CJohn

Godzilla: King of the Monsters | May 31 2019 | NO SPOILERS

RT Verified Audience Score

87% / 4.37 out of 5 / 6,266 reviews

BTW we've all talked about how Gareth Edward's approach me audience dislike Godzilla which directly & indirectly had affect on KOTM. But how many of you personally loved the movie? I for one do. Anyone else?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I loved the movie. Wish it didn't cut away so much in the final battle though.  It really needed a Skull Island final fight to make it perfect for me which it didn't deliver.  Dougherty wasn't as strong of a director as Gareth. As a Godzilla fan though loved the story it's very much in the same vein as the classic ones and all the "pointless exposition" set up the universe the 2014 film should have done.

I'm ready for Godzilla vs. Kong now.

Edited by chaotic-strike
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, chaotic-strike said:

I loved the movie. Wish it didn't cut away so much in the final battle though.  It really needed a Skull Island final fight to make it perfect for me which it didn't deliver.  Dougherty wasn't as strong of a director as Gareth. As a Godzilla fan though loved the story it's very much in the same vein as the classic ones and all the "pointless exposition" set up the universe the 2014 film should have done.

I'm ready for Godzilla vs. Kong now.

Agree with the final battle cutting, it pissed me.

Also about Gareth & Mike, one thing which was missing in KOTM was the sense of scale which first one has, moments like Godzilla's arrival in Hawai & first appearance, Gareth nailed those details. Rest was good, except that family drama lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

BTW we've all talked about how Gareth Edward's approach me audience dislike Godzilla which directly & indirectly had affect on KOTM. But how many of you personally loved the movie? I for one do. Anyone else?

you mean 2014 godzilla? I love that movie. saw multiple times at home too. and will always on my replay list.

9 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Just hope it somehow passes the $500M mark first

4dx review also ... Nice

Mothra had the best character development

Enjoyed it heaps but yeah definitely many moments where I wanted to roll my eyes at.

5 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

I loved Godzilla 2014. I actually forgot just how much until I screened it again Wednesday night before the opening on Thursday. I loved it in 2014, and it holds up well. Now, to be honest, I loved KOTM more. Of course, that was from nostalgia as much as anything. Finally seeing the big 3 in addition to Godzilla was more than I ever expected. But, more than that, I found it to be a great summer movie. I had a smile on my face the majority of the night.

Funny, last night my wife wanted to watch John Wick 3. It was mind-numbing. They complain about KOTM's script? Wick is the worst written, cliche-riddled excuse to film ridiculous action sequences I have experienced since...John Wick 2, lol. I kept looking at my watch. I guess I don't understand what the public wants anymore.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, WP Kelley said:

I loved Godzilla 2014. I actually forgot just how much until I screened it again Wednesday night before the opening on Thursday. I loved it in 2014, and it holds up well. Now, to be honest, I loved KOTM more. Of course, that was from nostalgia as much as anything. Finally seeing the big 3 in addition to Godzilla was more than I ever expected. But, more than that, I found it to be a great summer movie. I had a smile on my face the majority of the night.

Funny, last night my wife wanted to watch John Wick 3. It was mind-numbing. They complain about KOTM's script? Wick is the worst written, cliche-riddled excuse to film ridiculous action sequences I have experienced since...John Wick 2, lol. I kept looking at my watch. I guess I don't understand what the public wants anymore.

I too love both G14 & KOTM but one thing i think g14 got better was the sense of sheer scale of the monsters and awe in many scenes. 

KOTM was more quick in that, more frantic in that department.

While human characters are mostly not upto mark in both (except Cranston & Watanabe) i feel family drama in KOTM was much more worse, i wanted full fight between Godzilla, Mothra & Ghidorah, Rodan instead of cutting back to their shenanigans. 

Overall both were damn good movies, KOTM was much more action packed (monster mania) & G14 had bit more epic feel to it (hawai scene, airport sequence, first reveal etc).

Edited by THUNDER BIRD

44 minutes ago, WP Kelley said:

I think people really go to John Wick to see people killing each other and fully expect everything not to make sense. On top of that the action is well done. Alot of people place value on good old physical action as opposed to cgi monsters trading blows.

