CJohn

Godzilla: King of the Monsters | May 31 2019 | NO SPOILERS

3 hours ago, Cookson said:

So... what kind of Godzilla film do people want? Evil, horror, bad guy Godzilla destroying everything? Could be honestly.

Naah I like him as the anti hero but still the good guy.

6 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

American moviegoers can eat up whack like Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen and Jurassic World like Jolly Ranchers but KOTM, they draw a  line in the sand like "this is too dumb for me! Fuck this shit!".

Didn't really like the movie (Vera Farmiga's character writing :WHATanabe::winomg::wintf::gold:) but for me, it was as mind-numbingly wacky and illogical as a Jurassic World. Mothra's and Rodan's awakening were better than anything in JW1&2. KOTM felt like a Godzilla movie directed by Michael Bay and written by Colin Trevorrow.

As for Zhang Ziyi, I didn't really pick up the twins storyline and their spiritual connection to Mothra through generations all that much, maybe there was much more to it that was cut (I heard about twins singing Mothra's song) emphasizing that connection, that's why she was gushing about her part(s).

Monsters are too big for genuine human interaction.

watched 2014 one yesterday again, maybe 4th time since it was released.  still great.

it will always be my fav film.. while I will ignore new one.. lol it's like Prometheus and Alien: Covenant to me.

• Haha 1

Watching this in IMAX right now, half way through, intermission going on. So far liking what I am seeing. Monster action is already better than the first movie, Humans not so much

Humans/stroy in kotm is infinitely more dumb than prometheus+covenant combined.

That takes talent to pull off.

Rest of it was great.

Posted (edited)

I liked this, much more than the 2014 one. The visuals and action is so much better in this. Even though a lot of it is obscured in dust and rain and clouds, it is still a vast improvement over the first one in that you can actually see what the hell is happening. 

I didnt mind the human part, i thought it was better than the first one (except Cranston). But still the actions of the humans, in particular what starts and drives the plot is insanely stupid. And some of the dialogue is very bad. 

Some of the animation looked funny and fake like the shot of Godzilla you see running (the one in the trailer). There are some things that happen in the movie which should be impossible, even in a movie like this. 

This is just pure popcorn fun and it doesn’t pretend to be otherwise. Its just turn off your brain and enjoy the monster mayhem kind of movie.  Cannot wait for GvK

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Godzilla 1998 and 2014 all had smoke filled obscured fights. So frustrating. It's obvious that they are hiding the CG.

Skull Island actually had some decent fights though.

• Like 1

Sorry if this sounds like gatekeeping but anyone who says that the Rolan Emmerich film is better than this should not call themselves a Godzilla fan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw KotM today. I took 3 of my kids to see SLOP2 and then the 3 year old and I went to see KotM while the 10 and 16 year olds (both girls) went to see Aladdin.

The good news is my little guy liked KotM more than he liked SLOP2. I did not anticipate that at all. The bad news is I went into KotM with very low expectations, and I found even those were not met. KotM is not in the conversation for the worst movie I've ever seen, but I thought it was truly bad. I'd put it in the same category as Battleship. Really boring, terrible writing, most of it was absurdly unbelievable and the acting was subpar. What really did it in for me, though, was the monster fighting. That was a "can't see anything" snoozefest. Why do NA audiences eat up Transformers and not Godzilla? The action in Transformers is so far superior that the two aren't even comparable. That's my take. Maybe I'm crazy, but the BO run says there could be some smoke to my theory.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, doublejack said:

What really did it in for me, though, was the monster fighting. That was a "can't see anything" snoozefest. Why do NA audiences eat up Transformers and not Godzilla? The action in Transformers is so far superior that the two aren't even comparable. That's my take. Maybe I'm crazy, but the BO run says there could be some smoke to my theory.

Do you think the theater itself could have been a factor? I watched KOTM on a different theater after my first watch, and the differences were jarring.

On my first watch, even with the scenes set in the night I could still clearly discern the flow of the action & which character/monster was doing what. Other members here also seem to share the sentiment as well. (Ofc others share the sentiment too of not seeing much during the action 😅)

In my other screening, the movie as a whole was frustratingly dark. The 3rd act became really underwhelming because of that. 

