CJohn

Godzilla: King of the Monsters | May 31 2019 | NO SPOILERS

30 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Pacific Rim: 8/10 - Inspiring, adequately original and often beautiful movie. Made by a great auteur director.

Godzilla 2: 2/10 - Horribly boring regurgitated mish-mash, which somehow manages to be even worse and almost uglier than the god-awful rubber suit pseudo-flicks from two centuries ago that it slavishly copies. Made by a nobody - and it shows.

WB, you are a joke. Letting Pacific Rim go because of this Shit-verse?? A terrible mistake. Stop making these, you're embarrassing yourselves. And next time you will really feel it - because if now Godzilla 2 is hardly making 100m domestic, Godzilla/Kong, which is the only possible concept on Earth that could be even DUMBER, will hardly make half of that.

Just let it go. Find some normal stuff for you next would-be franchise.

Can’t take anything serious from this loser right here. If you are bashing the old films “from centuries ago” why the hell would you even watch this film. Get out of here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Seeing this later today hope at least it's a fun time. Hard to get friends to watch any movies atm since it's exam period time. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Can’t take anything serious from this loser right here. If you are bashing the old films “from centuries ago” why the hell would you even watch this film. Get out of here.

You can not even form a logical connection between two statements in consecutive sentences.

I watched this movie, because:

1. I am the biggest motherfucking cinephile in the current world, and I watch and enjoy almost any cinema movie (fuck TV).

2. This movie was marketed as an expensive cutting edge blockbuster. Had I known it looks like the wet dream of an Okinawa teen from the 1950s, who hasn't had the chance to see anything better, I'd have probably skipped it.

Three hours of the Shay life are more valuable than the dubious advantage of knowing how low WB have fallen - and seeing what a tiny nerd fraction here seem to enjoy.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, kaijukurt said:

Finally saw it!! 

A pulpy, globe-trotting adventure that really feels like a Toho film/Godzilla comic through Hollywood lenses. 

I honestly enjoyed the human aspect of the film! Reading the critic reviews, I braced for the worst...but even without keeping my expectations low going in, they were genuinely fun to watch for me. The acting definitely played a big part behind that!! Plus the central drama is well-handled especially for a Godzilla flick. Dialogue was cheesy and of the fun, summer blockbuster kind. 

As for the monsters...Ill admit I was bit underwhelmed with the fight scenes (guess that was an effect of my going over leaks and every released clip imaginable :lol:) Gotta say though the sprinkling of monsters throughout was very very fun and I adored how the plot was nearly always centered about them & their effects on the characters and plot. Wouldnt have minded more monster shots though ;)

The Big 4 each had their moments and were definitely full of life!!!! What a job by Dougherty & co. 

The only scene I was annoyed with was when

Reveal hidden contents

Overall, as a whole I found KOTM to be easily a good film..but thinking about the G14 & KSI, I cant help but think they managed to better execute and stage their big moments & setpieces (like the big G14 Hawaii reveal or the quieter Kong/Mire Squid scene). Did things in KOTM feel a bit more...rushed? I cant really define it rn.

Cant end without saying this: theres a clear love for the franchise on display here and that was incredible to see on the big screen.

I cant see my score being lower than a very solid B+ for this, and I can easily imagine that score going up.

Glad you liked it Kaju Kurt. Hoping we top the 600-700 m plus ww mark

1 minute ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Just hope it somehow passes the $500M mark first

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

You can not even form a logical connection between two statements in consecutive sentences.

I watched this movie, because:

1. I am the biggest motherfucking cinephile in the current world, and I watch and enjoy almost any cinema movie (fuck TV).

2. This movie was marketed as an expensive cutting edge blockbuster. Had I known it looks like the wet dream of an Okinawa teen from the 1950s, who hasn't had the chance to see anything better, I'd have probably skipped it.

Three hours of the Shay life are more valuable than the dubious advantage of knowing how low WB have fallen - and seeing what a tiny nerd fraction here seem to enjoy.

