CJohn

Godzilla: King of the Monsters | May 31 2019 | NO SPOILERS

Posted (edited)

Does Warner even make money with their tentpoles ?

They seem to co-produce, co-finance to such a large extent.

Lots of, if not all big Disney tentpoles seem to be financed by Disney itself meaning they reap all the money when they have a hit.

Edited by The Futurist
  • ...wtf 1

Finally saw it!! 

A pulpy, globe-trotting adventure that really feels like a Toho film/Godzilla comic through Hollywood lenses. 

I honestly enjoyed the human aspect of the film! Reading the critic reviews, I braced for the worst...but even without keeping my expectations low going in, they were genuinely fun to watch for me. The acting definitely played a big part behind that!! Plus the central drama is well-handled especially for a Godzilla flick. Dialogue was cheesy and of the fun, summer blockbuster kind. 

As for the monsters...Ill admit I was bit underwhelmed with the fight scenes (guess that was an effect of my going over leaks and every released clip imaginable :lol:) Gotta say though the sprinkling of monsters throughout was very very fun and I adored how the plot was nearly always centered about them & their effects on the characters and plot. Wouldnt have minded more monster shots though ;)

The Big 4 each had their moments and were definitely full of life!!!! What a job by Dougherty & co. 

The only scene I was annoyed with was when

they had to rescue the last Monarch aircraft in Mexico while cutting in the Rodan/Ghidorah encounter. Its not the idea of cutting away that annoyed me, its just that the whole scene killed the momentum and felt too contrived IMO.

Overall, as a whole I found KOTM to be easily a good film..but thinking about the G14 & KSI, I cant help but think they managed to better execute and stage their big moments & setpieces (like the big G14 Hawaii reveal or the quieter Kong/Mire Squid scene). Did things in KOTM feel a bit more...rushed? I cant really define it rn.

Cant end without saying this: theres a clear love for the franchise on display here and that was incredible to see on the big screen.

I cant see my score being lower than a very solid B+ for this, and I can easily imagine that score going up.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

In my opinion, what Legendary needs to do is make the Kaiju even more intelligent than they are now. Make them less animal instinctive, more human. That way, people can connect to them more, plus having intelligent Kaiju I don’t believe has been done before. It could be quite freaky to have an intelligent villain Kaiju as well. 

Otherwise, we are just watching giant animals fight each other.

Edited by CaptainJackSparrow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Lots of, if not all big Disney tentpoles seem to be financed by Disney itself meaning they reap all the money when they have a hit.

They make money with the DCU and horror movies they have 

IT 2 and joker should make them money just cus of the medium budgets 

legendary pictures went back to warner bros in July last year 

detective Pikachu was already finished. Legendary pictures took care of that budget 

Godzilla that’s legendary pictures too 

Welp. I just saw it

tenor.gif

Posted (edited)

I blame Bradley Whitford's hammy delivery in the trailer for this underwhelming OW. I swear that goddawful trailer editing "GOD!"..."...zillaaaa" shaved 10 millions off right off the bat...More like Cringezilla.:gold:

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

I blame Bradley Whitford's hammy delivery in the trailer for this underwhelming OW. I swear that goddawful trailer editing "GOD!"..."...zillaaaa" shaved up 10 millions off right off the bat...More like Cringezilla.:gold:

I'm leading a campaign to get him a razzie for this movie. We meet on Tuesday nights.

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)

I was really disappointed with McCreary's score tbh. I love how he uses Mothra's theme, but the score is huge to the point of having no focus at all. Desplat's score was dense, but there was clarity to the writing and it really impacted the movie. McCreary's overly noisy score playing against the blurry images just makes a load of slop.

Edited by ddddeeee

Posted (edited)

Tremble!!

The Shay is seeing the wretched Kaijū movie in 30m. - in the IMAX it wrongfully took from Aladdin.

If it indeed sucks - I will cut it!

Review here in 3 hours.

PS: Oh, nevermind - I see it is already dead. The Shay never kicks a fallen one.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1

I have thoughts.

There’s a lot I can forgive about for these giant cg action films but I can’t do it with this film. I understand the B+ Cinemascore, the movie is BORING. I was so surprised by how bored I was.

The Humans aren’t “stupid” there’s just so many gaps in the storytelling that makes many of their decisions and character turns seem like they just come out of nowhere. I get what they were going for but they jump to get there. It’s like Daenerys going loopy in Game of Thrones. How did these characters get to believing what they believe?

I left asking myself: Why is there a random American family at the centre of all these disaster films? What’s the reason? I’ve never seen the implementation of a family into these films be so forced. 