Btw Im glad you decided to check KOTM out for yourself!!! Also the fact that your kid enjoyed it! 

Edited by kaijukurt

I don't think anything in the movie was too dark on both of my viewings (IMAX 2D & regular screen). IMAX definitely had better sound, though.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Not really said:

IMAX definitely had better sound, though.

For sure. I remember I was in a 2D showing and getting really hyped up for the Mothra theme to kick in (since I’ve already seen the movie prior to it and so I knew when it was going to cue in) and boy was it low and underwhelming. 

17 hours ago, kaijukurt said:

Do you think the theater itself could have been a factor? I watched KOTM on a different theater after my first watch, and the differences were jarring.

On my first watch, even with the scenes set in the night I could still clearly discern the flow of the action & which character/monster was doing what. Other members here also seem to share the sentiment as well. (Ofc others share the sentiment too of not seeing much during the action 😅)

In my other screening, the movie as a whole was frustratingly dark. The 3rd act became really underwhelming because of that. 

Btw Im glad you decided to check KOTM out for yourself!!! Also the fact that your kid enjoyed it! 

I didn't think about it at the time, but you've got an excellent point. I think a large part of my poor experience with KotM was the theater. I didn't see it in IMAX or any kind of PLF. I went to a 30 screen megaplex and saw it in one of their midsize theaters with sub-optimal sound and what was probably an older projector in need of a new bulb. I'll bet the movie looks much better in IMAX or with a high end projector like a Christie.

I'm an avid gamer and I've had similar frustrating experience with games I felt were overly dark to the point that it negatively impacted my ability to play, and the real problem was my monitor. I'm betting this is a similar situation. With a better display the trouble I had seeing things in dark games completely went away. It is all about contrast. Scenes can be dark and you can still see everything if whatever is rendering the picture has sufficient contrast.

Unfortunately, with two big openers coming the weekend after KotM's release all of the PLFs in my area were lost. This could also be a contributing factor in the bigger second weekend drop if it was a widespread thing.

I am glad I went to see the movie, though, and I truly enjoyed the fact that my 3 year old loved it. There were a couple of people in the same showing that gave him a big thumbs up afterwards, and one guy remarked that it was a lot of movie for a kid his age to take in. He just sat on my lap and took it all in.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:25 AM, lorddemaxus said:

Sorry if this sounds like gatekeeping but anyone who says that the Rolan Emmerich film is better than this should not call themselves a Godzilla fan.

I would go father and say that the 98 movie with the Big Iguana was not even a real Godzilla movie.

• Like 2

Godzilla seems to be something that Westerners will watch on TV, but are slow to buy a ticket to see.

If The Big G versus The Eight Wonder Of The World does not really, really, perform well the Monsterverse is pretty much dead.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:04 PM, kaijukurt said:

One of my complaints is that the quality of movie presentation has gone into the gutter since theaters No longer have full time projectionists. A projectionist did not just sit around, he constanstly adjusted the quality level to ensure a good presentation.

• Astonished 1

39 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Godzilla seems to be something that Westerners will watch on TV, but are slow to buy a ticket to see.

If The Big G versus The Eight Wonder Of The World does not really, really, perform well the Monsterverse is pretty much dead.

I don't agree with that. Now, I do think GvK needs to produce somewhere between KSI and G14, but I don't think the approach needs to be DOA if it doesn't. I think Legendary and Warner would need to evaluate. They have a series that, at its worst, is good for $350 WW, $100 Dom. Just film to those numbers. Bring down the cost. I believe these movies can be made for $100-$125. The average Godzilla fan tolerates the Toho effects. They can make these appear much better visually than those entries, for a lot less than $170-$200. I'd still go. Most G fanboys would still go. I believe we've seen the numbers when you rely on the hardcore fan base. They would still show up.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Sorry for my apostasy but 

Tatopoulos Godzilla look was better and sexier.

Good Bye All.

Edited by The Futurist