Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Disney’s really gonna try and do with this franchise what they’ve been doing with Star Wars, aren’t they? 

How exactly would delivering the first Indiana Jones game in over a decade constitute "oversaturating" the franchise?

This is something that should have happened a very long time ago. It was negligent on their side not to deliver any Indiana Jones games, and that was true even before Lucas sold his companies to Disney.

8 minutes ago, George Parr said:

How exactly would delivering the first Indiana Jones game in over a decade constitute "oversaturating" the franchise?

This is something that should have happened a very long time ago. It was negligent on their side not to deliver any Indiana Jones games, and that was true even before Lucas sold his companies to Disney.

I wasn’t specifically referring to the game. I was talking more about the recent rumor that Chris Pratt is supposed to play a younger Indiana Jones. That specific rumor might not be accurate, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Disney casts a younger actor for the role in the near future, just so they can ensure that this franchise can continue without Ford. 

6 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I wasn’t specifically referring to the game. I was talking more about the recent rumor that Chris Pratt is supposed to play a younger Indiana Jones. That specific rumor might not be accurate, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Disney casts a younger actor for the role in the near future, just so they can ensure that this franchise can continue without Ford. 

Pratt taking over this franchise was a more popular rumor around 2015 and (pre-The Magnificent Seven/Passengers) 2016 when everyone was obsessed with him and thought he was gonna be our next big certified superstar during the last vestiges of the movie star era. I don't know who it would be now, probably no one, especially after audiences rejected a young Han Solo.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Not content with killing off one franchise character Ford is known for, Phoebe Waller-Bridge sets her sights on a second one. Soon, she will also kill off the President from Air Force One.

I take it that Richard Kimble will be next?

4 hours ago, VenomXXR said:

If Crystal Skull was the Phantom Menace of the Indy franchise (poorly received follow up to 3 great initial films from decades prior) then this has to be the Force Awakens. 

I don't think that comparison really works. Star Wars returned to its old hero characters, while Indy 4 never left the hero behind in the first place. I don't think the interest will come remotely close to that of Indy 4.

I'd also say that some past movies get a bit of an reputation that they didn't have back in the days. ESB and ROTJ didn't have particularly good reviews when they came out, that only changed later on. Same with Temple of Doom, which had a very mixed reaction when it came out. Now it generally sits below the 1st and 3rd one, but is still considered a classic, while the 4th one gets torn down even though its immediate reaction wasn't all that different from the one ToD got. In some cases movies get lumped together even though they didn't necessarily get a similar reaction. Temple of Doom kind of gets a boost from the love for the original three movies, even though it is quite a bit behind the other two when you look at most means of measuring popularity. On the other hand, Revenge of the Sith often gets lumped in with the other two prequels by those who don't like those movies, even though it is vastly more popular than the other two and never was even remotely close to having a mixed reaction.

4 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lots of people expect this to be a better film or something just because Waller-Bridge is in it but the other Lucasfilm she starred in was like the worst thing to come from them since Disney bought the company.

Who exactly are the people who expect that, and why would you somehow blame Solo - which isn't bad at all - on someone who only played a side-character in it?

Solo had a bad box office run, but it never was unpopular among those who actually watched it. Mostly because it is actually a pretty entertaining movie.

• Like 1