Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

4 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Why does Speilberg make that decision two months before production begins, and not during the previous four years of pre-production? Did he just wake up today and decide it's time for a change?

Reminds me a lot of Scott Derrickson's "decision" to "step down" from Doctor Strange 2, after years of prep and a couple months before shooting.

I don't buy Variety's pleasant spin. Something's rotten at Lucasfilm.

Except they clearly stated when Derrickson dropped out that it was due to creatice differences. Considering the amount of times Indy 5 has been delayed it's pretty easy to believe Spielberg's decision to drop out was his own.

I like James Mangold but not really interested in a non-Spielberg Indiana Jones. 

6 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Except they clearly stated when Derrickson dropped out that it was due to creatice differences. Considering the amount of times Indy 5 has been delayed it's pretty easy to believe Spielberg's decision to drop out was his own.

Yep, creative differences. Disney/Lucasfilm would never dare publicly state they had creative differences with one of the most renowned filmmakers of all time. That would be a PR nightmare. Scott Derrickson is a nobody. Lord and Miller are relative nobodies. No one cares about Colin Trevorrow. But Steven Spielberg? Disney wouldn't dare imply they had disagreements with Steven.

So this article comes out, that not only is Steven out, but it's his own decision, and there's a new director lined up! Nothing to see here folks, everything is fine and dandy. Smells like spin.

Steven, despite putting years into prep and with filming months away, leaves because he wants to give the baton to a new generation of filmmakers? On a franchise he co-created almost half a century ago? Does that sound like Steven Spielberg to anyone? Doesn't to me. Sounds like spin.

I can't be the only person who finds this just a tad suspicious...

I don't know how many movies they planned to make but passing the torch would happen both on and off the screen eventually due to actor and director's age. so whether old director makes this one and new one makes the next or new one makes this one and the next isn't much of a difference. it isn't like the series had a set number and Spielberg didn't get to finish them. change of director was inevitable so better as his decision. 

50 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

What if this was Bob Chapek's decision?

I don't think Chapek would want to pick a fight with probably the most respected..and still powerful..figures in film as his first action as Disney CEO.

And Spileberg is still producing the film .He will have a lot of input into it. I think he just decided he did not want to direct it. He is 75 years old, and you begin to slow down at that point.

Look, the guy has a personal wealth of 3.6 Billion dollars,so he had reached the point where he does not need to do any project he does not want to do.

What will happen with "Blackhawks" is interesting, since both Spielberg and Mangold have been tied to that project.

I am all up for a World War 2 comic book franchise with lots of WW2 airplane action....

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Considering Spielberg Lucas was on auto pilot for Indy 4, Getting some fresh blood and someone like Mangold is indeed probably an upgrade 

Spielberg has made it clear he had major disagreements with Lucas on Indy 4. And there is a lot of proof that lot of what was wrong with Indy 4 originated with Lucas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

If they're shooting by the summer like Ford says I don't see why not. I guess we'll know if casting announcements start soon.

I think it's more likely they'll push filming and let Mangold do his Dylan film first tbh

1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Yep, creative differences. Disney/Lucasfilm would never dare publicly state they had creative differences with one of the most renowned filmmakers of all time. That would be a PR nightmare. Scott Derrickson is a nobody. Lord and Miller are relative nobodies. No one cares about Colin Trevorrow. But Steven Spielberg? Disney wouldn't dare imply they had disagreements with Steven.

So this article comes out, that not only is Steven out, but it's his own decision, and there's a new director lined up! Nothing to see here folks, everything is fine and dandy. Smells like spin.

Steven, despite putting years into prep and with filming months away, leaves because he wants to give the baton to a new generation of filmmakers? On a franchise he co-created almost half a century ago? Does that sound like Steven Spielberg to anyone? Doesn't to me. Sounds like spin.

I can't be the only person who finds this just a tad suspicious...

What part of "Spielberg is still producing the film" didn't you see?

You are falling into the trap most conspiracy theorist fall into:Ignoring evidence that throws their whole theory into question.

If the disagreements were that great, Speilberge would be out entirely. As a producer he is hands on, and would not accept a "honorary" producer credit.

And I think real creative differences would, frankly, have leaked out by now.

Edited by dudalb
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

What part of "Spielberg is still producing the film" didn't you see?

You are falling into the trap most conspiracy theorist fall into:Ignoring evidence that throws their whole theory into question.

If the disagreements were that great, Speilberge would be out entirely. As a producer he is hands on, and would not accept a "honorary" producer credit.

And I think real creative differences would, frankly, have leaked out by now.

Nothing wrong with skepticism, especially when accounting for how clean this story is (he’s out 2 months before shooting after four years of prep and there’s already a director lined up) and keeping in mind how many other films LucasFilm has mismanaged recently.

If you all want to take this story at face value, by all means. But don’t be surprised if the other shoe drops.

1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Yep, creative differences. Disney/Lucasfilm would never dare publicly state they had creative differences with one of the most renowned filmmakers of all time.

Or simply money difference, Spielberg can ask for a lot of first dollar gross he usually do (apparently that why he had an hard time getting Lincoln made, it was because of how much he ask).

Specially if release become Disney+ exclusive and how does that work with previous contract made before that reality.

Edited by Barnack

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Or simply money difference, Spielberg can ask for a lot of first dollar gross he usually do (apparently that why he had an hard time getting Lincoln made, it was because of how much he ask).

Of course with a net worth of 3.6 Billion, it's not like he really needs the money.