Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

45 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Watched it again last week, the end always makes me cry, its so beautiful. I feel the happiest ive ever felt for a character. 

Some effects are dated yes, but the music is holy fucking tits amazing. A PERFECT all ages adventure film. It truly nailed the tone. Will always be one of my favorite movies.

A (93.5)

• Like 3

Not the best of the series, but still a great film. This film is the most magical of the series for me though. It just makes me fell happy every time I watch it. I do get emotional and tear up at parts during it/. 

The score is really good too. 

Also, I watched it again recently and I still enjoyed it as much as I did when I was younger.

Oh, and this movie is what made me a fan of Harry Potter and caused me to check out the books. 

Because of that reason it is hard for me to rate it objectively.

However, I guess I would give it an.......

A(94)

Edited by Empire
  • Like 1

For all its faults, SS does have plenty of memorable imagery, a stellar adult cast, top-notch technical aspects, and an unforgettable score.

I think I began to zone out when they went for the philosopher's stone. I started to question the logic of things and the movie asked more from the kids than they were capable, acting wise.

Which makes me wonder, they got such an incredible supporting cast, why did they screw up so bad with the younger actors?

I think it's very close to being a great movie, but you should take my opinion with a grain of salt, Harry Potter IS the defining series of my childhood after all.

80/100

Edited by Goffe

2 hours ago, Goffe said:

Which makes me wonder, they got such an incredible supporting cast, why did they screw up so bad with the younger actors?

I just rewatched it (I haven't seen it since probably 2002) just to refresh myself and this is my big issue with it too. I think Tom is perfectly capable and Rupert isn't far behind but it took Dan and Emma time to get with the roles. They get more comfortable with Prisoner of Azkaban, I find.

The mix of CGI and practical effects really works. I'm thinking "I know it's CGI magic but it works wonderfully. My suspension of disbelief isn't the end all be all here.". The cuts and editing kind of threw me off too, it felt more like a clipshow than a narrative at points.

I'm excited to see the rest again, and it wasn't a waste of my time. Solid B.

2 hours ago, Morieris said:

I just rewatched it (I haven't seen it since probably 2002) just to refresh myself and this is my big issue with it too. I think Tom is perfectly capable and Rupert isn't far behind but it took Dan and Emma time to get with the roles. They get more comfortable with Prisoner of Azkaban, I find.

The mix of CGI and practical effects really works. I'm thinking "I know it's CGI magic but it works wonderfully. My suspension of disbelief isn't the end all be all here.". The cuts and editing kind of threw me off too, it felt more like a clipshow than a narrative at points.

I'm excited to see the rest again, and it wasn't a waste of my time. Solid B.

I would say they (the kids) already improved considerably in the sequel as I saw half of it last night. And you're 100% right about the effects, the mix of practical with cgi is refreshing in today's landscape.

Edited by Goffe

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

I would say they already improved considerably in the sequel as I saw half of it last night. And you're 100% right about the effects, the mix of practical with cgi is refreshing in today's landscape.

Chamber's effects are a huge leap up compared to this. The ending Basilisk puppet thing is incredible!!! 

• Like 1

It was a fun kid's movie back in the day and it still holds up. As far as slavish adaptations go it gets a lot of things right like picking a great cast or setting up the world it takes place and the rules within it. Even Colombus flat and faithful to a fault take on the material doesn't hurt this as much as COS because the first book was full of introductions and light on plot. It was more Harry Potter goes to school than Harry Potter and the socerer's stone, which helps because the kid cast could not carry this movie at the time. Most of them grew comfortable in their roles and were great in later movies but in this one they were all a little embarassing. They were mugging for the camera in almost every scene which is understandable because it was their first time, but it still hampers the movie in the final act when it' supposed to be the emotional climax. I found most of the mini arcs throughout much more engaging than what happens in the end with the philosopher's stone, but it's a decent and enjoyable movie after all

Also most of the very cartoon-y effects that weren't great even by 2001 standards still hold-up  pretty nicely because they fit the tone of the movie. Except for Quidditch CGI. That scene looked bad then and downright laughable today.

B.

Edited by Joel M