CJohn

Godzilla: King of the Monsters | May 31 2019 | NO SPOILERS

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

No way is Toho going to extend the contract 

this will be the last American Godzilla movie for about 20 years 

Except Godzilla vs. Kong is in the can and going through post-production.

Just now, NoobSaibot said:

Except Godzilla vs. Kong is in the can and going through post-production.

I mean Godzilla stand alone movie 

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

I mean Godzilla stand alone movie 

I'm also pretty sure Toho would be more than willing to extend the contract if certain provisions are included.

However, it's also a matter of whether or not WB/Legendary bite. They could say no even if it's offered. Both sides have a stake in this.

I see no reason to continue with Kong even if Godzilla rights aren't renewed. Or, do they lose Kong rights as well? 

Godzilla v. Kong will be a success. I'm convinced of that. 

Keep the Kong rolling. Keep the non Toho monsters rolling.

Posted (edited)

Guess I'm happy for this movie being good, and 2014 and hopefully GvK will be good too.

But yeah sadly, probably will only have Toho Godzilla movies to look forward to watching. Which I love, don't get me wrong, I own most of them, if  not all, blu ray, but I was hoping to keep the WB ones going too.

Edited by 75Live
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/22/2018 at 8:49 AM, MOVIEGUY said:

This trailer is so god damn good I don't think there's any way the actual movie can even come close to it. Just for the fact that the movie won't be able to have Clair de Lune blasting triumphantly anytime one of the monsters does something cool. Or maybe it can. Yeah, just do that, the last act of this movie should just be giant monsters fucking shit up to this song. 

Yup, I knew when that first trailer dropped there was no way the movie was going to be that good, it just couldn't be, that first trailer was a near masterpiece. But I didn't think the gap in quality between the two would be THIS big. The monster action was cool and all, and I know boring, borderline nonsensical human business is par for the course in a Godzilla movie, but man the writing in this was pretty painfully, unable-to-overlook dumb. Even when the crap reviews started coming in I was still holding out hope it might be better than what critics were saying, I think the trailer was just that good. At least I can enjoy the fight scenes on Youtube for years to come, which I guess is the way this movie is supposed to be enjoyed.

Oh to go back to around this time last year when we had much higher hopes for this 

Edited by MOVIEGUY

On 6/2/2019 at 1:08 PM, WP Kelley said:

I didn't see anyone mention Jurassic World or MCU. John Wick is sheer nonsense in the writing department.

JW = John Wick.

RT Verified Audience Score

86% / 4.29 out of 5 / 11,962 review

I wholly enjoyed this movie and it yet again proves to me why Critics, Verified or other, hold no sway for me in what movies I should see. 

Great flick!! Underappreciated but hoping for good WOM to carry it through summer. 

• Like 4

I didn't think this was that good at all. It had its moments, and I wasn't wishing it to be over or anything, but for every improvement it made over Zilla 2014, it took another step back somewhere else. 

Some of the action was fun. But it had just as many stupid (if not more) moments as the last one. Also reminded me how great of a director Edwards is. He really brought something to the last one that I don't think Dougherty was able to replicate.

If I were to rank the monsterverse it would basically be

Skull Island

KotM

Godzilla

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I didn't think this was that good at all. It had its moments, and I wasn't wishing it to be over or anything, but for every improvement it made over Zilla 2014, it took another step back somewhere else. 

Some of the action was fun. But it had just as many stupid (if not more) moments as the last one. Also reminded me how great of a director Edwards is. He really brought something to the last one that I don't think Dougherty was able to replicate.

If I were to rank the monsterverse it would basically be

Skull Island

KotM

Godzilla

It was my biggest problem with this movie, it didn't have any authorial identity, it looks like one of these Disney movies that are basically made by the producers using directors as muppets only. It needed an identity, and despite the problems, both G14 and Kong delivered on this aspect, IMO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

It was my biggest problem with this movie, it didn't have any authorial identity, it looks like one of these Disney movies that are basically made by the producers using directors as muppets only. It needed an identity, and despite the problems, both G14 and Kong delivered on this aspect, IMO.

Agree, but concerning the Disney remakes, I do feel like Ritchie and Burton brought their own vision to their projects. I would like to say Favreau did as well, but he doesn't really have a signature to leave on his movies, as pretty much every movie he makes is completely different. 

23 hours ago, Minnale101 said:

I mean if dumbo has 170 million dollar budget and doing 350. Million 

that seems like the bigger flop but Godzilla seems like the bigger disappointment 

Considering the similar budgets and the projected DOM/OS/China splits - Dumbo is looking to make or rather lose about the same $ during theatrical if Godz 2 does $400m WW.  Also similar to Alita.

GODZILLA 2 @ $400m (Projections)

US: 110 x .55 =  $60m

China: 120 x .23 = $27.6m

OS-C: 170 x .40 = $68m

=$155.6m

DUMBO @ $351m

US: 114 x .55 = $62.7m

China: 21.9 x .23 = $5.04m

OS-C: 215 x .40 = $86m

= $153.737m

ALITA @405m WW

US:  85.7 x .55 =  $47.135m

China: 133.4 x .23 = $30.68m

OS-C: 185.7 x .40 = $74.28m

=$152.095m

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Who's gonna win DOM? Dumbo or Godzilla?

Godz 2 is going to need about a 2.386 multi to beat Dumbo domestically - so my guess is Dumbo  - looking at it's front loaded o/w internal multi.  But maybe not if it has solid summer days legs

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Considering the similar budgets and the projected DOM/OS/China splits - Dumbo is looking to make or rather lose about the same $ during theatrical if Godz 2 does $400m WW.  Also similar to Alita.

GODZILLA 2 @ $400m (Projections)

US: 110 x .55 =  $60m

China: 120 x .23 = $27.6m

OS-C: 170 x .40 = $68m

=$155.6m

DUMBO @ $351m

US: 114 x .55 = $62.7m

China: 21.9 x .23 = $5.04m

OS-C: 215 x .40 = $86m

= $153.737m

ALITA @405m WW

US:  85.7 x .55 =  $47.135m

China: 133.4 x .23 = $30.68m

OS-C: 185.7 x .40 = $74.28m

=$152.095m

How big of a loss altia. Seems like it’s decent sized loss than not good blu ray sales could make it break even like some would say 

14 hours ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Oh to go back to around this time last year when we had much higher hopes for this 

Mothra spreading her wings to Claire De Lune is such a beautiful moment

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Mothra spreading her wings to Claire De Lune is such a beautiful moment

Was that part actually in the movie? I don't remember it, I just remember Mothra losing her shit the second they wake her up.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Was that part actually in the movie? I don't remember it, I just remember Mothra losing her shit the second they wake her up.

not giving anything away, but putting it in spoilers, just in case and to be very over the top cautious

Spoiler

yes Mothra spreading her wings like that was in the movie.  after she emerged from her metamorphosis 

Edited by 75Live

20 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

How big of a loss altia. Seems like it’s decent sized loss than not good blu ray sales could make it break even like some would say 

Doubtful that Home video + TV will be enough - especially since it's biggest market by far has almost non existent ancillaries.  If the US/China numbers were flipped it would have a better chance.   That does't mean it might not have along life on Hulu/Disney +

• Like 1
  • Not Cool 1