Sims

Boxoffice.com's Top 100 Films of All Time 2013: THE RESULTS (final list in OP)

I disagree, but it is just an example. Saving Private Ryan, Kramer vs. Kramer, Ordinary People, Tootsie, The Sting, and etc. were all very high grossers. That doesn't happen anymore.  Off the top of my head I can tell you that Tootsie made 177 million dollars in 1982 and was the 2nd grosser of the year. Lincoln made only 182, 30 years later. And Lincoln is a once in a decade phenomenon 

you're talking about cookie-cutter movies, but are most of those classics really much less formulaic? i mean, i prefer something like the sting to most blockbusters today because of its execution but i certainly don't think it's any more original than even something like the avengers. it's just a funny caper.

i honestly don't think the popular movies of old were (on average) any more unique or original than those of today. you've got to go underneath box office of all decades to find true gems.

Edited by lisa
  • Like 1

you're talking about cookie-cutter movies, but are most of those classics really much less formulaic? i mean, i prefer something like the sting to most blockbusters today because of its execution but i certainly don't think it's any more original than even something like the avengers. it's just a funny caper.

i honestly don't think the popular movies of old were (on average) any more unique or original than those of today. you've got to go underneath box office of all decades to find true gems.

I don't agree with the box office thing at all. Back then, really truly great movies had a much better chance of succeeding. I mean when was the last time something like Weekend made big bucks in the 21st century? Switch Weekend with a more period appropriate replica and transport it to the 1930s and it would have a much better chance succeeding. 

and yes, I do think that the movies of old were much more original and better. Not only was the execution better but it was about story and it was about passion and real film. 

You mean like in the 30s when the studios cranked out a billion films a year and had journeyman directors move from one to the next, assembly-line style? ;)

You forgot to mention that there weren't any TVs back then and movies often stayed in theaters for many years like GWTW. :lol:

• Like 1

What are real stories to you ric?  Do they all involve death and disease?  Humans dealing with "real issues"?  What's so great about watching reality when films are supposed to transport you to another reality.  I'll take Transformers any day over Amour.  Amour is a great movie but it's not something I'd like to watch again and again.  Transformers on the other hand, takes me away.  It shows me a world that doesn't exist and that thrills me.  Your opinion is yours and that's fine, but it doesn't mean the films you like are any better than ones others like.  

Edited by tiffybaumer
  • Like 4

What are real stories to you ric?  Do they all involve death and disease?  Humans dealing with "real issues"?  What's so great about watching reality when films are supposed to transport you to another reality.  I'll take Transformers any day over Amour.  Amour is a great movie but it's not something I'd like to watch again and again.  Transformers on the other hand, takes me away.  It shows me a world that doesn't exist and that thrills me.  Your opinion is yours and that's fine, but it doesn't mean the films you like are any better than ones others like.  

Real stories are stories that you feel for. Harvey Weinstein said it best, "Some movies you feel." And that is true. Transformers is an absolutely unfeeling movie and to be honest it bores the hell out of me. Amour makes you feel and that's why it is so damn great. And to amalgamate Picasso and Haneke, "Film is 24 lies per second. Film is the lie that makes us realise the truth." That is what truly great art of any form is about. It is something that makes us feel. Something that makes us cheer and cry and shout and react; it is something that draws a visceral reaction in us that makes us understand more about humanity. That is what film is about; not the mindless entertainment that it is today. 

• Like 2

Real stories are stories that you feel for. Harvey Weinstein said it best, "Some movies you feel." And that is true. Transformers is an absolutely unfeeling movie and to be honest it bores the hell out of me. Amour makes you feel and that's why it is so damn great. And to amalgamate Picasso and Haneke, "Film is 24 lies per second. Film is the lie that makes us realise the truth." That is what truly great art of any form is about. It is something that makes us feel. Something that makes us cheer and cry and shout and react; it is something that draws a visceral reaction in us that makes us understand more about humanity. That is what film is about; not the mindless entertainment that it is today. 

I respect your opinion but what moves you might not move others.  That's all.  

Amour is a depressing movie about old people

Transformers is a movie about a guy getting his first car and realizing that Autobots are fighting Decepticons for the All-Spark with explosions and one liners aplenty

Which sounds like something the majority of non-pretensious movie-goers will want to watch?!!! A no-brainer lol

Just because a film is little-seen doesn't mean it's great and just because something's a blockbuster doesn't mean it's not profound

Half? Only for people who haven't seen anything that's made less than a splash at the BO. 

I can think of 50-100 great films that made a splash at the box office and 1 million little seen "arthouse" films that are terrible... you just make yourself sound like the Anton Ego of film

I'm not saying that all art house is excellent because that is blatantly untrue. What I'm saying, if you bothered to read, is that almost all of the blockbusters, especially practically all, if not all, of the post 21st century ones do not hold a candle to the art house films, if you simply have a little patience and do some searching. A truly absolutely perfect big budget film hasn't been made since probably Lawrence.

Film can be whatever it is for you. Whether it's a quiet French drama about an elderly couple or a movie with giant jive talking fighting robots. Personally I may pitch a film about that elderly couple fighting the giant robots

Edited by DAR
  • Like 1

I'm not saying that all art house is excellent because that is blatantly untrue. What I'm saying, if you bothered to read, is that almost all of the blockbusters, especially practically all, if not all, of the post 21st century ones do not hold a candle to the art house films, if you simply have a little patience and do some searching. A truly absolutely perfect big budget film hasn't been made since probably Lawrence.

Gonna throw some recent ones I know you like at you: Gatsby? STID? Skyfall?

I dunno... if what you look for in movies are explosions and robot smashing, most art house films fall pretty short. :P Edited by Telemachos

Gonna throw some recent ones I know you like at you: Gatsby? STID? Skyfall?

Gatsby was really great, but not perfect. STID was great. And Skyfall was getting to that territory, at #66 (and so was LOTR as a whole) but not quite there yet. Skyfall was really elevated by that Tennyson quote, "Though we are now not that strength, which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive to seek to find and not to yield." Particularly for me, because it was my favourite poem in school and it surprised me that I could still quote it verbatim. It also really emphasized the point of the disconnect between the Empire and Modernity paralleled in Bond+M and Mallory. And that passing on from M to M is really like a transition from old to new, kind of like how the UK has finally in a way started to really break away from the Glory Days of the Empire and move forward. We can probably expect the next Bond to different from what it was in Skyfall. From the era of Dinosaurs into the era of Humans.  

• Like 1