CJohn

Godzilla: King of the Monsters | May 31 2019 | NO SPOILERS

5 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Full disclosure: I haven't seen this, yet, but curious...

I got to be in the room for a great 2-hour talk at Cannes with Zhang Ziyi, and she was pretty honest about the nature of perfunctory Hollywood roles that have been thrown her way over the years, and that she's rejected a lot of them due to that.  But she was also pretty gushy about claiming that her role in Godzilla: KOTM was "a real character"...and not a trope.

Maybe it was there on paper or in what they originally shot, but...I suppose even that's not true in the final cut of this? 

That's not true...everyone including her was a paper thin "character."

Yup. There’s no way of spinning it. This movie is not doing well at all. People have been going on about what a bunch of disappointments Shazam! and Detective Pikachu were, but the way this movie’s been performing is the real disappointment. 

2 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

It's been filmed, of course it'll happen. I told the board how toxic G14 was and to expect the worst for KOTM, but nope...they're a delirious bunch.

What I mean was that there was some guy a very long time ago who said Godzilla vs Kong will never happen. Was just curious if it was you or not.

Anyhow, yeah, there is definitely some delusional people. I don't think they're as delusional as well...someone who's on these forums.

4 minutes ago, Hokkaido MUTO said:

What I mean was that there was some guy a very long time ago who said Godzilla vs Kong will never happen. Was just curious if it was you or not.

Anyhow, yeah, there is definitely some delusional people. I don't think they're as delusional as well...someone who's on these forums.

Could have been me, who would have thought the studio would have gave that the green light before seeing how KOTM performed. Dumb studio.

• Like 1

So... what kind of Godzilla film do people want? Evil, horror, bad guy Godzilla destroying everything? Could be honestly.

I just think GODZILLA is a niche thing for westerners, and will always be.  It doesn't quite work outside of its own cultural context and history.  One movie every ten or twenty years, but Americans don't understand an ongoing franchise out of this.  It doesn't communicate the same way that superhero films do (even though those have arguably also become equally redundant). 

And it was FIVE YEARS since the last one...this felt like a new movie to many...thus a further disconnection. 

6 minutes ago, Cookson said:

So... what kind of Godzilla film do people want? Evil, horror, bad guy Godzilla destroying everything? Could be honestly.

Whatever it is, they prefer a disaster film with our main A-list star characters that aren’t bland dealing with it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I just think GODZILLA is a niche thing for westerners, and will always be.  It doesn't quite work outside of its own cultural context and history.  One movie every ten or twenty years, but Americans don't understand an ongoing franchise out of this.  It doesn't communicate the same way that superhero films do (even though those have arguably also become equally redundant). 

And it was FIVE YEARS since the last one...this felt like a new movie to many...thus a further disconnection. 

American moviegoers can eat up whack like Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen and Jurassic World like Jolly Ranchers but KOTM, they draw a  line in the sand like "this is too dumb for me! Fuck this shit!".

Didn't really like the movie (Vera Farmiga's character writing :WHATanabe::winomg::wintf::gold:) but for me, it was as mind-numbingly wacky and illogical as a Jurassic World. Mothra's and Rodan's awakening were better than anything in JW1&2. KOTM felt like a Godzilla movie directed by Michael Bay and written by Colin Trevorrow.

As for Zhang Ziyi, I didn't really pick up the twins storyline and their spiritual connection to Mothra through generations all that much, maybe there was much more to it that was cut (I heard about twins singing Mothra's song) emphasizing that connection, that's why she was gushing about her part(s).

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Macleod said:

GZ98 did 136 back then before the premium screens, 3D and unadjusted. That's a lot of money today.

GZ14 opened to 93. USA was willing to give it a chance but imo both movies were not that entertaining.

GZ19 had no continuity in human leads while continuing Godzilla. It also introduces monsters obscure to the GA and made them very central to the marketing making it look fanboyish. These 2 factors along with the mixed reaction to GZ14 doomed it.

(By some magic they should have brought back Cranston. Easy to say these things now though)

35 minutes ago, Cookson said:

A movie where the human characters aren’t morons.

27 minutes ago, a2k said:

GZ98 did 136 back then before the premium screens, 3D and unadjusted. That's a lot of money today.

GZ14 opened to 93. USA was willing to give it a chance but imo both movies were not that entertaining.

GZ19 had no continuity in human leads while continuing Godzilla. It also introduces monsters obscure to the GA and made them very central to the marketing making it look fanboyish. These 2 factors along with the mixed reaction to GZ14 doomed it.

(By some magic they should have brought back Cranston. Easy to say these things now though)

98 and 14 movies had novelty. They were also marketed more as disaster movies with a giant monster rather than as “Godzilla” movie s

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cookson said:

I don't think that aspect is the issue. It's just a lot of people have a hard time getting invested in the thin human characters that have been written, so it makes them not care about the action onscreen. For me, Godzilla's resurrection moment was truly awesome, but most people don't get emotional attachment to monsters no matter how cool they are. Give people humans to root for so they can feel the same kind of impact that Zilla fans got in those moments and the film would do much better. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, John Marston said:

98 and 14 movies had novelty. They were also marketed more as disaster movies with a giant monster rather than as “Godzilla” movie s

interesting. 

i think the bottomline is that human character arc is king.

5 minutes ago, Menor said:

I don't think that aspect is the issue. It's just a lot of people have a hard time getting invested in the thin human characters that have been written, so it makes them not care about the action onscreen. For me, Godzilla's resurrection moment was truly awesome, but most people don't get emotional attachment to monsters no matter how cool they are. Give people humans to root for so they can feel the same kind of impact that Zilla fans got in those moments and the film would do much better. 

Well, I think that would mean

a less big spectacle cgi monster battle story and more focus on human characters. Hmmmm sounds like G14. Maybe Gareth Edwards had the right idea?

16 minutes ago, Cookson said:

a less big spectacle cgi monster battle story and more focus on human characters. Hmmmm sounds like G14. Maybe Gareth Edwards had the right idea?

Except for doing 2 major mistakes: Killing the best character and deliberately cutting away from the action set pieces. 

He should’ve let those two battles go on for a tiny bit as a “snack” for the audience. 

7 minutes ago, Hokkaido MUTO said:

Except for doing 2 major mistakes: Killing the best character and deliberately cutting away from the action set pieces. 

He should’ve let those two battles go on for a tiny bit as a “snack” for the audience. 

Yeah, I’m saying he had the right idea but didn’t quite execute it properly. Human stuff was fine... monster stuff should have went on a little longer etc.

29 minutes ago, Cookson said:

wrong execution. no memorable characters.

larson, jackson, tom, reilly, etc were all game enough in skull island.

Just a nick, folks... I know the movie is kind of flopping, but in your (much appreciated) answers, I've already come across multiple things I would consider narrative spoilers, having not ready many reviews, etc. 

:WHATanabe:

4 hours ago, Hokkaido MUTO said:

No, no and no (well maybe yes for Japan). It is 100% not reaching 200 million+ in China.

Had folks experienced the 3d 4dx version of Godzilla this would have been a deep billion dollar film. Without 3d 4dx inwould still give this film a 7- 8 out of 10. It had everything. That 2014 godzilla didn't but the very little Godzilla and weak enemies of Godzilla 14 definitely hurt Koam.  Still audience wom is stellar so after phoenix saga cools who knows.😜 Hope this still reaches 400 mil ww 

1 hour ago, Cookson said:

Nah, keep the cool monster action from KOTM and make the human characters actually interesting. They got a decent amount of screentime in KOTM already.

• Like 1