CJohn

Godzilla: King of the Monsters | May 31 2019 | NO SPOILERS

28 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Dumbo was never meant to part of a francjise, it was always a one shot stand alone film. Godzilla KOTM was meant to ignite a major Franchise after a shaky start with Godzilla (2014) and Kong Island. It failed to do so.

I wouldn’t call Skull Island “shaky”. It had pretty solid legs for a monster movie, and not counting the Jurassic Park franchise, it’s the highest grossing monster movie worldwide. 

• Like 3

Stated this in the spoiler thread, but just want to bring this up here. 

Given that PostTrak/Deadline reported an OW audience turnout of around 70% male...clearly a lot of work has to be done towards making stories with more appeal. 

I guess that that was the reason MBB & Farmiga were cast but looks it didnt bring in much of an audience (ofc, reviews/GA reactions clearly had an effect on people on the fence). 

5 minutes ago, kaijukurt said:

Given that PostTrak/Deadline reported an OW audience turnout of around 70% male...clearly a lot of work has to be done towards making stories with more appeal. 

I guess that that was the reason MBB & Farmiga were cast but looks it didnt bring in much of an audience (ofc, reviews/GA reactions clearly had an effect on people on the fence). 

I mean there’s not much to do in that area 

monster movies in general are high male turn out 

females went to watch Aladdin and Ma. 

Maybe godzilla and mothea can have kids or something lol

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Yep sub 400m is now looking extremely likely. Easily one of the most embarrassing runs for a blockbuster film in recent times 

Solow was FAR more embarrassing than this, it's not even close to this FLOP.

Just now, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

That’s why I said “one” of the most embarrassing 

• ...wtf 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, kaijukurt said:

I noticed that too.

Audiences became even more male after opening day/Thursday.

Deadline: "3rd Update, Friday Midday: [...] Caucasians were less than 50% of the crowd with very good turnout by Hispanic (24%) and Asian moviegoers (13%). West coast business is bound to be very good. Male heavy as expected at 70%, with leading demos being men over 25 (41%), men under 25 (29%), females over 25 (18%) and females under 25 (12%). Interestingly, females like the movie a little bit more than guys, 87% to 84%. (May 31, 2019)

Variety: "However, the latest installment in the Godzilla series didn’t extend its appeal beyond its male-driven fanbase. Boys and men accounted for 76% of opening weekend moviegoers, with 59% of that group clocking in over the age of 25. Studios want franchises to grow, or at least maintain, their audience over the course of new installments. It’s never a good sign when crowds dramatically shrink after only three iterations." (June 2, 2019)

Found some comparisons:

Kong: Skull Island 56% male opening weekend

Godzilla 2014 58% male opening weekend

comparison to big movies (2 weeks exit data)

EDIT: Maybe it was their typo; else is it only talking about 67% over the age of 25 being male?

Variety: "That core demographic consists mostly of older male moviegoers, with 59% over the age of 25 and 67% male. Audiences also shelled out to see the monster movie in top quality, as Imax screens accounted for $8.1 million of domestic ticket sales. Directed by Michael Dougherty, “Godzilla: King of the Monsters” sees the titular monster who facing off against his nemesis, King Ghidorah, and other ancient mythic creatures who are wreaking havoc on Earth. The film stars Kyle Chandler, Millie Bobby Brown and Bradley Whitford." (June 2, 2019)

Edited by MagnarTheGreat
added comparisons; update
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, kaijukurt said:

I said before you need to put shirtless scenes of Alexander Skarsgård in GvK

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I said before you need to put shirtless scenes of Alexander Skarsgård in GvK

THE V

ITS POWER

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

That’s why I said “one” of the most embarrassing 

It still had the 84th highest global opening of all time. Not exactly embarrassing. Not good but nowhere near embarrassing.

5 minutes ago, McClintonforThree said:

It still had the 84th highest global opening of all time. Not exactly embarrassing. Not good but nowhere near embarrassing.

G14 had the 70th best global opening. KOTM opened to about $18m less globally.

Totally absolutely legit not embarrassing.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, kaijukurt said:

They needed more recognizable actors I Imagine. Skull Island had John Goodman, Samuel Jackson,  Brie Larson and Tom Hiddleson and John C Riley's character elevated that movie.

The most important thing is making a good movie though and I think Legendary constantly giving their monster verse films to indie style tier directors and writers is hurting them. You need a strong script and an engaging story line for these kind of movies. I like Trick R Treat and Krampus, but they are completely different films than a big styled Hollywood blockbuster.  This film needed more payoff as well. Why are we focusing on the truck while Ghidorah and Godzilla are beating the piss outta of each other? It just feels like these indie directors are making stupid mistakes that ultimately hurts their film.

If Legendary or whoever next pick ups the Godzilla rights are going to have to wait a while to make another Godzilla film and look pretty close at what went wrong with KOTM and Godzilla 2014.

Edited by chaotic-strike

14 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Wait until Dark Phoenix opens. That's going to make both KotM and Solo look better in comparison, based on what I'm seeing so far. That said, all are or will be pretty massive failures from a financial point of view.

• ...wtf 1

I guess if there’s a plus side to this movie underperforming like it is, it’s that people are perhaps starting to realize that something like Shazam! didn’t really do that badly. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chaotic-strike said:

This month sure was crammed with movies. No one really won except Disney. 

Dont forget Lionsgate with JW3. What a journey for that franchise. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I don't agree. KotM didn't get a 200M budget with this kind of run in mind. If that's not embarrassing I don't know what is. The situation would be totally different if we were talking about a 100M budget movie.

At least fans of the franchise got this film, and will get GvK because it is already in the can as they say. Barring a miracle that should be all she wrote, though.

• ...wtf 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Jesus Christ, when will you finally accept reality? You've been trying to paint these numbers as anything but awful since thurday, and it's only getting worse.

2 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

I don’t get this line of thinking, are you not here because you enjoy watching/discussing box office? I loved Happy Death Day 2U And was pulling for it to do well, but when it bombed I didn’t feel “burnt out” and leave the board. Accept it and move on, one Godzilla film underperforming isn’t reason to leave. It’s disappointing if you’re a fan, but it’s not something to feel down about. If you enjoyed the film then that’s all that matters, and you’re getting Godzilla Vs Kong regardless of KOTM’s performance.

As I just said in the WE thread, maybe have some empathy for folks who don't process failure the same way you do?

Not a huge ask, IMO.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 6

48 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

32 minutes ago, doublejack said:

I don't agree. KotM didn't get a 200M budget with this kind of run in mind. If that's not embarrassing I don't know what is. The situation would be totally different if we were talking about a 100M budget movie.

Man, selling sarcasm is really difficult on the internet these days.

Posted (edited)

No way is Toho going to extend the contract 

this will be the last American Godzilla movie for about 20 years 

Edited by John Marston
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

No way is Toho going to extend the contract 

this will be the last American Godzilla movie for about 20 years 

Well there’s still GvsKong