Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

This movie's cast is skewing old. Not a bad thing cause older audience is underserved and they give movies that click with them good legs. So I's day it could work as a counter-programming to blockbusters targeting younger audience that will be released in that period (end of June, early and mid July).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Bombay said:

So I was kind of on the "Harrison Ford's got the energy. He can still pull off the part!" But now...I dunno fam.

It struck me that he was quite nervous, he never really seems at ease when he’s on stage or in interviews. While it wasn’t a particularly high energy role, he wasn’t anywhere near as low energy as he was at the Oscars in last years The Call of the Wild. I think he’ll be fine when cameras roll on Indy 5.

5 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

It struck me that he was quite nervous, he never really seems at ease when he’s on stage or in interviews. While it wasn’t a particularly high energy role, he wasn’t anywhere near as low energy as he was at the Oscars in last years The Call of the Wild. I think he’ll be fine when cameras roll on Indy 5.

I’m not sure about that. Ford has made it pretty clear that he really doesn’t care for his franchise roles. He never seemed very passionate about roles like Han Solo and Indiana Jones. 

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m not sure about that. Ford has made it pretty clear that he really doesn’t care for his franchise roles. He never seemed very passionate about roles like Han Solo and Indiana Jones. 

True, but I wouldn’t say he’s ever really phoned any of those type of roles in. He might not give a shit about who shot first between Greedo and Han or that kind of fanboy stuff, but he was still good in The Force Awakens, likewise for Blade Runner 2049. I mean he was even still decent in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull to be fair to him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Really?

I would have said the exact opposite.

He kind of lost a bit of interest in Han Solo, though he was just fine getting back into that role later on. He wouldn't have been involved in two new movies if he hadn't been interested in it. When it comes to Indiana Jones though, he was always very passionate about that role. He was the one who constantly tried to get Spielberg and Lucas to get the 4th one going. If anything I'd say it has always been his favourite role.

• Like 2

On 4/25/2021 at 9:01 PM, WittyUsername said:

Ford admits his first reaction after A New Hope made him a star was that now he could get the meaty dramatic roles he always wanted to play.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dudalb said:

After seeing him at the Oscars, Ford is too old, period.

Time to admit reality, folks: if the franchise is to continue, they should reboot with a younger Indy. Otherwise just let it die a peaceful death.

I don't see how one appearance at an award show - something Harrison Ford never was that fond of - somehow is supposed to tell us anything about how he would look in a movie.

I once saw Billy Dee Williams, that was back in 2004 or so. He looked completely out of it, tired and barely remembering things. 15 years later he was still alive and kicking, and very much capable of acting in tv-shows and movies. One apperance doesn't mean anything.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, George Parr said:

I don't see how one appearance at an award show - something Harrison Ford never was that fond of - somehow is supposed to tell us anything about how he would look in a movie.

I once saw Billy Dee Williams, that was back in 2004 or so. He looked completely out of it, tired and barely remembering things. 15 years later he was still alive and kicking, and very much capable of acting in tv-shows and movies. One apperance doesn't mean anything.

Ford was too old when Indy 4 was out, he's definitely too old now

Just now, Chicago said:

Ford was too old when Indy 4 was out, he's definitely too old now

Ford was just fine when Indy 4 came out. And whether he is too old now depends entirely on what happens in the movie. It makes no sense to judge a role when you don't know what the role contains in this particular instance.  Playing the same character doesn't somehow require doing the exact same things you did when you were younger.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Ford was just fine when Indy 4 came out. And whether he is too old now depends entirely on what happens in the movie. It makes no sense to judge a role when you don't know what the role contains in this particular instance.  Playing the same character doesn't somehow require doing the exact same things you did when you were younger.

Thats true but i didn't know whether they were planning on have him hand over the mantle or not

On 4/26/2021 at 2:46 AM, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Harrison Ford will be fine if they actually plan filming this soon. Interviews and media presence has never been his strong suit. 

Out of his famous characters he's always been the most open to revisiting Indy. 

Exactly. Anyone that has followed Ford's career know that interviews and being extemporaneous is just not his strong suit. 

I'm a sad that this film has been delayed 3-4yrs from when it was initially announced. Still excited and just hoping for another great Indy film!

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is a fun film that became one of those "cool to hate on films" .... fight me. ;) 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, dudalb said:

After seeing him at the Oscars, Ford is too old, period.

Time to admit reality, folks: if the franchise is to continue, they should reboot with a younger Indy. Otherwise just let it die a peaceful death.

If they were to reboot it with a new actor while Harrison Ford is still alive, it’d be the death knell for the entire franchise. Whether he’s old or not, Harrison Ford IS Indy, it just won’t work or be the same without him. I have no interest in seeing someone like Chris Pratt taking over the role, and I suspect a sizeable part of the audience would feel the same. It’d crash and burn like Solo.

The best bet is to let Harrison Ford play the role as long as feels he’s able to, then after that, let it rest, although I know with Disney’s focus on franchise building, that’s not likely to happen and we’re probably just a few years away from a new take on Young Indy.

• Like 1