CJohn

Godzilla: King of the Monsters | May 31 2019 | NO SPOILERS

Had no issues with seeing fights either

However, seeing this on a different screen for the first time, I noticed there was some sound mixing issues with the soundtrack and monster noise? It sounded quieter than I was led to be expected compared with the IMAX screening. 

55 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Had no issues with seeing fights either

However, seeing this on a different screen for the first time, I noticed there was some sound mixing issues with the soundtrack and monster noise? It sounded quieter than I was led to be expected compared with the IMAX screening. 

The soundtrack did seem quiet at times...like Ghidorah's theme was kinda muted.  

With the drop in Monday for Godzilla in China 

this movie might do less than 375 million 

• Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Minnale101 said:

I mean, let’s see what happens during the holiday weekend there. I know there’s new openers, but let’s see. over 5m Monday isn’t terrible there.

Between 375-400 is what I’m seeing. Can still do really good in Japan. 

Definitely underwhelming though. This run has burnt me out. Might not post as much on these boards for a bit. 

Edited by Cookson
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Cookson said:

I mean, let’s see what happens during the holiday weekend there. I know there’s new openers, but let’s see. over 5m Monday isn’t terrible there.

Definitely underwhelming though. This run has burnt me out. Might not post as much on these boards for a bit. 

Im a huge Pokémon fan and I been there with disappointment of movie not doing expectations with detective Pikachu 

definitely a burn out feeling is there but warner bros still doing okay 

if you arent interested in other movies this summer. Maybe wait until Godzilla vs Kong trailer comes 

Just now, Minnale101 said:

Im a huge Pokémon fan and I been there with disappointment of movie not doing expectations with detective Pikachu 

definitely a burn out feeling is there but warner bros still doing okay 

if you arent interested in other movies this summer. Maybe wait until Godzilla vs Kong trailer comes 

Trailer coming next month for sure st comic con! Unless they push back the release(do t think they will).

With KotM hopefully summer helps with its legs... but as always we’ll see

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Minnale101 said:

Wich monster drop better than Zilla

1 minute ago, Brinatico said:

How much better 

Kotm Monday did 68% Kong skull island Monday in japan 

16 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Jesus Christ, when will you finally accept reality? You've been trying to paint these numbers as anything but awful since thurday, and it's only getting worse.

• Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

37 minutes ago, Cookson said:

I don’t get this line of thinking, are you not here because you enjoy watching/discussing box office? I loved Happy Death Day 2U And was pulling for it to do well, but when it bombed I didn’t feel “burnt out” and leave the board. Accept it and move on, one Godzilla film underperforming isn’t reason to leave. It’s disappointing if you’re a fan, but it’s not something to feel down about. If you enjoyed the film then that’s all that matters, and you’re getting Godzilla Vs Kong regardless of KOTM’s performance.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 2

Yep sub 400m is now looking extremely likely. Easily one of the most embarrassing runs for a blockbuster film in recent times 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 1

Under ALITA ww?!! Who saw that coming at all? And to think that Alita flopped/underperformed in many key markets like China, Japan, UK, South Korea...starting to think that if it was released in Christmas it might have actually legged its way to 500 ww with the openings it got.

32 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Jesus Christ, when will you finally accept reality? You've been trying to paint these numbers as anything but awful since thurday, and it's only getting worse.

I would not say the numbers arw awful. but the film is underperforming.given it's huge budget;to pretend otherwise is denying reality.

But if you think this is bad, check out the spoilers thread for this movie; the refusal to accept reality there is mindblowing.

You also have a lot of blind anger at the critics wheras the blame  should be on Warners/Legendary for not getting a better script. Saw it yesterday, and alhtought the Monster fights are lots of fun, you have to sit through a lot of bad dialogue and silliness to get there.

Variety say the future of the franchise is now up in the air after "Kong/Godzills". There are rumors of a TV show, but I hate to think what a TV show would look like given the much smaller budget they would be working with......

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I mean if dumbo has 170 million dollar budget and doing 350. Million 

that seems like the bigger flop but Godzilla seems like the bigger disappointment 

22 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

There's a sad double edged sword to Godzilla I've noticed. 

Some of the major G-fans are disappointed by the film. Some of them have good points but a lot of them tear people down for saying no one goes to Godzilla for the plot/humans.

Except, that's actually mostly true. A lot of people do just go for the monster fights. A lot of G-fans know these movies inside and out, and know the character's names and plots. The average general audience though may have only seen ONE or two Godzilla movies in their life at most,  A lot of them most likely won't be able to tell you the characters name or the plots of the movie like they could some superhero movies, which actually is a solidish comparison to the Godzilla franchise. Most people just remember the scenes with Godzilla.

The thing with KOTM is, they made it nearly two and a half hours long, compared to the 80-90 minute runtimes the original films often had. So the "boring human story" does appear to be more prevalent.

Perhaps they should just have made a 90-100 minute movie with a leaner storyline but keeping all the monster footage. That way the monsters would seem to be in it more.

Problem is that the n umber of Kaiju fans who go for the monster fights and don't care about anything else is not big enough to justify the kind of money Warners/Legendary are spinding on this film

And the Japanese Godzilla films cost a lot,lot,less then wahy they are spending on the Monstervers franchise..

I liked the monster fights in the movie, but though the writngh for the Humans was often appalingly bad.

Edited by dudalb

4 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

I mean if dumbo has 170 million dollar budget and doing 350. Million 

that seems like the bigger flop but Godzilla seems like the bigger disappointment 

Dumbo was never meant to part of a francjise, it was always a one shot stand alone film. Godzilla KOTM was meant to ignite a major Franchise after a shaky start with Godzilla (2014) and Kong Island. It failed to do so.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Problem is that the n umber of Kaiju fans who go for the monster fights and don't care about anything else is not big enough to justify the kind of money Warners/Legendary are spinding on this film.

I liked the monster fights in the movie, but though the writngh for the Humans was often appalingly bad.

This is definitely where they fell down if you ask me. The trailers pandered to the core fans who will show up to watch giant monsters fight, but they didn’t give the GA enough reason to turn up in terms of the human element. I still maintain that Godzilla (2014) opened as high as it did because they sold it on Bryan Cranston’s character emotionally losing his wife in the trailers. KotM didn’t give you any human characters to care about in the trailers, it had a few people squabbling about what to do with Godzilla and Millie Bobby Brown doing her tired “staring off into the distance while looking concerned” schtick. There was no hook beyond “big monsters fighting”, and that’s just not enough.

• Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:32 PM, Cookson said:

Can’t take anything serious from this loser right here. If you are bashing the old films “from centuries ago” why the hell would you even watch this film. Get out of here.

Hey, it's Shay. You expect logic and c ommon sense.

What is amusing is that the Pacific Rim franchise was a bust at the box office seems to have slipped by Shay.

Sadly, look like the Monasterverse is headed down the same path. I think Kong vs Godzilla will be the last one in the franchsie unless the box office really picks up for that film.

• Like 1
  • Not Cool 1