Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

North America and Latin America look poor. China looks atrocious, and understandably so. The only hope is for a surprise strong performance in Japan and Europe, where Crystal Skull and The Last Crusade did well. I doubt it though, as those markets haven't been doing great for Hollywood lately with a few exceptions.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

LOL with the way everyone's talking I was expecting the worst, but hey at least it hasn't fallen from their $60M forecast (and yes LOL that we're at "hey at least it's still $60M")

With it opening on Wednesday in some territories and 4th of July the following tuesday I can see the studio PR milking a $100-whatever-million global 7-day extended "weekend" for all its worth to save face.

54 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

no chance of a surprise 80m ow ?

Not at this point. If that does happen it will be an overperformance for the ages (if it does overperform it's more likely to hit $70M frankly).

I've had it at $70M for a while but I'm thinking of lowering it to $60M just to be safe. My gut is telling me this isn't going to be a Flash level disaster, especially since it's got the 5-day and a couple of other factors in it's favour, but it's looking dire for it which really sucks, was really rooting for this one.

It is what it is though. Ya win some, ya lose some.

2 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Not at this point. If that does happen it will be an overperformance for the ages (if it does overperform it's more likely to hit $70M frankly).

I've had it at $70M for a while but I'm thinking of lowering it to $60M just to be safe. My gut is telling me this isn't going to be a Flash level disaster, especially since it's got the 5-day and a couple of other factors in it's favour, but it's looking dire for it which really sucks, was really rooting for this one.

It is what it is though. Ya win some, ya lose some.

Just give me a movie I like and enjoy right now all I can ask for.

39 minutes ago, Maggie said:

MI:DR is tracking very badly

Not really, is tracking like 80-100M 5-Day depending on walkups (which are constantly good with this franchise), which is the industry projection as well 

It didn’t explode that’s for sure but it’s not underperforming as well, the most likely scenario right now is another movie finishing with 220-250M DOM which is what it’s doing since 4

4 hours ago, BluKyberCrystal said:

I think something like Dune winning 2021 or Top Gun last year (I prefer EEAO) would be a better examples of this. Those are movies a lot of folks watched and were critical darlings as well. There are more then a few examples in the history of the Oscars where some of the biggest movies of the year at the box office were winning BP. 

Titanic, Gone with the Wind, Return of the King, Gladiator, Forest Gump, The Sting, both Godfathers, The Sound of Music.

I'm not saying that is what needs to happen every year. And I think last year, was a good example of a film that didn't have the all time box office return, that was clearly a audience favorite. But things use to be different. Big films audiences loved won.

Sure and I also think Mad Max could've and should've won in 2015 for example. But you cannot tell me any of these films are elitist.

The academy clearly doesn't want to outright award blockbusters anymore (and in current climate where award hopefuls have a hard time as it is, I can understand it) but they've certainly gone out of their way to reward films that were close to the audiences without outright awarding blockbusters. This much imho is undeniable.

But also, please understand you're quoting different times on the audiences side as well. Back in the days the biggest films of the year used to be these original films that targeted adults and made huge money doing so. Nowadays these are a rarity.

These films used to be the blockbusters. Nowadays these are franchises. Top Gun, good film don't get me wrong, clearly was not made with awards in mind in any way. Even Top Gun was a nostalgia sequel.

Edited by JustLurking

That classic Lucas marketing helped Crystal Skull crossover to younger audiences. I was a kid when it came out and it was inescapable. Toys, lego, games, merch tie ins. It got me into the older films as a result...I don't think Dial has done the same for the youth of today.

Plus you can't do the "one final adventure/the long awaited return of Indy" thing again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Not really, is tracking like 80-100M 5-Day depending on walkups (which are constantly good with this franchise), which is the industry projection as well 

It didn’t explode that’s for sure but it’s not underperforming as well, the most likely scenario right now is another movie finishing with 220-250M DOM which is what it’s doing since 4

The budget of MI is reportedly $290m. We don’t really know how much Indiana Jones is doing this weekend just yet, but I do find it curious that while some here are playing like Indy is going to bomb harder than The Flash, which I sincerely doubt. The next week doesn’t just benefit MI, it benefits Indiana Jones too. 

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

The budget of MI is reportedly $290m. We don’t really know how much Indiana Jones is doing this weekend just yet, but I do find it curious that while some here are playing like Indy is going to bomb harder than The Flash, which I sincerely doubt. The next week doesn’t just benefit MI, it benefits Indiana Jones too. 

MI rely heavily on OS tho, it can do 250M DOM and still it’s probably gonna get +800M 

I suppose budget for Part 2 will be smaller as well since this one skyrocketed due to COVID 

But for Indy i do think it have room to surprise with walkups but there’s so much walkups can do at this point, and the bigger problem is that OS isn’t looking that hot. 200M DOM would be fine with 500M OS but it’s looking more like 300M OS

• Like 1