RobinHood26

What Movie are you watching right now?

I am currently enduring The Chernobyl Diaries :(

What amuses me the most at that movie is how, at that lake scene of whatever, the russian guy says 'somesing'

I'm laughing my ass off every time at that word. A romanian trailer reviewer uses that guy as often as possible. Hilarious to say the least.

Just got back from an advanced screening of Saving Mr Banks and figured I should give my two cents now since we're unlikely to get a review thread for a while.

I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it quite a lot. I'll be very surprised if Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks don't get at least nominations for Academy Awards, since they were both very good. Hanks stole every scene he was in and, while I don't think he got a moment quite as good as the scene near the end of Captain Phillips, over all it was a much better performance than in Phillips. Honestly, a couple of times I forgot it was Tom Hanks at all and for an established actor to do that to me is very impressive. Admittedly though, he didn't appear quite as much as I was expecting (or wanted) him to, which was a bit of a shame

Emma Thompson, the main focus of the film, was also very good although I think they played up the 'bitchy' aspects of her character a bit too much in the beginning. I'd talk a lot more about her development through the film and how good it was, but I don't want to get too spoilery at the moment, so I'll just say by the end. you genuinely feel for her.

As for a character who doesn't seem to get too much mention, both in previews and reviews, I think Colin Farrell was brilliant in this, as Pamela's father. Admittedly, a large part of that is probably because I'm already a pretty big Colin Farrell fan, thanks to his work with Martin McDonagh, but-

-the character's downfall and subsequent death felt really really tragic

There's something that kinda bugged me though, which I'm not sure whether it'd count as a huge spoiler but, just in case, I've put it in spoiler boxes to avoid spoilering those who don't wish to be spoiled.

For a movie about Mary Poppins, there was awfully little of her and her supposed real-life inspiration. Yes, the movie is called Saving Mr Banks (a title which ended up being a lot more relevant to the plot than I expected) and I'm completely fine with them concentrating on Pamela's father more, but the inspiration for Mary Poppins only appears in 2/3 scenes and doesn't do much of importance. Which is a shame, because she seemed like she would be a really interesting character.

To sum up, out of the two Oscarbait-y films I've seen recently (this and Philomena), I slightly prefer Philomena, but this is definitely worth a watch too.

B+

just watched Kick Ass 2. Great film

Next films to watch before I get new films for Christmas on my list are:

Frankenweenie

Zero Dark Thirty

Paranormal Activity

The Ring

Kick Ass-  A-. Great entertaining film

The Last Exorcism 2

Alpha And Omega 2- B- Good story but story not finished properly and animation was pretty terrible

Machete- F- I had to turn it off, I couldn't take anymore than 5 minutes without trying to be sick

Grown Ups

Edited by ChristmasFilms

You had had to turn off machete?! Poor show! That movie is epic!

I hate to see how he'd handle Hobo with a Shotgun. Or Braindead.

Speaking of super-gory films, I just watched Tokyo Gore Police. It was certainly..... something. 

Wasn't a massive fan though. Not because of the gore (since Braindead is probably gorier and that's one of my favourite films of all time) but because it was just kinda boring. There was no style to the gore, it was just a boring red mist. Sure there were a few cool moments every now and again but when someone being torn apart by cars begins to bore me, you know you've done something wrong.