Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

I can’t see them doing any passing of the torch teasing in this one after how badly that part of KOTCS was received. If this is indeed the last time Harrison Ford returns, then I think they do a full reboot further down the line. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them try to quickly get another one with Harrison Ford in if this one is well received though, I know he’d be 80 by then, but he’s not as frail as a lot of people seem to think he is.

He’ll already be 80 by the time this movie is released. 

3 hours ago, George Parr said:

I don't think the movie was meant as passing the torch at all. If anything, they made it abundantly clear that they wouldn't do that by having Indy snatch his hat out of Mutt's hands at the wedding.

They were definitely banking on Shia taking over the franchise in some form (sequel, spin-off, who knows) since he was clearly being set up by the industry to be the early-20-something actor who was going to conquer Hollywood at the time (which obviously didn't pan out due to a series of self-inflicted wounds but that's another story). Obviously we have very little information about the plot for this but the fact the cast for this one looks to be devoid of fresh-faced 20-somethings indicates they were aware of avoiding heading down that road again.

• Like 3

The young stars of Mike Bay movies are always supposed to be the next big thing. Batfleck, Josh Harthrob, Shia Labuff, Megan the Fox, Rosie Hungtington Whitehouse, etc.

Shia was clearly supposed to lead this and transformers. He was a huge name 07-08. 

Edited by excel1

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

They were definitely banking on Shia taking over the franchise in some form (sequel, spin-off, who knows) since he was clearly being set up by the industry to be the early-20-something actor who was going to conquer Hollywood at the time (which obviously didn't pan out due to a series of self-inflicted wounds but that's another story). Obviously we have very little information about the plot for this but the fact the cast for this one looks to be devoid of fresh-faced 20-somethings indicates they were aware of avoiding heading down that road again.

No, you think they wanted to do that, that is all. There is zero proof that they had any interest in that. Shia was chosen because a) he was a upcoming young star at that point and b) because it was Spielberg who "found" him. In no way does that mean that they ever had any plans to continue with him. This wasn't the Disney era, they didn't do movie after movie because just they could.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

He’ll already be 80 by the time this movie is released. 

My point was more that if they put another one into pre-production as soon as this one comes out, he’d still probably be 80 at the time of filming (81 or 82 at the time of release, but that’s by the by). As I’ve said before, there’s no reason we can’t see an ageing Indy, he’s an archaeologist, not an Olympic athlete with a best by date, I’d take Harrison Ford pushing a zimmer frame before I watched a reboot. The man is still pretty active though, apparently he’s still a keen cyclist so he’s clearly in decent health.

9 hours ago, George Parr said:

No, you think they wanted to do that, that is all. There is zero proof that they had any interest in that. Shia was chosen because a) he was a upcoming young star at that point and b) because it was Spielberg who "found" him. In no way does that mean that they ever had any plans to continue with him. This wasn't the Disney era, they didn't do movie after movie because just they could.

This disrespect towards Even Stevens is blasphemy.

Even Stevens': Where Are They Now? - MTV

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I watched The Last Crusade last night. Still such a great movie.  I think that I can't imagine anyone taking over for Harrison and then watching River is just...so much lost potential.  Anyway, I'm excited for this movie and I hope they give Indy a proper send-off.

• Like 4

If the series continues past Five,it will with a new Indy Jones;no way this is not Ford'a last hurrah.

I don;t think it is a coincidence that after being stuck in development hell for so long, this finally got started after "THe Irishman" gave a huge breakthrough in CGI makeup, allowing an actor to "Youthen" without  going into Uncanny Valley, which had been the problem with previous attemts to use CGI to youthen an actor,

11 hours ago, sabrecmc said:

I watched The Last Crusade last night. Still such a great movie.  

1989 was an incredibly epic summer for movies. The Last Crusade, Batman, and Lethal Weapon 2 all in a row? Ohmahgah

• Like 1