Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

23 minutes ago, John Marston said:

this will still open to over 100m. In addition to Indiana Jones having strong brand recognition the movie will appeal heavily to the AARP crowd who will feel represented with an 80 year old hero

"The AARP crowd" weren't the core Indy fanbase, 80s/90s kids are. For us seeing him like this makes US feel like the AARP crowd.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

Temple is the most overtly pulp of the three and I love how different it is to 1 and 3. All 3 Indy films are 10/10 masterpieces for me though. 

The opening of Temple is excellent. I think it's my favorite of the 3 openers (although all of the classic 3 have excellent openers).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MightyDargon said:

The opening of Temple is excellent. I think it's my favorite of the 3 openers (although all of the classic 3 have excellent openers).

One thing I absolutely love about the opening is the cheekiness and cheer bravado of having Willy Scott standing in front of the movie title:

0db19e99f7dd23e0f70d405e6076e041.jpg

It just works

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Wtf? Been cool to like Temple of Doom for a long time not just now. It has the sense of bonkers fun that we see in Gore's Pirates sequels. Pure pulp spectacle. Pure blockbuster filmmaking. It's a great amusement park ride of a movie.

Temple of Doom is packed with all the silliness, but lacks the pulp fun of Jones solving cool puzzles and kicking Nazi ass. It's the dumb middle child.

16 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

Temple of Doom is packed with all the silliness, but lacks the pulp fun of Jones solving cool puzzles and kicking Nazi ass. It's the dumb middle child.

Yeah. I was good on the Nazi stuff after the first one. 3rd one just feels like a less interesting retread of the 1st in many ways. 2nd one absolutely has it's warts but it's super fun and super fresh. Feels like a serial adventure and I love that it's set before Raiders too. I'm a big Gunga Din fan and love how much of the spirit of that movie is in Temple of Doom too. I'd rank them Raiders......... Temple of Doom........................ Last Crusade... Crystall Skull.

• Like 1

Temple is def better than last crusade. last crusade is the "return to the safe formula after the divisive reaction to the last one" play we see in so many franchises today. though it's still very good. the addition of connery keeps it fresh enough.

• Like 5
  • ...wtf 1

18 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Temple is def better than last crusade. last crusade is the "return to the safe formula after the divisive reaction to the last one" play we see in so many franchises today. though it's still very good. the addition of connery keeps it fresh enough.

This.

7 hours ago, scytheavatar said:

Temple of Doom sucked and it is arguable if Crystal Skull was a worse movie. You know that's true. 

I've  never r understood the love for TOD...lo ve the opening...the rest is exceedling Boring....the fact this movie helped invent the pg 13  rating for a magic trick involving  a heart is also bizarre when u had faces melting and exploding in the original...

Last Crusade is a bit guilty of retreading some of what really worked in Raiders, but the dialogue is so good, the globetrotting feeling so strong and the fact that the artifact is deeply linked with Indiana's character journey in this, make it a really wonderful film.

It might be safer that TOD. But it is so well made, it flows so well, I really can't criticize it much

• Like 1

Crusade is definitely better than Temple of Doom for me, mainly because of better characters, more emotional and consistent story. Ke Hey Quan and Kate Capeshow's characters were a bit annoying (not actors' fault), even though they grew on me with age, and it feels random at times. But I appreciate how oddly dark and nasty it is for a family flick, and opening sequence is amazing, so I still really like it.

Edited by Firepower

21 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

My personal ranking puts Crusade last of the 4 

I respect this... The young Indy stuff in Crusade is far and away the worst anything in any Indy film. Like... Just awful straight to The WB or USA on cable level crap. I do like the zeppelin sequence a lot in it though. 

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1