Neo

The Fate of the Furious | 4.14.2017

Saw F8 in "Dolby Cinema" today, a format I had not previously experienced, and enjoyed the film quite a bit. IMO, this was the best "furious" film since Fast Five six years ago.

The action was big and brawny and over the top, and the series's secret weapon, the chemistry that has built up among the characters over the years, in some cases 16 years, is still palpable.

For a big mindless action film, nothing will likely top it this year. It will earn its $300+m DOM and $1.3B WW take. 

707/1000

Edited by SteveJaros

I had a lot of fun with this. Better than 7, not as good as 6, maybe a smidgen below 5. There wasn't much "fat" and the action scenes lived up to standard. Charlize was a little annoying, idk why. And I like how you could see the twists coming, but still not kind of. Wasn't the same without Paul, but Scott Eastwood was surprisingly good in the "Brian 2.0" role. This would definitely be the perfect ending, but we know that won't happen.

At least they can 

Spoiler

reboot this in 18 years with baby Jack and Brian.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 1

Just seen it, it was pretty similar to the previous one in terms of story structure and action outside of a few surprises. It was good enough and the main villain played by Chalize Theron was pretty cliche as well but the acting from her was as good as it would get for this type of movie. 7/10

It's a fun ride. The numbers will be decent. Obviously F7 was unique for various reasons, F8 should be compared to F6 and it will match those numbers.

Might overtake Mission: Impossible as the #1 action franchise of the past decades. Those two franchises average nearly identical numbers, both domestic and worldwide. F8 will gain a bit for now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Vin criticizing other people's acting is funny.

This doesn't surprise me.  Diesel is an ego maniac and imo he is not the best part of the series anymore.  Without Statham F8 would have kind of sucked.  

• Like 3

I've just watched this movie. Theater was 80% full and 10 people left during the last 30 minutes, which is quite unusual for this kind of movie. I don't know what happened, but I loved this flick.

I think this is the best FF movie after Fast Five. Miles better than Furious 6 and yes, much better than Furious 7. In my view, people went easy on that movie, taking Walker's death into account. I'm really feeling that this new movie is getting a mixed reception, because critics are seeing it as what should be seen,and not as a tribute to a great character and actor.

The action was great, the violence is quite high for a pg-13 movie, it's definitely dark during some parts ( featuring Dom and Cypher ) and the third act is basically a huge 30 minute long chase. Statham and The Rock had great chemistry, the rest of the cast is fine too. Vin Diesel is just Vin Diesel.

Great movie: 8,5/10.    

• Like 1

I say this after every Fast movie, but I seriously have no idea what they could do for 9. 8 is such a good endpoint. Considering since 4, they've been to:

- New York

- London

- LA

- Abu Dhabi

- Mexico

- Rio

- Literally all of Central America

- Tokyo

- Azerbaijan

So half the world pretty much. And in terms of plotlines: 

- Brian and Mia have "retired"

- Dom has gone rogue

- Hobbs went from enemy to bff

- Letty has died and returned

- Han, Vince, and Giselle are dead

Spoiler

- The Shaw's went from enemies to bfs

- Hobbs is committed to being a full time daddy

- And Dom is a daddy daddy

And in terms of money shots, weve gotten:

- A desert...race? 

- A (vastly superior) ice "race"

- A runaway oil tanker

- A vault through Rio

- A Russian airplane

- A tank(s)

- Cars falling out of airplanes

- Cars flying through skyscrapers

- Cars falling out of parking garages

- A Russian submarine through ice (!)

Like all seriousness, I really have no idea what could be done next. I know there's gonna be 2 responses: 1. go to space or 2. add Liam Neeson or X action star. Okay as much as I want them in space (again, I said it first), that's not happening (yet). And how many times can we just keep adding more villains for the sake of it?

Spoiler

So what? Now in 9, the team + Shaw's have to team up with Cipher to take down Liam Neeson? Come on man, there's no jazz in that.

Whoever gets the keys to F9, theyre gonna have a real task. Will be interesting to see what they come up with in the brainstorming sessions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jandrew said:

I say this after every Fast movie, but I seriously have no idea what they could do for 9. 8 is such a good endpoint. Considering since 4, they've been to:

- New York

- London

- LA

- Abu Dhabi

- Mexico

- Rio

- Literally all of Central America

- Tokyo

- Azerbaijan

So half the world pretty much. And in terms of plotlines: 

- Brian and Mia have "retired"

- Dom has gone rogue

- Hobbs went from enemy to bff

- Letty has died and returned

- Han, Vince, and Giselle are dead

Reveal hidden contents

And in terms of money shots, weve gotten:

- A desert...race? 

- A (vastly superior) ice "race"

- A runaway oil tanker

- A vault through Rio

- A Russian airplane

- A tank(s)

- Cars falling out of airplanes

- Cars flying through skyscrapers

- Cars falling out of parking garages

- A Russian submarine through ice (!)

Like all seriousness, I really have no idea what could be done next. I know there's gonna be 2 responses: 1. go to space or 2. add Liam Neeson or X action star. Okay as much as I want them in space (again, I said it first), that's not happening (yet). And how many times can we just keep adding more villains for the sake of it?

Hide contents

So what? Now in 9, the team + Shaw's have to team up with Cipher to take down Liam Neeson? Come on man, there's no jazz in that.

Whoever gets the keys to F9, theyre gonna have a real task. Will be interesting to see what they come up with in the brainstorming sessions.

Time to figure out what the hell happened to Leon

• Like 3

They got a few continents left to rampage over (gib NZ f&f), but yeah I really have no idea where they can actually go with this.

On a tangentially related note:

Spoiler

The haka scene with the Rock and his daughters soccer team was kind of awkward in my theatre.

Speaking of Dwayne Johnson, it kind of seemed like this was it for him. I wouldn't be too surprised if this is the end for him in the series because I think that dumb feud thing is actually real. I think there was like one scene where they were in the same shot and they looked like they were CGI-d in or something.

Edited by aabattery