Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

Bandaras joining this is interesting.  The first thing that came into my head was indeed ZORRO.  Even though this movie will take place 100 years later from Bandaras' Zorro films, I'm wondering if his role might indeed be a riff on Zorro -- both he and Indiana Jones are "pulp heroes" in a sense.  Or perhaps Bandaras is playing "a 1940s/50s Spanish/Hollywood actor who played Zorro" a la Timothy Dalton's riff on Errol Flynn in THE ROCKETEER ...which would be great fun, and kind of beat "Babylon" to the punch -- as long as this film releases on time next summer! 

Many people might not remember that Spielberg himself was originally interested in reviving Zorro in the 1990s, and was the one who really got "The Mask of Zorro" instigated with Amblin and Tri-Star (now Sony Pictures) -- and Sean Connery was originally cast in the Anthony Hopkins part!  While numerous copyright disputes have taken place over the years with some claiming the Zorro character is in public domain, Zorro Productions, inc. seems to have successfully batted away most of these...but they've been tied to Sony in recent decades.  I wonder if somehow Spielberg might have helped slip this in/gotten permission to use the character somewhere...

Edited by Macleod

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

Bandaras joining this is interesting.  The first thing that came into my head was indeed ZORRO.  Even though this movie will take place 100 years later from Bandaras' Zorro films, I'm wondering if his role might indeed be a riff on Zorro -- both he and Indiana Jones are "pulp heroes" in a sense.  Or perhaps Bandaras is playing "a 1940s/50s Spanish/Hollywood actor who played Zorro" a la Timothy Dalton's riff on Errol Flynn in THE ROCKETEER ...which would be great fun, and kind of beat "Babylon" to the punch -- as long as this film releases on time next summer! 

Many people might not remember that Spielberg himself was originally interested in reviving Zorro in the 1990s, and was the one who really got "The Mask of Zorro" instigated with Amblin and Tri-Star (now Sony Pictures) -- and Sean Connery was originally cast in the Anthony Hopkins part!  While numerous copyright disputes have taken place over the years with some claiming the Zorro character is in public domain, Zorro Productions, inc. seems to have successfully batted away most of these...but they've been tied to Sony in recent decades.  I wonder if somehow Spielberg might have helped slip this in/gotten permission to use the character somewhere...

Surely something like that would be far too on the nose, I really like The Mask of Zorro (rewatched it last year, it still holds up), but I’d rather him not have to spend 2 hours riffing on a role he played two decades ago.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Yes.

Spoiler

Mads Mikkelsen is shooting in Siracusa. He's the villain and he built a time machine. They shoot some scenes at the Castello Maniace. The scenes are set in the Ancient Greek. They build there the set of the laboratory of Archimede (Archimede was from Siracusa). Archimede is in the movie. They also shooy the scene of a battle outside the castel, near the beach.

Mikkelsen already shot other scenes at the Orecchio di Dioniso, a very famous cave in Siracusa. They turned the cave into a mine.

What is important. Indiana Jones will travel throught time too. I can't tell you how much eras but certainly in the Ancient Greek. Ford and Banderas will shoot scenes in Segesta and Castellamare del golfo (always in Sicily) and they are set in ancient Greek. 

In 2 days they will shoot in Cefalù at Piazza del duomo. These scenes are set in the 1969.

The last scenes in Sicily are set in Marsala where everything is ready for shooting a scene in cgi with a pirate ship sinking. 

Edited by vale900
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, vale900 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Awesome, interesting stuff, thanks for info.

I can't help but think in addition to starring, Phoebe Waller Bridge will not have a hand in the screenplay even if she does not get screen credit.. "Ratbag" shows she is a damn good writer.

Certainly a change of pace for her. 

Edited by dudalb

On 10/7/2021 at 5:49 AM, Firepower said:

Awesome, interesting stuff, thanks for info.

Castellamre Del Golfo in the real world notorious for being a hot bed of Mafia activity. If it is actually set in Sicily, not just filming there, I suspect The Honored Society will have at least a small roll in the film.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

I can't help but think in addition to starring, Phoebe Waller Bridge will not have a hand in the screenplay even if she does not get screen credit.. "Ratbag" shows she is a damn good writer.

Certainly a change of pace for her. 

Uhh... it's "Fleabag."  😉   And I'm sure they've been open to her creative eye now and then re: gender roles...  they would be idiots not to be.

16 hours ago, Macleod said:

Uhh... it's "Fleabag."  😉   And I'm sure they've been open to her creative eye now and then re: gender roles...  they would be idiots not to be.

Wierd, I loved Fleabag but still occasionally call it Ratbag.

I agree they would be fools not to take advantage of Waller Bridge ability to write comedy and good one liners. if she is good enough for James Bond, she is good enough for Indy Jones.

Someone didn't proofread that article properly:

Even better, the new Indiana Jones movie which was sitting on the same release date as Warner Bros./DC’s Black Adam next year, on July 29, 2022; that sequel starring Chris Pratt now moves to June 30, 2023

“Even better, the new Chris Pratt-starring Indiana Jones sequel, which was sitting on the same release date as Warner Bros/DC’s Black Adamnext year (on July 29, 2022), now moves to June 30, 2023. That’s Independence Day weekend, where Universal already has an untitled Illumination movie.“

the fuck?