kitik

Weekend est pg 22 - 2 Guns 27.4, Wolv 21.7, Smurfs 18.2

How is 32 mill over performing?  It's a frikkin Denzel movie.  

Seems better than what it was looking like this morning. Movie could probably be doing better though, but I think Universal pooched the marketing on this one. Didn't look as enticing as Safe House or Flight.

I'm surprised 2 Guns cost $60m, I would have thought $80-85m considering its Denzel with Walhberg unless both took a salary cut in exchange for a higher back end. Denzel has The Equalizer which apparently costs $50m.Smurfs did poorly but OS will save it and we will still get a third film.

it's $61 million after tax credit they got from New Mexico.

This summer is VERY lackluster. I've seen just three summer films and feel like I'm missing out on nothing.

Agreed, I want to go to a movie tonight to do something but there is nothing to see. Either I will see a  crappy movie or be bored. Tough choice. 

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia

Huh? When did Paula Patton and Bill Paxton become draws?

It's not about being draws.  It's about showing that there are other actors that are recognizable in the film.  

Was this summer special in terms of number of movies released ?

I have the impression this summer suffered from a flood of movies week after week and August won't be any different.

This has been a really disappointing summer for film.  The quality has been really average to below average.

• Like 2

Seems better than what it was looking like this morning. Movie could probably be doing better though, but I think Universal pooched the marketing on this one. Didn't look as enticing as Safe House or Flight.

That's because it's not as good as those films.

Agreed, I want to go to a movie tonight to do something but there is nothing to see. Either I will see a  crappy movie or be bored. Tough choice. 

Sharknado.

• Like 1

Marketing still plays a part in a film’s opening weekend regardless.

Whether you trust critics or not (and I don’t), 2 Guns actually has slightly better reviews than Safe House.

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

I just can't get over that Smurfs 2 number. I hope studios learn a thing or two from this Summer. Planes and Percy Jackson 2 are pretty much doomed. Luckily, for those the OS markets are also much more important than the DOM one.

Edited by CJohn

Marketing still plays a part in a film’s opening weekend regardless.

Whether you trust critics or not (and I don’t), 2 Guns actually has slightly better reviews than Safe House.

Based purely off the trailers, 2 GUNS looks more fun and entertaining to me than SAFE HOUSE did.

Well then, I think 32 would be pretty decent if its middling and had lackluster marketing. Even if it does have Denzel.

Edited by Carlos Danger

Based purely off the trailers, 2 GUNS looks more fun and entertaining to me than SAFE HOUSE did.

That’s fine but not everyone has the same opinion as you.

It's nice to see the more modest budgeted film (supposedly) winning the weekend though.

Maybe this will teach Hollywood not to continuously crank out out 100 million + big budgeted films all the time (I doubt it)?

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

This has been a really disappointing summer for film.  The quality has been really average to below average.

Agreed this whole year has been. March big wide release films sucked. Rest of the year looks bland. 

Sharknado.

Not playing near me.