Jump to content
CJohn

Godzilla: King of the Monsters | May 31 2019 | NO SPOILERS

Recommended Posts

Oh and yes, the disapointment I had with this, damn.

My 2nd most anticipated of the year.

Even the fights weren't all that despite some impressive and cool shots here and there.

Fuck.

:sadno:

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1
  • Not Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hokkaido MUTO said:

I think the Monsterverse could continue. Legendary isn't really known for their great business  decisions. I mean they literally made a sequel for Pacific Rim. 

This is literally the only thing I can see going for the Monsterverse. Legendary doesn’t have ANYTHING besides Pokémon and this.

 

Maybe they reevaluate these films budgets. 100m good human characters but with two or three decent moments of the monster(s)? Instead of a shit ton of characters make it only about a handful so we can get their story? It’s incredibly hard to know how to make this franchise work properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I am at it :

 

FUCK WARNER

FUCK THEM DEEP

 

I am sick and tired of their tentpoles set pieces set at night, with rain, with storms and dust and their brown, dark yellow, sepia photograpy.

 

YOU CAN'T SEE SHIT

 

FUCK THEM

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

While I am at it :

 

FUCK WARNER

FUCK THEM DEEP

 

I am sick and tired of their tentpoles set pieces set at night, with rain, with storms and dust and their brown, dark yellow, sepia photograpy.

 

YOU CAN'T SEE SHIT

 

FUCK THEM

Never forget:

 

 

Having set pieces in the rain/dark is fine.  Just make sure that things are lit well enough/colors are chosen so you can follow the action.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

While I am at it :

 

FUCK WARNER

FUCK THEM DEEP

 

I am sick and tired of their tentpoles set pieces set at night, with rain, with storms and dust and their brown, dark yellow, sepia photograpy.

 

YOU CAN'T SEE SHIT

 

FUCK THEM

 

It's not about the nighttime or the rain or dust. It's about filmmakers and DPs with little to no eye for visuals, especially when they're dealing with complicated effects. All of those things can make for great stuff in the right hands. 

 

I noticed the photography was much much better when focusing on real actors or objects in the rain or dust. When trained on CGI images....awful. 

Edited by tonytr87
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

 

It's not about the nighttime or the rain or dust. It's about filmmakers and DPs with little to no eye for visuals, especially when they're dealing with complicated effects. All of those things can make for great stuff in the right hands. 

 

I noticed the photography was much much better when focusing on real actors or objects in the rain or dust. When trained on CGI images....awful. 

I think Michael Dougherty was a terrible choice. Everything with the monster fights was a jumbled glob of a mess. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hokkaido MUTO said:

I think the Monsterverse could continue. Legendary isn't really known for their great business  decisions. I mean they literally made a sequel for Pacific Rim. 

 

LOL. Pacific Rim was the ONLY Hollywood kaiju movie that should have ever been made.

 

All the others should have been scraped out before they were born. Godzilla is a joke. To the few fans of the pre-cinema Japanese suit-flicks, I suggest: just keep watching them.

 

Even if these movies were made to look good - which the two WB Godzilla movies never did - they still can not work on any level. They are a product of a very different and limited time, place and mindset. They have to be changed ENTIRELY before anyone in the modern world cares.

 

PS: If you pay me, I'll tell you how.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1
  • Not Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched in imax and everything is pretty clear and crisp for me. 

 

The reason its always dark and rainy is because Ghidora in the movie is a literal storm. Maybe its a conscious decision so they can have most scenes set in the rain. On the contrary, it pays off with mothra.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching it twice in a theater, I just wanna say this regarding the fight scenes:

 

Were they set in the night? Yes.

 

Did that make a incoherent mess? I dont think so. You get to see the big moments play out and see who dishes out which attack. 

 

Most of the shaky cam/blurred moments were shot usually from a ground POV/with humans scrambling in the foreground so I thought it played into the frenzied & chaotic nature of the scenes..especially in the Antarctica battle.(also sure it was a compromise to hide the CGI, but I contend that it worked out both ways). 