And when people question why characters making stupid decisions, i wonder if they have ever faced a giant monster to know what decision to make or if they have lost a kid to a giant monster. And if they say they would make a wise decision if they were in the movie, they are not though. People make stupid decision cause of grief.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Dbui8743 said:

I think people really go to John Wick to see people killing each other and fully expect everything not to make sense. On top of that the action is well done. Alot of people place value on good old physical action as opposed to cgi monsters trading blows.

And when people question why characters making stupid decisions, i wonder if they have ever faced a giant monster to know what decision to make or if they have lost a kid to a giant monster. And if they say they would make a wise decision if they were in the movie, they are not though. People make stupid decision cause of grief.

I agree with all this. The thing about John Wick that critics often praise is that it is a film that "knows what it is". It lets the audience know that the script and logic of it all isnt to be taken too seriously. The audience is there for its distinct action and on that front it delivers. It also harkens back to 1970s B movie action flicks, which is another reason critics give for forgiving the script (I love John Wick by the way, Im not ragging on the film)

The thing is, KoTM knew what it was as well!! So many lines that bordered on meta that cued in the audience that it also shouldnt be taken too serioously! This is something the MCU does as well, and I felt KoTM successfully emulated some of the elements from the MCU (not just the attempts at humor, but the subtle recognition that some things in these movies are inherently silly (without making them totally silly) its a very difficult and delicate tonal balance that they handled effectively).

Honestly, that is one thing I dont think critics gave the film enough credit for. The film was telling you in so many ways to just sit back, have fun, and definitely not to ruminate on how a bomb could restore Godzilla or on dozens of different Mark Russell moments. How did critics get so hung up on these things??

Again, I think critics just dont understand the original Godzilla franchises, and the self-seriousness of G2014 maybe confused them about this KoTM's tone? I dont know, its just sad, because you're right, John Wick gets plenty of passes that KoTM does not, despite KoTM being just as good, if not better, in conveying a similar tone

Edited by Justin4125
  • Like 1

Let's take a step back here. "Awful dialogue" / terrible scripts are insults that can not be hurled at JW or the MCU.

About to head in to my show.

Long live the King....

Ghidorah!

destroy king ghidorah GIF by Nerdist.com

• Like 1

Just now, VenomXXR said:

About to head in to my show.

Long live the King....

Ghidorah!

destroy king ghidorah GIF by Nerdist.com

Go in enjoying it as a Godzilla film... nothing more!

3 hours ago, PDC1987 said:

Let's take a step back here. "Awful dialogue" / terrible scripts are insults that can not be hurled at JW or the MCU.

I didn't see anyone mention Jurassic World or MCU. John Wick is sheer nonsense in the writing department.

• Disbelief 1

16 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

I'm pretty sure the "hip" youtubers and bloggers that are reviewing Godzilla haven't actually seen a Godzilla movie or just had one on the background one time and says they're a fan.

This is pretty much a supersized Godzilla movie. The human plots, flimsy as they are have always been dominant and sometimes more idiotic and inane than others.

And this film actually tops most of those old films and gives all the monsters amazing amounts of screentime, compared to what they sometimes got in the original films. Ghidorah and Rodan's introductions are spectacular.

James (AVGN) has a long history of Godzilla appreciation on his Cinemassacre channel. He didn't really enjoy this entry. Up From the Depths, another channel with extensive Godzilla coverage, is also torn with the film.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

I sorta hope Toho attempts to release their new World of Godzilla continuity in US theaters as well (not just Fathom Events),  or at least allow them to show up on Netflix.

I don't see any Toho Godzilla movies coming to US theaters outside of limited run events like Shin Godzilla did, they'll definitely show up on streaming services though

18 minutes ago, Galactic Specter said:

I don't see any Toho Godzilla movies coming to US theaters outside of limited run events like Shin Godzilla did, they'll definitely show up on streaming services though

Shin Godzilla isn’t even on Netflix in the U.S., last I checked. All Netflix has at the moment are those anime movies, which I just couldn’t get into.