Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

40 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

For one, most of the “Middle Eastern” people in the first movie are actually white people in brownface. Then you have the depiction of Indian culture in Temple of Doom, which has been talked about ad nauseum. 

On another note, Indy canonically first got involved with Marion when she was a teenager (15 to be exact), which the first movie actually alludes to. 

To be clear, I’m aware that the Indiana Jones movies are meant to be silly throwbacks to the pulp movies that Steven Spielberg and George Lucas grew up on, which may help explain some of these things. I’m just saying that they don’t fit particularly well with the squeaky clean image that Disney always tries so hard to project. 

If Disney is willing to have the very violent and often adult-themed formerly-Netflix Marvel shows on their streaming channel in the U.S., then I think they'd be OK with one of the most popular trilogies ever made...despite how certain elements age.  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Macleod said:

If Disney is willing to have the very violent and often adult-themed formerly-Netflix Marvel shows on their streaming channel in the U.S., then I think they'd be OK with one of the most popular trilogies ever made...despite how certain elements age.  

They've also added sensitivity warnings on some of their Classics, so I don't think they'd have much trouble doing the same here.

• Like 4

But Paramount will still get paaaaaaaaiiiiiid, according to the 2013 distribution deal that Disney agreed with them...

But yes, studio logos matter for cultural memory...it will be a bit jarring not to see that here...

Edited by Macleod

On 9/9/2022 at 9:05 PM, Macleod said:

To quote another recent Lucasfilm property... "No one's ever really gone..."  

Reveal hidden contents

You are probably right;if they want Toth back they will find a way.

But I am convinced that nobody will be a much fun in the role as Lacey was in the original.

On 9/10/2022 at 10:38 PM, Porthos said:

They've also added sensitivity warnings on some of their Classics, so I don't think they'd have much trouble doing the same here.

And  "Song of the South" remains in limbo. Segments are released, but Disney thinks releasing the entire film would create problems it just does not want to deal with.

On 9/10/2022 at 4:46 PM, SnokesLegs said:

If they’re going to continue with these movies after Harrison Ford is done with them, they should seriously consider a grown up Short Round spin off with him following in Indy’s footsteps as an explorer. Ke Huy Quan is great, and given the reaction that this picture is getting on Twitter, it feels like the fans would be supportive of it.

Nah, recast a younger Indy.

I have always wanted to see what exactly Indy did in World War 2. He managed to emerge a full bird colonel

19 hours ago, dudalb said:

Nah, recast a younger Indy.

I have always wanted to see what exactly Indy did in World War 2. He managed to emerge a full bird colonel

My guess is that it'll be CGI Indy forever as soon as doing so becomes financially feasible and they solve the Uncanny Valley issue (biggest issues to me are the mouth, eyes, and putting a young face in an old body, i.e. Captain Marvel). 

This article gives some good insight on who owns the likeness to these characters and everything else. 

https://aublr.org/2022/04/the-deep-fake-of-dorian-gray-who-owns-the-likeness-of-luke-skywalker/#_ftnref21

Disney (and presumably other studios) are preparing for the Digital CGI future. Actors have been signing their voice and likeness away too. My guess is that's probably a requirement now to be part of a big franchise. Biggest pushback will be from the audience, but with us getting more and more used to deaged characters and characters digitized from dead actors it's just a matter of time.....we are the frog in the boiling pan.

On 11/8/2022 at 1:44 PM, Porthos said:

Beat you by seconds! :lol: 

(okay, I put it in the D+ thread, but still...)

Wonder what direction this will take.

BTW does anybody know who has the rights to the "Young Indy" series? I guess it might be an issue with Paramount as to why it has not shown up on Disney +

36 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Wonder what direction this will take.

BTW does anybody know who has the rights to the "Young Indy" series? I guess it might be an issue with Paramount as to why it has not shown up on Disney +

Paramount still owns the distribution rights.  Was apparently on Paramount Plus as recently as this past June, but is now no longer on P+.  Maybe something's being worked on behind the scenes and Disney will buy out the rights in due time.

EDIT:::

Fairly self evident, but I'm quite sure that Disney would love to buy out the distribution rights to the Indy movies as well as Young Indy in time for Indy 5 next year.  I'm also quite sure that Paramount sees no particular reason to sell the distribution rights back to Disney without being paid quite handsomely.  And perhaps not even then.  

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

Very reliable.  And unfortunately, I think these new test screenings are coming *after* they already did significant reshoots early this year to tinker with the whole thing due to internal screening responses to the *first* edit.  So...not good.