Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

5 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Crystal Skull is actually really good until Marion shows up. That’s the turning point and it’s all downhill from there. Nearly all the moments that blow involve her and Tarzan. 

I actually feel the same with The Force Awakens when Han shows up. Goes to show that revisiting these beloved characters years down the road seldom is a good idea. The concept of it might be fun and works somewhat in a sort of post credits tease, but when it actually has to be part of the narrative of a movie, it invariably falls short

• Like 6
  • ...wtf 1

39 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

Ranking Crusade as the last of the 4? What has this thread turned into? You're a bunch of Indy turncoats!

I still like it. I just don't have a nostalgia for these movies and I enjoyed KOTCS more.

Raiders, Temple, Skull, Crusade

I think my brother has it Crusade, Raiders, Temple, Skull

• Like 1

Crusade has a more old school vibe than even Raiders. People nowadays accuse movies for having a formula, but this used the Raiders formula/template while adding Sean Connery into the mix. His true movie star power made it even more fun.

1. Raiders
2. Crusade
3, KoTCS

4. Temple

• Like 2

On 5/24/2023 at 7:58 PM, ChipDerby said:

I still like it. I just don't have a nostalgia for these movies and I enjoyed KOTCS more.

Raiders, Temple, Skull, Crusade

I think my brother has it Crusade, Raiders, Temple, Skull

Your brother is sane and should disinherit you.

45 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Really curious how this does, I could see a flop happening.

We know they had to do massive reshoots. Add in poor critical reception and the clunky disaster that was Crystal Skull...

A 35-40 opening weekend and 115 total domestic is possible. This will be a Solo/Strange World level bomb. Nine-figure type losses.

Even Indy lovers weren't asking for this movie and, it bears repeating, the Indy audience is the one Disney has greatly alienated in recent years.

13 minutes ago, G Doss said:

A 35-40 opening weekend and 115 total domestic is possible. This will be a Solo/Strange World level bomb. Nine-figure type losses.

I don’t know why I’m responding to this obvious bait, but no, that isn’t possible at all.

Edited by SnokesLegs

9 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I don’t know why I’m responding to this obvious bait, but no, that isn’t possible at all.

Why? 

Lightyear was in a much better position as far as cultural relevance last year and made 118 million. 

No one wants to see Indy given the Han Solo treatment. And that is exactly what this movie does.

From the BBC:

"But it does all this in an even gloomier fashion than The Force Awakens did. I'm not sure how many fans want to see Indiana Jones as a broken, helpless old man who cowers in the corner while his patronising goddaughter takes the lead, but that's what we're given, and it's as bleak as it sounds."

The movie should have taken place in the 90s and feature nothing but de-aged to Fugitive era - looks Harrison Ford sitting alone in his home trying to get a dial-up modem to work, whilst recording the sounds it makes and sending them to his assistant for deciphering.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, G Doss said:

Why? 

Lightyear was in a much better position as far as cultural relevance last year and made 118 million. 

Totally different scenario. Lightyear flopped because it was a weird scenario that nobody asked for, people love the toys in Toy Story, nobody was interested in “the story of the man who inspired Buzz” in a generic sci-fi cartoon.

Whether the early reviews are fully representative of Indy 5 or not, this is still very much an Indiana Jones movie featuring Harrison Ford and being marketed as his swan song to the character. It’ll easily top $35-40 million OW on brand recognition alone.