CJohn

Godzilla: King of the Monsters | May 31 2019 | NO SPOILERS

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Shin Godzilla isn’t even on Netflix in the U.S., last I checked. All Netflix has at the moment are those anime movies, which I just couldn’t get into. 

Nobody could, they're cancer. 

3 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I don’t even know who Toho thought the anime movies would be for. The only explanation I can think of is that they were trying to ride off the popularity of Attack on Titan. 

12 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Godzilla-The-Planet-Eater-King-Ghidorah- 

I watched all 3 and bah gawd they are BAD.

12 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t even know who Toho thought the anime movies would be for. The only explanation I can think of is that they were trying to ride off the popularity of Attack on Titan. 

By the time they went in to production, attack on Titan was irrelevant, can't really use it as an excuse. 

As long as they don't have obvious anime waifu chibis, they can't be that bad...can they?

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

This ia awful btw. Little to no redeeming qualities. The monster fights were fun I guess even if poorly shot compared to the first movie.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

James (AVGN) has a long history of Godzilla appreciation on his Cinemassacre channel. He didn't really enjoy this entry. Up From the Depths, another channel with extensive Godzilla coverage, is also torn with the film.

Thanks for mentioning Up From the Depths, very informative videos.

I thought it was OK. 2019 has been a banner year for OK movies so far.

• Like 1

I'll see this online but these low marks are quite a drop from expectations set by the first trailer with that Beethoven (right?) music.  

16 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

As long as they don't have obvious anime waifu chibis, they can't be that bad...can they?

3D anime, 1 movie of story becoming 3 movies of nothing. Oh, and Mechagodzilla is a city, not actually a metal Godzilla. And Ghidorah is 3 heads that come from the sky, have no physical form unless attacking Godzilla and there's no body. 

There's a sad double edged sword to Godzilla I've noticed. 

Some of the major G-fans are disappointed by the film. Some of them have good points but a lot of them tear people down for saying no one goes to Godzilla for the plot/humans.

Except, that's actually mostly true. A lot of people do just go for the monster fights. A lot of G-fans know these movies inside and out, and know the character's names and plots. The average general audience though may have only seen ONE or two Godzilla movies in their life at most,  A lot of them most likely won't be able to tell you the characters name or the plots of the movie like they could some superhero movies, which actually is a solidish comparison to the Godzilla franchise. Most people just remember the scenes with Godzilla.

The thing with KOTM is, they made it nearly two and a half hours long, compared to the 80-90 minute runtimes the original films often had. So the "boring human story" does appear to be more prevalent.

Perhaps they should just have made a 90-100 minute movie with a leaner storyline but keeping all the monster footage. That way the monsters would seem to be in it more.

On 3/2/2019 at 12:36 AM, Hunch said:

It could go as low as $50m OW / $120m total. Van Helsing numbers unadjusted.

I didn't want this to happen. Sad that this will probably be the second to last Godzilla movie for the next few decades.

Edited by Hunch

47 minutes ago, CJohn said:

This ia awful btw. Little to no redeeming qualities. The monster fights were fun I guess even if poorly shot compared to the first movie.

Even the monster fights were underwhelming to me.  Very little clarity in them.  Just looked like a CGI mess.

Edited by That One Guy

25 minutes ago, Hunch said:

I didn't want this to happen. Sad that this will probably be the second to last Godzilla movie for the next few decades.

From a Hollywood studio yes. Toho will be making more after 2020. There’s a market there and select territories again. They will exploit it as much as they can. I bet the next Toho Godzilla will be released in China.

Maybe Godzilla was only meant for select places and limited theater runs. However, I’m extremely happy KotM exists. It’s the perfect Godzilla film.... only the fans and its original markets know this hence why it’s doing really good in Japan.

47 minutes ago, Cookson said:

From a Hollywood studio yes. Toho will be making more after 2020. There’s a market there and select territories again. They will exploit it as much as they can. I bet the next Toho Godzilla will be released in China.

Maybe Godzilla was only meant for select places and limited theater runs. However, I’m extremely happy KotM exists. It’s the perfect Godzilla film.... only the fans and its original markets know this hence why it’s doing really good in Japan.

While I don't expect it to, I think that this movie's failure to light up the box office may cause Toho to rethink how they approach making films in the future.

As much as I loved it, I know a lot of people who didn't.

This movie made me appreciate Kong Skull Island a lot more. Had some fun human characters and things happened in daylight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

James (AVGN) has a long history of Godzilla appreciation on his Cinemassacre channel. He didn't really enjoy this entry. Up From the Depths, another channel with extensive Godzilla coverage, is also torn with the film.

I dont think anyone claimed that KoTM pleased all fans, but clearly many Godzilla reviewers who are ardant fans of the broader franchise are very keen on the film (the majority fall anywhere from enjoyed it to loved it), and I believe even James, who was certainly more critical than most, conceded it was a step up from G2014.

In any case, there is undoubetedly a large disconnect between fans and critics. Bob from the Escapist gave what I think is a great review. Far from objective, its still an excellent summation of what redeems this film in many fans' eyes while also demonstrating why critics are on such a different wavelength from fans. 

You'll be hardpressed to find a film that upon release had a largely positive consensus from the core fanbase that so contrasted with critics' reactions (this excludes the many critically panned films that became embraced by fans years after release). Godzilla fans are notoriously difficult to please, so I think when you see such a large divide it suggests that perhaps understanding this franchise helps to understand this movie, what it offers, and what it was able to accomplish.

I think it could be that it is very difficult to make a Godzilla film that appeases both fans and GA, especially given how relatively niche the audience is in the western hemisphere (I completely agree with Cookson's suggestion about a potential direction for Toho's franchise, though I am still holding out hope for the Monsterverse. I really do believe it has something to offer to everyone). 

I know its hardly a consolation prize, but did you see its ridiculous IMAX stats? 5th biggest global opening ever and WB's second best international IMAX opener. At least those who saw it saw it in the correct format

I think the Monsterverse could continue. Legendary isn't really known for their great business  decisions. I mean they literally made a sequel for Pacific Rim. 

Edited by Hokkaido MUTO

On 6/2/2019 at 12:03 AM, Barnack said:

That like most studios, they have one big exception with the Potter world.

For Disney they have some big co-player on some of them (like long running one say Pirates), but today it is quite rare to see only one logo when a movie start like Disney.

So Disney is the exception more than ever.