kitik

Weekend est pg 22 - 2 Guns 27.4, Wolv 21.7, Smurfs 18.2

Standard OW for Washington.

Wont have a big opener for a while, Summer is almost over guys and girls.

I think We're The Millers might surprise. There hasn't been a comedy in the marketplace since The Heat. Not saying it will open big like that but I think it could get a similar run to Horrible Bosses.

• Like 1

Planes and Elysium are the only 2 films I'm seeing anything for this month.

I think those 2 have the best chance of winning the month.

Not hearing any good things bout Millers....

As for Smurfs-I am still surprised the first one did that well, never knew the Smurfs were more liked or more popular then Yogi Bear.

I never really liked them anyway-loved Alvin more as well as Chip and Dale.

Also parents are probably out of money for the kids at the moment and are spending more for school stuff.

(It cost 11 dollars too get a movie ticket and I wont even get into popcorn/soda. And this is for the matinee! No wonder parents are taking there kids to see films at the dollar theater and on DVD/Blu ray more and more now!)

The thing that makes me happiest about The Smurfs doing terribly is that my club that was laughed at succeeded this time. :D

That is like my club for Happy Feet 2 under 100M. Which was really laughed at when I made it. :lol:

• Like 1

This month I am seeing The Lone Ranger (open here on August 8), Elysium, We're the Millers and La Cage Dorée (french people will know what I am talking about).

Wouldn't surprise me if Planes/Elysium are number one for more then 1 week.

Already got into the convo about the weak schedule and don't feel like going into it again :P

So glad Smurfs didn't turn into another undeserving Alvin and the Chipmunks franchise. Really thought audiences wouldn't care that it was crap like they didn't the first, but happy to be proven wrong. Of course the thriving kids market this summer probably contributed to it also. Epic, Turbo, MU, and DM2 have already grossed 750m+ combined.

As for Smurfs-I am still surprised the first one did that well, never knew the Smurfs were more liked or more popular then Yogi Bear.I never really liked them anyway-loved Alvin more as well as Chip and Dale.

Smurfs became really popular in the US due to the Hanna Barbera but they're more well known and loved OS hence why did over $450m, if Smurfs 2 does less OS it'll still mean another film,

This is a really bad year for Sony.

They'll bounce back, every studio goes through a bad patch, they've had a good few years with their balance of low to mid budget films and tentpoles, this year they don't have a Bond or a Spider-Man to buoy them, I wouldn't be surprised of Cloudy 2 ends up being their biggest films this year.

So glad Smurfs didn't turn into another undeserving Alvin and the Chipmunks franchise. Really thought audiences wouldn't care that it was crap like they didn't the first, but happy to be proven wrong. Of course the thriving kids market this summer probably contributed to it also. Epic, Turbo, MU, and DM2 have already grossed 750m+ combined.

The first Alvin had good WOM with adults (I am not gonna lie, I had a lot of fun with it). It was the second that killed the franchise (boring and totally for kids... like the first Smurfs). The Smurfs had terrible WOM with adults. Adults were a major force in his success. In the end, it is the parents that buy the tickets. Teens also help in the biggest ones (I am looking at DM2).

• Like 2

The first Alvin had good WOM with adults (I am not gonna lie, I had a lot of fun with it). It was the second that killed the franchise (boring and totally for kids... like the first Smurfs). The Smurfs had terrible WOM with adults. Adults were a major force in his success. In the end, it is the parents that buy the tickets. Teens also help in the biggest ones (I am looking at DM2).

The Alvin movies were virtually indiscernible in terms of quality. I couldn't tell you which was better than the other, only that all of them made me ponder the state of children's entertainment.