Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

13 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

My bookie has this at 33/1 as the highest grossing film of 2023 with longer odds than such movies as THE MARVELS, DUNE 2, SHAZAM 2 and THE HUNGER GAMES prequel.

Absolutely absurd price. I put a fiver on it.

To be honest i'm thinking like 800mil WW tops.

I hope i'm wrong on that but you have to ask how many poeple want to see a 80yo Indy bumbling and mumbling through a movie, or how many will actually care.

• Astonished 1

On 1/8/2023 at 8:03 PM, Saul Goodman said:

$700M-$800M Worldwide still looks possible with obviously a higher domestic gross. Best case scenario it plays like Maverick.

Depends on how good it is. If it's another Crystal Skull, it will underperform.

From the comment shere, Indy 4 does seem to have hurt the brand.

https://deadline.com/2023/02/2023-super-bowl-movie-trailers-the-flash-fast-x-transformers-ant-man-expected-1235247160/

Disney is always part of the pigskin show and expect no less this year as it’s poised to tout spots for Marvel Studios’ Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (February 17), Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (May 5), The Little Mermaid (May 26), Pixar’s Elemental (June 16) and possibly Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30) and Marvel Studios’ The Marvels (July 28). No spots for Disney+’s Secret Invasion are expected.

• Like 1

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolinereid/2023/02/08/disneys-300-million-bet-to-tempt-back-cinemagoers/?sh=7eb427bb6e7a

Ahead of its first quarter earnings release today, Disney has revealed that it has shelled out $294.7 million (£244.1 million) on making the latest instalment in the Indiana Jones series in a bid to tempt movie fans back to cinemas this year.

The film has also received £46.2 million (roughly $56 million) in tax credits from the British government, so it's possible this figure is the 'gross' budget before accounting for the tax breaks (if so, the net budget would be around $238 million). 

Still, it feels like a bit much. 

Edited by 35MM-18
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolinereid/2023/02/08/disneys-300-million-bet-to-tempt-back-cinemagoers/?sh=7eb427bb6e7a

The film has also received £46.2 million (roughly $56 million) in tax credits from the British government, so it's possible this figure is the 'gross' budget before accounting for the tax breaks (if so, the net budget would be around $238 million). 

Still, it feels like a bit much. 

(Really good) De-aging ain't cheap.

(don't know just how much of the budget isn't going to that but it is an extra cost)

• Like 2

Absurd budget for this. I just think they are way overestimating the hook here. Indy is not the culturally relevant staple among every new gen like SW is, and 4 already pretty much played the nostalgia card hook so long ago and wasn’t that well liked. This could actually be a box office bomb w that budget  and not be profitable wo great reviews. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Absurd budget for this. I just think they are way overestimating the hook here. Indy is not the culturally relevant staple among every new gen like SW is, and 4 already pretty much played the nostalgia card hook so long ago and wasn’t that well liked. This could actually be a box office bomb w that budget  and not be profitable wo great reviews. 

Indy is easily the 2nd most enduring 70s/80s series behind SW. The only other one that comes close to those is BACK TO THE FUTURE and Hollywood ain't getting their grubby mitts on that until after Zemeckis dies.

Adjusted for inflation the budget for this is identical to CRYSTAL SKULL.

• Like 1