't resonate with the GA at all.

Personally... Do not think the WOM will be any better with this new Godzilla than it was for the last one. Hope I'm wrong. But, only expecting a marginally better multiplier.

But, keeping it real, highest grossing Kong adjusted for inflation DOM is 305M. Highest grossing Godzilla adjusted for inflation DOM is 260M. Couldn't find data for the original Kong 1933. Pacific Rim failed to take off like folks hoped as well. 

The only kaiju like anything to truly breakout is Transformers. Which had heavy nostalgia ties to 80s. 

This isn't like Jurassic Park where even the lowest grossing one adjusts to 290M. All other well above that number. Well above.

So... Either there isn't an enormous audience for Kong and Godzilla DOM. Or, they need to be framed within a GotG/PotC adventure yarn. Maybe within more of an unreality. A film that embraces swashbuckling fantasy madcap loonybin tone of a Pirates or Guardians.

The marketing for Godzilla '14 was remarkable. And, it promised a grave, dire, grim, apocalyptic flick. Delivered. Turned out audiences thought they wanted that, but actually didn't. 

People want an adventure with monsters. An Indy, a Guardians, a Pirates. With all the superhetoes all the time, classic adventure flicks are few and far between. Fuse the two. Do it right. Could have something.

• Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, syntaxerror said:

25% budget but 100% P&A.

Theyre gonna lose a lot. They’re losing money in Pikachu already.

No.

Legendary and Warner Bros split marketing costs proportionally, like what they did with first "Godzilla". 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/ct-xpm-2014-05-18-sns-201405181522reedbusivarietyn1201185365-20140518-story.html

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Minnale101 said:

Are we talking KSI or KotM. Last report had KotM at 170m budget. Link to 175? Nvm I see. Though Legendary told Deadline it’s 170... “sources” say 185. I’ll go with LP.

Edited by Cookson

2 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Are we talking KSI or KotM. Last report had KotM at 170m budget. Link to 175?

https://deadline.com/2019/05/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-rocketman-ma-opening-weekend-box-office-1202624876/

While Legendary contends the net cost before P&A is $170M, several sources told us that King of the Monsters was substantially higher. I’m hearing just under $185M seems right (though I have others telling me the project was originally shopped around at $230M net). Warner Bros. is on the hook for 25% as they wanted to share in any potential spoils of Legendary monsters’ franchise.

I think the GA being underwhelmed by Pac Rim and Pac Rim 2 didn't help either. Hell, even Kong didn't really breakout. None of kaiju flicks in this wave really floored the GA. Far too much blame being placed on Godzilla '14. 

That one was marketed so well it looked like it might transcend the genre. It didn't. Genre is what it is...for now. It needs revised, reinvented to get the GA frothing. Doesn't seem to be the aim at all with these though.

• Like 1