 

And also lets not forget that aside from the battles, Dougherty manages to put forth some nice juicy kaiju imagery on screen:

 

-Rodan jet chase leading to Ghidorah? Thats 2 Toho traditions (Rodan dogfights & leading kaiju to fight each other) brought to life in one heck of a sequence. 

-Ghidorah chewing up scenery like he hasnt before?

-Just those and a no. of other scenes. 

 

Plus, when we consider the fact that the movie makes it clear from the start that the world is chock full of Titans and wondering what roles Godzilla & co. have to play, it makes the exposition scenes really flesh out the world in order to make key moments bigger in the film.

 

Like the importance of an Alpha Titan, and Godzilla's victory roar at the end.

Edited by kaijukurt
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never had trouble seeing in the fight scenes so I'm not sure what the issue with the night fights is. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard somewhere that the Kong in Skull Island was actually an adolescent? Really? Already he was as large as Godzilla, no? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lilmac said:

I heard somewhere that the Kong in Skull Island was actually an adolescent? Really? Already he was as large as Godzilla, no? 

 

Adolescent, yes.

 

Size-wise, he was roughly 30 meters in Skull Island to Godzilla's current ~120 meters..but its been made clear hes gonna grow a significant amount. 

Edited by kaijukurt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The brightness of the fights didn't bother me as much as I felt there was a whole lot of shaky cam involved especially in the first fight which is odd since it's a fight between two CGI characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, kaijukurt said:

 

Adolescent, yes.

 

Size-wise, he was roughly 30 meters in Skull Island to Godzilla's current ~120 meters..but its been made clear hes gonna grow a significant amount. 

 

98 feet in Skull Island to Godzilla's current 393 feet!? Wow, I thought he was much much larger 

(this looks like 500 feet).

7f_visitingthesetofkong01.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, lilmac said:

 

98 feet in Skull Island to Godzilla's current 393 feet!? Wow, I thought he was much much larger 

(this looks like 500 feet).

7f_visitingthesetofkong01.jpg

 

Could be some really small rock formations over there. :lol:

 

But yeah, instant size-changing is seen in a lot of monster movies, like how Godzilla himself seemed like 500+ feet in a lot of shots in 2014. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
2
2 hours ago, Dbui8743 said:

The reason its always dark and rainy is because Ghidora in the movie is a literal storm. Maybe its a conscious decision so they can have most scenes set in the rain. On the contrary, it pays off with mothra.

Yeah, this is also a movie which has radiation works 100% differently than it does in real life, so just because it's a storm, doesn't mean it has to look like that.  You can do whatever the hell you want with the colors and visuals.  Use some imagination.

 

AND, let us remember that: the eye of a storm is the region of CALM, and LIGHT and blue skies.  They could have done some really cool like cage match/Thunderdome VFX where the rain and lightning create a ring around the fight.  

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Yeah, this is also a movie which has radiation works 100% differently than it does in real life, so just because it's a storm, doesn't mean it has to look like that.  You can do whatever the hell you want with the colors and visuals.  Use some imagination.

 

AND, let us remember that: the eye of a storm is the region of CALM, and LIGHT and blue skies.  They could have done some really cool like cage match/Thunderdome VFX where the rain and lightning create a ring around the fight.  

 

 

Like I said, it may be conscious decision and it does pay off with other scenes and the meaning they try to convey.

 

I am not defending, i am just giving my interpretation and I really don't have problem with seeing what the monsters are doing. They have more details and most CGI battles with millions fodders.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing this either tomorrow or Wednesday. Most likely in 3D, just due to how the showtimes fit with my own schedule.

 

Anyone seen this in 3D and can comment on whether it is good or not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DAJK said:

Seeing this either tomorrow or Wednesday. Most likely in 3D, just due to how the showtimes fit with my own schedule.

 

Anyone seen this in 3D and can comment on whether it is good or not?

Can't speak for 3D. I only saw it in 2D because the 3D showings happened earlier in the day.

 

What I did see in 2D was perfectly fine, though. I had no complaints about the darkness that everyone else seems to have for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with the fight scenes are both 1) they're somewhat difficult to see and 1) they're not terribly interesting or creative. I know monsters fighting monsters doesn't lend itself to a ton of creativity but in most of these scenes, my eyes were just struggling to focus on anything at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.