Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

Is this not going to be ready for next year?? Why not just put it on Memorial Day weekend, where every other Indiana Jones has released? I guess there's already John Wick 4 on that weekend but isn't MD weekend a good date for tentpoles to coexist?

6 hours ago, Firepower said:

Didn't help Venom 2.

Venom 2 was a Covid delay.

I think this is more of a deliberate schuduling decision.  They needed a tentpole for 2023, and decided this would make a good one;they already had the tentpoles for 2022.

• Like 2

Really hope this never comes out. This can't end well in any timeline. Even with the great cast Crystal Skull was a tough piece to swallow and I have nearly blissfully forgotten it except the few authentic Indy moments serving the soothing nostalgia. And even the wedding at the end which was a satisfying character and story arc after 30 years since the Lost Ark (imagine the new Star Wars having a moment when the band got back together... even a brief reunion scene with Leia, Han and Luke...).

The signs are there and I think the scene where the John Connor as a child was shot in Terminator Dark Fate, is nothing compared to what is coming in Indy 5... May that day never come.

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 2

"The movie can't be good because it can't be" is not a particular sound argument.

What exact reasons could there be to come to such a conclusion?

- Material released so far? Certainly not, because there hasn't been any.

- The director isn't good? Yeah, no, that's definately not it.

- The cast? Looks strong, so no argument there either.

- Harrison Ford being old? He was also old in TFA and TROS, and there weren't any issues at all.

Even if Indy IV had been a desaster - which it wasn't in any way, shape or form - there still is no real argument you could draw from that that Indy V must be bad as well.

There aren't any signs that this movie will end up being bad, much less extremely harmful to the franchise. Which isn't to say that it couldn't end up being mediocre or bad.

39 minutes ago, George Parr said:

"The movie can't be good because it can't be" is not a particular sound argument.

- Harrison Ford being old? He was also old in TFA and TROS, and there weren't any issues at all.

Even if Indy IV had been a desaster - which it wasn't in any way, shape or form - there still is no real argument you could draw from that that Indy V must be bad as well.

There aren't any signs that this movie will end up being bad, much less extremely harmful to the franchise. Which isn't to say that it couldn't end up being mediocre or bad.

Ford is older now than he was when they filmed either of those movies, and in the case of TRoS, he was just playing a cameo that didn’t seem to require any action stunts. It is a little jarring to realize that Harrison Ford is headlining another Indiana Jones movie as he’s pushing 80, and that he’ll be a couple of weeks away from being 81 when it’s released. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Parr said:

I agree with your bullet points and personally I love Harrison Ford and watch all his movies when they come out. Here's some of those signs that I refer to:

1. Restarting or continuing the story arc of the franchise is very difficult. Already Indy 4 was a bad show (and not surprisingly) but had its few moments like the ending I mentioned which was some form of a satisfying ending to the 30 year story and character arc. I.e. there isn't need for more Indy and trying to pivot storywise from the last one is very hard to do without inflating the character or story.

2. Okay, very hard, but not impossible. Then enter last Star Wars and Terminator as examples of restarting/continuing/reviving old franchises after awhile. Awful results that pissed on the source material even with the "old band together": Star Wars twisted Luke's character and Dark Fate killed young John Connor undoing all the previous films and especially the first two to mention just one of the many flaws. After all these and other old franchise revival attempts, I have a very, very low confidence that they can pull-off that very difficult task of pivoting.

3. Enter Kathleen Kennedy who was the main driving force of the failures of new Star Wars, not listening to George Lucas and respecting the source material. Lucas is definitely not involved in this either even though he would want to and Spielberg left/was kicked out too, and not because of "scheduling conflicts".

4. Other than Spielberg leaving and George out, the flick is suddenly moved one year forward. Not because CGI or other post-production reasons but most probably due to behind-the-scenes production troubles and script re-writes. That's never a good sign especially when you're already shooting. Star Wars had similar rushed scripting challenges and results speak for itself. One year forward in a situation like this is a right decision but the reasons for it don't raise confidence for the outcome.

5. All of the above are already more signs than needed but I wouldn't be surprised if the rumours about the script are true, that they travel to the past where young Indy is killed undoing the old Indy movies (vs. young John Connor's death in Terminator...and I guess the old Indy dying too?) and paving that way the road for new Indies with Phoebe as the new Indiana Jones continuing the franchise. These rumours existed already before there were any news stories of shootings in Italy.

It could still turn out to be at least an okay movie but with these signs and the history repeating itself, I'd say chances are very slim for that to happen.

Edited by von Kenni
paragraph spacing
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Ford is older now than he was when they filmed either of those movies, and in the case of TRoS, he was just playing a cameo that didn’t seem to require any action stunts. It is a little jarring to realize that Harrison Ford is headlining another Indiana Jones movie as he’s pushing 80, and that he’ll be a couple of weeks away from being 81 when it’s released. 

Now that you put it that way, yeah... You could make a story that works with that like Sean Connery in the Last Crusade but even he was just 58 while shooting that. Though physically Harrison Ford could pull off similar role. The last thing anyone wants to see is Indiana Jones portrayed as an old fragile man like the new Picard ("sheer fucking hubris!" ---Khan!!!!!). We can argue if Indy riding the sunset in the Last Crusade was too premature but what of an ending it would have been for the franchise! (...and was!!!)

But the thirst of money, milking everything to the last drop. Not taking the risks to create new entities like they did with the Mummy, Lara Croft, National Treasure... Oh yeah, they f***ed up those too. 

Edited by von Kenni

41 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It could be like the last few movies that John Wayne did;they were scripted so that he did not have to do any of the really big stunts; he just stood by and shot people.

I did not like Cystal Skull ver much, but that was due to some weak script choiches and a McGuffin that just did not fit into the Indyverse.

I admit, Phoebe Waller Bridge being in this has gotten me a bit more interested in this. And I can't help but think she will contribute a few lines as well...

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

It could be like the last few movies that John Wayne did;they were scripted so that he did not have to do any of the really big stunts; he just stood by and shot people.

I did not like Cystal Skull ver much, but that was due to some weak script choiches and a McGuffin that just did not fit into the Indyverse.

I admit, Phoebe Waller Bridge being in this has gotten me a bit more interested in this. And I can't help but think she will contribute a few lines as well...

Was it in Shanghai Knights that Jackie Chan had broken hip or legs and some of the action scenes after that were filmed him just moving waist up?

Totally agree on the Crystall Skull problems. And the flying fridge plus some other over the top crab didn't help either. Even John Hurt on top of the already stellar cast couldn't save it.