The casting director should also get a raise here: the crew of science and “gun people” we follow here all look different from each other. We can tell them apart at a glance, that’s it. They have no distinct personalities. They get no little character arc running in the background. They’re just there. They have Ice Cube Jr and Silicon Valley guy promoting this movie but their characters don’t contribute anything to the movie. They say their 4-5 lines throughout the movie and that’s it.

But what about the action? For reasons unbeknownst to me, a ton of the action takes place in evacuated cities. We got one shot of people running directly from one of the monsters. If they say in the next film that only 7 civilians died due to the events of the last movie I’d probably believe them. I didn’t get the sense that these monsters are scary or dangerous. 

The monster fights are well... ok I guess. There’s an issue that the earlier Transformers films had, you can’t really tell the combatants apart. It looks murky. I couldn’t tell where one monster ended and the other began. I wish the monsters had been more vibrant and more bold. Here’s what the toys look like:

SH-MonsterArts-King-of-Monsters-King-Ghi

The movie makes the character look more like this most of the time:

ghidorah-2.png

A lot of the action that does involve the humans takes place in large airships and submarines. If you’re a big fan of cameras shaking and people falling over in large cockpits and hallways, if this gif is the height of action for you than you’re in for a treat:

4A7Yolq.gif?ssl=1

Mate, I’m not that interested in ever seeing this thing again. I’m just tired, I’m exhausted. Honestly it might be movie that’s more enjoyable to watch at home.

i give it a C (Rental/Stream).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Brainbug said:

@baumer knowing your problems with the 2014 Godzilla, i really think youre gonna love this one.

Awesome! I'm going to try to see this one sometime this week.

• Like 1

The movie is awesome, but the audience isn’t biting. I think it’s a crazy fun summer film. 

I dont think there’s issues with the film itself... critics just don’t know how to review a Godzilla film.

2 hours ago, Galactic Specter said:

GW289H216 

push me to the edge, my IPs are dead 

They still have It Chapter 2. And Joker

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Futurist said:

That like most studios, they have one big exception with the Potter world.

For Disney they have some big co-player on some of them (like long running one say Pirates), but today it is quite rare to see only one logo when a movie start like Disney.

Posted (edited)

It's pretty much the perfect Godzilla movie. It's all of them combined. It's big, it's loud, it's really fucking dumb, but damn, it's a lot of fun.

Also Godzilla and monsters often fought in super evacuated cities in previous entries. Complaining about it is sorta . .. tone deaf.

It feels like a 70s Godzilla movie mixed with a 90s disaster movie with MCU-style effects and action sequences. You can make out which monster is which (if you mistake Godzilla for Ghidorah,  or Rodan for Mothra you either haven't been paying attention or you just woke up after inexplicably sleeping through it).

Outside of a handful of entries, Godzilla has always been really really dumb with characters making stupid decisions and spouting technobabble and lines like "Oh No, Ghidorah is going to destroy the stadium!" 

Simply put, if you don't like Godzilla or think of the series as a joke, you likely won't like this movie.

Just my opinion though. If you don't like it, that's fine. 

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Pacific Rim: 8/10 - Inspiring, adequately original and often beautiful movie. Made by a great auteur director.

Godzilla 2: 2/10 - Horribly boring regurgitated mish-mash, which somehow manages to be even worse and almost uglier than the god-awful rubber suit pseudo-flicks from two centuries ago that it slavishly copies. Made by a nobody - and it shows.

WB, you are a joke. Letting Pacific Rim go because of this Shit-verse?? A terrible mistake. Stop making these, you're embarrassing yourselves. And next time you will really feel it - because if now Godzilla 2 is hardly making 100m domestic, Godzilla/Kong, which is the only possible concept on Earth that could be even DUMBER, will hardly make half of that.

Just let it go. Find some normal stuff for your next would-be franchise.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That like most studios, they have one big exception with the Potter world.

For Disney they have some big co-player on some of them (like long running one say Pirates), but today it is quite rare to see only one logo when a movie start like Disney.

True, though I would argue Bruckheimer was more of a glorified producer than a true partner, he had a stake but nothing like Legendary's partnership with WB, so Pirates is still predominantly produced and distributed by Disney (also Disney IP, a lot of these coproductions/distribution deals involve someone other than the studio owning the IP). That's where Disney really excels, using its own IP and producing + distributing most of its films

I recently caught up with my parents and was shocked to hear they saw KoTM and had a blast watching it (pure walk-ups, wanted to see Rocketman but went to the wrong theater (in Switzerland we have a bunch of tiny theaters that only play a few titles at each location). I've been on the train that fans skewed the perception of positive WOM (I mean, the film's exits were fantastic still shocked with that B+ Cinemascore given the positive/definite reccomend ratings) but after hearing my usually quite critical parents talk about the film, Ive become a true believer in the film's WOM. Even if KoTM isnt a financial success, I do think this film will build goodwill for the franchise among audiences and help to propel Kong v Godzilla