Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

The one thing missing from Dial of Destiny is the surprising nasty streak of the first three films. Even the over-maligned Crystal Skull displayed a glimpse of this in the sequence where giant fire ants eat a man alive as he screams in pain.

From the inverse review. Obviously it was easy to call that this was gonna happen in 2023 but damn is it disappointing.

though Mangold is no Spielberg, there’s no question that he gets Indiana Jones. Dial of Destiny is a rollicking adventure that brings an earnest goofiness to the franchise, with a third-act twist so off-the-rails you have to applaud it for its ballsiness.

Also inverse. It's really fascinating the amount of people who have said Dial plays it really safe and bland when, for everyone else, the third act is incredibly bonkers.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

63%!!!!

Lets Go Fire GIF by European Space Agency - ESA

oh damn and the average already up to 6.4 now after just reaching 6.3. That's two 5/5s in a row making that happen lol.

64.png

Edited by Lucas
  • Astonished 1

14 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Also inverse. It's really fascinating the amount of people who have said Dial plays it really safe and bland when, for everyone else, the third act is incredibly bonkers.

My personal theory is that Indiana Jones is one of those series that's been around so long that it's led to multiple generations of people with different ideas of what Indy "should be", which tends to happen which franchise fare that's lasted this long.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, screambaby said:

300 million budget. 

For what? Have no idea of the quality of the movie but based on presales it's  something  most people don't  want to go see ...

It's the end of June and so far the only franchises I love that exceeded my  expectations   this  year is scream and rocky/creed ...

It likely cost that much cause Harrison Ford got injured during production (which is also partly the reason The Force Awakens cost a ton, injuries like that will shut down production and raise costs)+it was a on-location COVID shoot so it made an already expensive production even more pricey+it's been in development hell for over a decade which means any prior attempts at a fifth Indy film were added on the cost of this one (same thing happened with Superman Returns which cost nearly $300 million simply cause of the sheer amount of Superman reboots that were attempted prior).

Obviously it's a symptom of a bigger problem in Hollywood rn cause literally every blockbuster is expensive as all hell but there are legit reasons this one cost this much.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

It likely cost that much cause Harrison Ford got injured during production (which is also partly the reason The Force Awakens cost a ton, injuries like that will shut down production and raise costs)+it was a on-location COVID shoot so it made an already expensive production even more pricey+it's been in development hell for over a decade which means any prior attempts at a fifth Indy film were added on the cost of this one (same thing happened with Superman Returns which cost nearly $300 million simply cause of the sheer amount of Superman reboots that were attempted prior).

Obviously it's a symptom of a bigger problem in Hollywood rn cause literally every blockbuster is expensive as all hell but there are legit reasons this one cost this much.

Is the $300 million figure pre- or post-tax breaks/credits/incentives?

14 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

Is the $300 million figure pre- or post-tax breaks/credits/incentives?

Sounds like it's post. The official figure is $295 million after taking into account everything including tax breaks.

I don't mind modest numbers but the idea of Indiana Jones just outright tanking Flash-style is genuinely upsetting. Even with the mixed reviews it definitely doesn't sound like the movie deserves that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't know what Disney/Lucasfilm were thinking with this one, an aging lead,Crystal skull's negative reception, Spielberg dropping out, a packed release period, lucasfilms controversial track record of handling legacy characters and a bloated budget. It all screams arrogance to me. Not looking forward to the warzone that'll be this film's discourse online.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, AfterHours said:

I don't know what Disney/Lucasfilm were thinking with this one, an aging lead,Crystal skull's negative reception, Spielberg dropping out, a packed release period, lucasfilms controversial track record of handling legacy characters and a bloated budget. It all screams arrogance to me. Not looking forward to the warzone that'll be this film's discourse online.

Disney was thinking easy money, fans will eat up anything

• Like 1
  • Heart 1
  • Haha 1

A historical footnote: this is the first time since 2016's The BFG to reunite the ol' producing trio of Spielberg, Kennedy, and Marshall.

This may not happen again (Twisters could have been next, but I doubt KK's involved).

• Like 2

Also of note: other long-talked-about-but-stalled Spielberg-involved sequels from the past include Goonies 2, Gremlins 3, Roger Rabbit 2, Tintin 2, Ready Player Two, and the bizarre script for ET 2. I have no idea if Jaws 5 or BTTF 4 were ever seriously discussed.

Edited by Ken

I was merely 10 years old when the last movie came out, and despite it already being an old property, I remember it being aggressively marketed at my demographic with lots of toys and video games and I think food tie-ins. (I'm no Lucas worshipper, but the man was all about that "capturing the youth" type of marketing).

This film feels like it's aimed exclusively towards older crowds and anyone already into the franchise (the ones that regularly attend the Disney theme park attractions). Doesn't even have that "generational" hype of The Force Awakens or even last year's Avatar.

• Like 3