CJohn

Godzilla: King of the Monsters | May 31 2019 | NO SPOILERS

1 hour ago, Heat Vision said:

600 million would be a terrible number for this. Especially with a budget that will most likely be around 200 million.

600M is very much fine with a 200M budget. Asking for more than that is setting oneself up for disappointment.

Im a giant Kaiju Eiga Fan, but im also realistic.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AgentofMONARCH said:

Short legs based on what? Again where is the evidence?

See below, just history really. And how quickly the last Godzilla faded. 

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

The monster movie genre tend to be frontloaded and you add sequels aspect to it.

Outside the Jurassic park that achieve to bring a big mass of family audience:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=creaturefeature.htm

2014 Godzilla (2014) 2.153445  
2017 Kong: Skull Island 2.753814  
2005 King Kong 4.350277 *Wednesday openning
1998 Godzilla 3.094708  
2008 Cloverfield 1.998302  
2004 Alien Vs. Predator 2.096631  
2013 Pacific Rim 2.730375  

For the genre a 2.75 multi would be on the really good side.

600 million would be a terrible number for this. Especially with a budget that will most likely be around 200 million.

No it wouldn’t, lol. 

Lol I had to come back to this, too funny:

This is the sequel to Godzilla, a film that made $520m on a $160m budget.

Why would $600m be terrible for the sequel? 

Then Why do you think they're making a sequel? 

:wintf:

• Thanks 1

@Krissykins Godzilla faded in big part because it was sold as Walter White vs Godzilla and then turned out that ATJ was the lead and Walter died like a chump early on. Let Them Fight meme aside, it had terrible flat characters, like all Edwards movies. he just doesn't care for human element in anything.

Edited by Valonqar

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

Somewhere there is a Legendary exec whose job is just to say "More smoke" for a Monsterverse teaser poster

DiffVsPU0AAIZHY.jpg:large

So much smoke they forgot to put anything in there.

Edited by cookie
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

The 200 million budget is confirmed?

Budgets are rarely "confirmed", and certainly not one year in advance.

• Like 1

A 200m budget would be really stupid with this being on somewhat shaky ground DOM. Even equaling the first's WW gross wouldn't make it that profitable, and there's very little chance of it equaling the first DOM. I'm sure it's less. 

Edited by MovieMan89

$200M would be almost the same than Skull Island ($194M today) and you have now Kong and Gozilla in the same movie with apparently the most monster fighting sequence in a movie ever.

Going cheap sound like the stupid option to me.

39 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Budgets are rarely "confirmed", and certainly not one year in advance.

I meant to say reported. Was this reported somewhere or people are just assuming it's 200 million?

This seems too high.

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

A 200m budget would be really stupid with this being on somewhat shaky ground DOM. Even equaling the first's WW gross wouldn't make it that profitable, and there's very little chance of it equaling the first DOM. I'm sure it's less. 

This is beyond absurd....Godzilla is a brand name. You seriously expect me to believe that a Godzilla movie released in the summer with state of the art monster battles WONT gross more than $200 million domestically? If I rolled my eyes anymore they’d fall out

21 minutes ago, AgentofMONARCH said:

This is beyond absurd....Godzilla is a brand name. You seriously expect me to believe that a Godzilla movie released in the summer with state of the art monster battles WONT gross more than $200 million domestically? If I rolled my eyes anymore they’d fall out

Listen, i love the Godzilla 14 movie, but it had TERRIBLE WOM, its multi barely crossed a 2.0, thats near BvS-level of toxic WOM. The main reasons for this were a) boring human characters with Bryan Cranston dying way too early and for no reason and b), more importantly: Godzilla having not enough screentime. A big part of the GA clearly disliked the film, theres no discussion really.

So expecting the sequel to stay flat or increase DOM defys BO logic, to put it simple. It doesnt matter thats its releasing in summer, sequels to not-well liked movies generally pay the price for their predecessor. Overseas, its a different picture, since these markets (especially Asia) are more forgiving and generally like these big mayhem movies.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

if it has more action and monsters than the first then I can't see why the budget would be lower than the first film's 160m. 200m makes sense

10 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Something like 75/180/690

I would love that to happen.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Brainbug said:

And then the movie was fantastic as well. Your point?

Acceptable, maybe.