Gopher

The Interview | Limited Release on December 25, 2014

October is pretty muddled. Even though there's a lot of new movies coming out, they all look pretty placid compared to November and December.September is DEFINITELY gonna be a bore. They should try moving movies to September so we don't have to wait until November for the interesting titles.

I think the reason September doesn't see big movies is because studios don't want to release movies when the school year has just started and most of the target demo is busy with other things.The month is so ignored that "Sweet Home Alabama" held the September record for a decade.
  • Like 2

Far-fetched idea I had after hearing about this move:Sony's awards slate is barren. They only have Fury as far as I'm aware. I wonder if they know the movie is really good and could be a screenplay contender. But more likely they saw the nice legs Wolf had and wanted an open market through January.

• Like 2

They won't. Fox has Gone Girl on October 3 and The Book of Life on October 17. They won't release three major releases over three consecutive weeks.

Book of Life is a flop waiting to happen. FOX will probably dump it.

They should move it to September 5th. Because honestly, even though post-Labor Day isn't a very bustling time, the only wide release on that date is a Freestyle Releasing movie.

http://boxofficemojo.com/schedule/?view=&release=&date=2014-09-05&showweeks=4&p=.htm

That is an awful date. I really think the movie would be better out of September. October would be good.

Edited by CJohn

No it won't. The December season usually is filled with a glut of new releases, since they all usually hold well over the holiday.This'll be the same, I expect a gross around $80 million for this.

but still it has terrible release date and likely to have mixed word of mouth

but still it has terrible release date and likely to have mixed word of mouth

The 25th is always a bustling time for movies. 4 movies opened over $20 million on the same weekend back in 2008.

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2008&wknd=52&p=.htm

Plus, we're still 4 months away from release. What kind of word-of-mouth this movie will have is out of the question.

• Like 2

The 25th is always a bustling time for movies. 4 movies opened over $20 million on the same weekend back in 2008.http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2008&wknd=52&p=.htmPlus, we're still 4 months away from release. What kind of word-of-mouth this movie will have is out of the question.

I guess you have a a point

Yeah, Christmas can always accommodate multiple movies at the same time, even if there's always a casualty or two amid the onslaught. It's the holdovers outside of the movies that open the week before Christmas that suffer the most because they have bleed so many theaters.

• Like 2

Not to mention Exodus, Annie, Hobbit 3, NATM3 which will be holdovers over that weekend as well.

Annie is looking more and more like a disappointment.

Hot Tub Time Machine 2 is going to bomb.  Paddington is going to pull very mild numbers.  That leaves a musical (Into the Woods), a comedy (The Interview), an Oscar contending drama (Unbroken), Family film (Night at the Museum 3), and an action fantasy (Hobbit 3), with Exodus being nearly month into its run.

There's room for all of those movies to have some success, people complain about Christmas being to packed every year, but it's packed for a reason.

• Like 1

This movie is targeting males 18+ demographics over the holidays and movies that have focused on this demo have done well in the past. It is a sign of confidence when a studio moves a film from October to Christmas day.

• Like 3

Far-fetched idea I had after hearing about this move:Sony's awards slate is barren. They only have Fury as far as I'm aware. I wonder if they know the movie is really good and could be a screenplay contender.But more likely they saw the nice legs Wolf had and wanted an open market through January.

On the SPC front, they still have Foxcatcher and Whiplash, which won the top prize at Sundance last year. I'm sure they'll push Annie, too. (The extent of success remains to be seen, though, and it probably won't be big.) In a perfect storm, if this turns out to be good, it could probably have an outside chance if it turns out to be really well received.

North Korea won: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-altering-kim-jong-assassination-725092

Sony Altering Kim Jong Un Assassination Film 'The Interview' (Exclusive)

Military buttons disappear and face-melting could be cut as the Japan-owned studio preps the Seth Rogen comedy

Sony Pictures is pulling out all the stops to keep its Seth Rogen-James Franco North Korea-set comedy The Interview from igniting a Sino-Korean tinderbox. 

Sources say the studio is digitally altering thousands of buttons worn by characters in the film — which on Aug. 8 was pushed from October to a prime Dec. 25 release — because they depict the actual hardware worn by the North Korean military to honor the country's leader, Kim Jong Un, 31, and his late father, Kim Jong Il (showcasing military decorations would be considered blasphemous to the nuclear-armed nation). 

The film, about a pair of TV journalists recruited by the CIA to assassinate the North Korean despot, has become a hot potato for the studio, which is owned by Japan's Sony Corp. (the country recently has taken steps to ease tensions with its enemy to the West after decades of icy relations).Sources say the studio is considering cutting a scene in which the face of Kim Jong Un (played by Randall Park) is melted off graphically in slow motion. Although studio sources insist that Sony Japan isn't exerting pressure, the move comes in the wake ofprovocative comments from Pyongyang that the film's concept "shows the desperation of the U.S. government and American society." (Directors Rogen and Evan Goldberg are in fact Canadians.) An unofficial spokesperson for the rogue nation took issue with the satirical depiction of the assassination of a sitting world leader and on July 17 asked President Barack Obama to halt the film's release.