CJohn

Godzilla: King of the Monsters | May 31 2019 | NO SPOILERS

Posted (edited)

Optimistically can see 425 WW with Dom + Ch + OS-Ch break-down of 115 + 145 + 165 (45 J + 120 OS-Ch-J)

Gives theatrical returns of approx

115 * 0.55 + 145 * 0.25 + 165 * 0.40 = 165+

Dom and OS-Ch-J need 2.4x and 2.35x multi to hit their marks respectively.

China needs 2.05x. Japan needs around 5x.

Edited by a2k

This is probably the most disappointing film I've seen in a very long time, which is quite a bit considering how out of this world excited I was thanks to those trailers WB put out. They really know how to craft great trailers, even if their films aren't up to snuff.

9 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

This is probably the most disappointing film I've seen in a very long time, which is quite a bit considering how out of this world excited I was thanks to those trailers WB put out. They really know how to craft great trailers, even if their films aren't up to snuff.

Well maybe you miss Dumbo, hellboy, and most recently Dark Phoenix 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Brinatico said:

The difference between those films and KOTM is that I was actually excited for the latter. Which made the final product even more disappointing.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Brinatico said:

Yea no one was excited for those films (except maybe Hellboy, but many did not like the trailers or the Perlman replacement). Im a bit disappointed with Dark Phoenix, but it was an obvious flop given the state of the studio's transition and other behind the scenes drama

The hype was big KoTM, but I also think for a lot of fans it lived up to expectations (myself included). Im sorry Rorshach that it didnt for you. You're right about WB too, their trailers are always great, but relative to their trailers their films are often so-so (leading to disappointment)

KoTM had a great day in China. After OW the high end of estimates was 120M, with many thinking it would do less due to competition. Looks like KoTM is holding much better than expected! 

21 hours ago, a2k said:

Optimistically can see 425 WW with Dom + Ch + OS-Ch break-down of 115 + 145 + 165 (45 J + 120 OS-Ch-J)

Gives theatrical returns of approx

115 * 0.55 + 145 * 0.25 + 165 * 0.40 = 165+

Dom and OS-Ch-J need 2.4x and 2.35x multi to hit their marks respectively.

China needs 2.05x. Japan needs around 5x.

Im feeling this breakdown. If this comes to pass and GvK performs well, Im pretty confident the Monsterverse will continue!

Edited by Justin4125
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

I think one other issue people aren't taking into consideration is that Toho is distributing in Japan.

This means they either get a cut of, or all of the money grossed there. I'm not sure what the agreement is.

If it's all of the money, then you may as well take Japan off of the list.

Edited by NoobSaibot

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Justin4125 said:

Yea no one was excited for those films (except maybe Hellboy, but many did not like the trailers or the Perlman replacement). Im a bit disappointed with Dark Phoenix, but it was an obvious flop given the state of the studio's transition and other behind the scenes drama

The hype was big KoTM, but I also think for a lot of fans it lived up to expectations (myself included). Im sorry Rorshach that it didnt for you. You're right about WB too, their trailers are always great, but relative to their trailers their films are often so-so (leading to disappointment)

KoTM had a great day in China. After OW the high end of estimates was 120M, with many thinking it would do less due to competition. Looks like KoTM is holding much better than expected! 

Im feeling this breakdown. If this comes to pass and GvK performs well, Im pretty confident the Monsterverse will continue!

I think wom can get this to 500+m ww all. So we are looking at 200m plus in china and 50-60m in Japan?

Edited by Sheldon Cr

-70% second weekend is unspinnable...it's a colossal failure. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bishop54 said:

Unfortunately yes. At least it’s holding extremely well in China, and doing pretty decent in Japan. The only positives out it.

GvsKong will have to make up the difference.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cookson said:

Unfortunately yes. At least it’s holding extremely well in China, and doing pretty decent in Japan. The only positives out it.

GvsKong will have to make up the difference.

Hey my man, you still on TK? If so would you set them straight on the BO? Buncha clueless guys over there. Also tell them their boy Underworld warned them 5 years ago that G14 was toxic and it was going to hurt this film, and it has.

100 dom + 140 Ch + 35 J + 110 OS-Ch-J = 385 ww

approx theatrical returns, 100*0.55 + 140*0.25 + 145*0.40 = 148

3 hours ago, Bishop54 said:

Same ballpark as G2014, only the numbers are much smaller. Stick a fork in the monsterverse.

7 hours ago, Sheldon Cr said:

I think wom can get this to 500+m ww all. So we are looking at 200m plus in china and 50-60m in Japan?

No, no and no (well maybe yes for Japan). It is 100% not reaching 200 million+ in China.

58 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Hey my man, you still on TK? If so would you set them straight on the BO? Buncha clueless guys over there. Also tell them their boy Underworld warned them 5 years ago that G14 was toxic and it was going to hurt this film, and it has.

Bishop54 = Underworld ?

The monster action scenes are great but damn is the plot idiotic, the motivations of some of the characters...wow. Basically reminded me of Pa Kent from MOS and the entire BVS and luthor’s motivations. Also too militaristic, the second JW was also awful in this regard and if they are planning to have a “Dinos for weapons” plot in the third one we are doomed.

34 minutes ago, Hokkaido MUTO said:

Bishop54 = Underworld ?

Yep...hey you're a member there...tell your boys I was right all these years. 

6 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Yep...hey you're a member there...tell your boys I was right all these years. 

Were you the one that said Godzilla vs Kong is never happening or was that someone else?

Full disclosure: I haven't seen this, yet, but curious...

I got to be in the room for a great 2-hour talk at Cannes with Zhang Ziyi, and she was pretty honest about the nature of perfunctory Hollywood roles that have been thrown her way over the years, and that she's rejected a lot of them due to that.  But she was also pretty gushy about claiming that her role in Godzilla: KOTM was "a real character"...and not a trope.

Maybe it was there on paper or in what they originally shot, but...I suppose even that's not true in the final cut of this? 

9 minutes ago, Hokkaido MUTO said:

Were you the one that said Godzilla vs Kong is never happening or was that someone else?

It's been filmed, of course it'll happen. I told the board how toxic G14 was and to expect the worst for KOTM, but nope...they're a delirious bunch.