Give me a single frame of PR that was original.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm pretty sure the "hip" youtubers and bloggers that are reviewing Godzilla haven't actually seen a Godzilla movie or just had one on the background one time and says they're a fan.

This is pretty much a supersized Godzilla movie. The human plots, flimsy as they are have always been dominant and sometimes more idiotic and inane than others.

And this film actually tops most of those old films and gives all the monsters amazing amounts of screentime, compared to what they sometimes got in the original films. Ghidorah and Rodan's introductions are spectacular.

1 hour ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Why the hell is a Cinemascore of B looked down on? 

I've never had a good explanation of Cinemascore.

When they are suspected to be very frontloaded fanbase affair, perfectly marketed just the right audience in the room for it like this, a B is generally not a good sign.

Quite different than something that can have attracted a bit surprised by what was offered audience like Wolf of Wall Street that can still legs up from a very mixed word of mouth has long has the half that liked it did love it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheldon Cr said:

We'll be lucky to get to $500M. 

Posted (edited)

How is Shay still tolerated on the site is reallt beyond me?

Who the hell uses third person to refer to himsf consistently?

And spend countless time to watch Aladdin and Alita then claim thid is bad and value his time more than anything else?

Edited by Dbui8743
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Dbui8743 said:

How is Shay still tolerated on the site is reallt beyond me?

Who the hell uses third person to refer to himsf consistently?

And spend countless time to watch Aladdin and Alita then claim thid is bad and value his time more than anything else?

You'd better always look at yourself first. If these 3 unbelievable questions occupy your mind, you probably need some help in dealing with the logic of the world. (My presence here provides some help, but still.)

Facts:

1. This movie disappointed critics, GA and even a sizeable part of its hardcore niche audience.

2. This will hurt its BO earnings substantially.

3. I, personally, hated it - and wrote a single short review here stating so.

4. I can explain very accurately why 1. 2. and 3. happened - but I don't feel like this movie deserves much talk, so that's it. I already made my point with a single post.

If you have problems with any of the 4 above points, take them elsewhere. They don't concern me, just you.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

This movie had too much human screentime and bland characters but the monsters were just beautiful and the action amazing. Godzilla was badass and had nice personality as did the other three main ones. I had a lot of fun and I've definitely been converted to a Godzilla fan now

Eh. It's a C movie. The monster fights are fun but everything around them is bad. Pity. As a huge fan of 2014's Godzilla, I had big hopes for this. Wish Gareth Edwards had stuck around for the franchise. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They damn family drama, again. If there's one thing they didn't learnt from previous mistakes, it's this. 

No one cares about family drama here his, trying to make it dark instead of fun & crazy. 

Look at Kong, no family drama, just bunch of characters, although most were basic still they had interactions & were fun.

They should've focused on Monarch people only, like Kong did on Soldiers. Trying to make it emotional & dramatic & what not.

• Like 1

There’s something coming out of this I’m extremely excited for. KotM is having a great run in Japan. It’s currently having a GREAT Sunday right now even after discount day on Saturday.

Toho is definitely bringing the character back after 2020. Hopefully they expand out though.. even getting a release in China would be ideal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I sorta hope Toho attempts to release their new World of Godzilla continuity in US theaters as well (not just Fathom Events),  or at least allow them to show up on Netflix.

5 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

I sorta hope Toho attempts to release their new World of Godzilla continuity in US theaters as well (not just Fathom Events),  or at least allow them to show up on Netflix.

Yeah I hope they plan on expanding out not just in Japan and the usual Asian countries. They need to get some sort of collaboration with China.

The action was only exciting in parts and all of the best shots were in the trailers. The Spielberg divorce plot was handled so horribly I legitimately didn't give a shit even once during the entire movie. Only character I gave a shit about was Watanabe.

That being said, it's still occasionally rousing when Godzilla comes to the rescue.