RyneOh1040

Wednesday Numbers (TMI DOA w/$3m opening)

Did it turn a profit? I mean it had the budget at somewhere around 35M and the marketing probably was pretty expensive also. According to our very own Boxoffice.com, This is The End's TOTAL budget is 62M which means that it hasn't turned any solid profit as of yet.

Do we normally take marketing into account?

Newsflash : you won one dollar. You make a profit.

This is the end makes a profit but on a smaller scale than your average tentpole that does well or extremely well.

That is the rule of thumb for most US comedies, they do well Dom but OS not so much. Hangover and Ted are the exceptions.

Adam Sandler is nothing outside of the US, same for Will Ferrell & most comic actors.

The last american comic which exported himself well was Jim Carey I believe.

As a movie division Sony this year must be loosing a lot of money and is in the red for sure.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3

Do we normally take marketing into account?

Well, I don't see why we shouldn't. I mean, the marketing budget came from Sony afterwards so it should be counted as expenses for the movie to be promoted, meaning that it should be into the movies budget.

• Like 2

he was that kid in Air Bud

I know that, he’s just basically a Canadian actor who nobody really cares about, so it’s kinda pathetic that they have to resort to using him in order to get females to go see the movie.

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

This is the end makes a profit but on a smaller scale than your average tentpole that does well or extremely well.

That is the rule of thumb for most US comedies, they do well Dom but OS not so much. Hangover and Ted are the exceptions.

Adam Sandler is nothing outside of the US, same for Will Ferrell & most comic actors.

As a movie division Sony this year must be loosing a lot of money and is in the red for sure.

More concrete reasons for Sony to never let go of the Spidey franchise  :lol:

Their remaining line-ups for the year: Cloudy 2, Captain Phillips, Carrie, American Hustle, Monuments Men. Did I miss any? Seems like they could be doing a lot better at the end of the year, the line up looks very promising.

Just checked a bunch of theaters. You're Next and World's End open at 10 tonight, while showings for Blue Jasmine start at 8.

I wouldn't be surprised if all three of them didn't make enough of a dent to even bother reporting tomorrow. Of the three, You're Next is the only one that seems to have any chance of making a midnight number worth reporting.

Did it turn a profit? I mean it had the budget at somewhere around 35M and the marketing probably was pretty expensive also. According to our very own Boxoffice.com, This is The End's TOTAL budget is 62M which means that it hasn't turned any solid profit as of yet.

It probably will be profitable with downstream incomes, but not theatrical.

• Like 1

Adam Sandler is big outside US, but nobody knows Will Ferrell.

Edited by Wally

42M finish with 15 five days ??  :rolleyes:

YA movies trend to flop OS.  :rolleyes:

It only needs to make between 80 to 90 million overseas in order to break even, and its fantasy element could help it.

Also 42 million isn't unrealistic if it does make 15 million over the five-day period (not saying it will, just my prediction).

My random thoughts about things I've read in this thread so far:

Mortal Instruments has apparently sold 4 million copies world wide.  Does that mean the whole series or just the first book?  4 million copies is about what a typical Stephen King book sold during it's run.  Some obviously sold a lot more (The Stand, It) but 4-5 million copies is kind of what he sold.  If you look at a lot of King films, they did not do massive numbers at the box office.  This might be the mistake that MI has made.  There are not many Twilight's/Potters/THG that come along.  Those films had a massive audience and yes they were made for YA but you can't always just slap a film together and expect gargantuan results.  MI may have a decent following but to expect it to break out like the aforementioned, imo, is unrealistic.  

Having said that, if Sony really feels that they have something special on their hands, they can let this one build up an audience and then hope that the film is strong enough to get the sequel to do very well.  Twilight only did 192 mill and then blew up in the sequels.  I realize there is a very very big difference between 192 mill and perhaps 50 mill but if the film reaches enough people and those people buy the books, then the sequels can do well.  Writing this film and the series off after one day is silly.  20 years ago films were allowed to build an audience where as now it's all about the opening weekend.  I wouldn't write this series off just yet.  The budget is low enough that they don't need a ton of money to break even or to come close.  If the producers stand by their word that they are going to let this series build an audience, then they could have a bright future.

TITE and other films not turning a profit:  Most films do not make a profit at the theater and really they don't have to.  The theater these days is like one big trailer for all the other streams that come post theatrical release.  For TITE to make close to 100 mill at the NA box office is a very good.  Now it will hit HV and hope to make another 100 mill.  Then it has Netflix, cable and so many other ancillary revenue streams.  It's already secured almost another 12 mill from TV rights so it's easily in the black.  Saying films don't make money because they don't make EXACTLY double their production and marketing budget is really only looking at a small fragment of their revenue potential.

Lilly Collins and Liam Hemsworth are not draws and will have no career:  They are young and the films they are in are not being sold on their name.  I couldn't tell you two films Collins has been in and I follow film more than 99% of the people out there. People are not basing their decision to see or not see MI because of Collins.  They didn't choose her to star in it because she's a draw, they chose her because she read the best and fit the producer's vision for what the character should look and act like.  Those of you who say that actors careers are dead because of one film not breaking out are being myopic. Shame on you.

Doing the Kevin Zegers promo:  Why is that desperate?  It's being aggressive.  When you spend two years of your life developing something, why would you not pull out all the stops to try and make the film as successful as possible?  This doesn't make them desperate to succeed, it just means that they are trying anything and everything.  The cynicism here is really ugly at times.  I don't mean to sound like an ass but I'll relate this back to me.  I spent 4 years writing Terrified and Defenseless.  I'll do ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING to get people to read it and that includes contacting celebrities on twitter and asking them to read the book.  I've given it to local celebs in my hometown in exchange for them just saying something on twitter about it.  It 's not desperation, it's perseverance.  Nothing embarrassing about that.  That's how winning is done.  If you believe in something you go all in.  

Grown Ups 2:  Yes it's a shitty film.  Yes we all hate it.  But it's an unquestionable success for Sony. It opened with 41 mill and will end with about 135-140 mill.  It will surpass a 3X and for a sequel that is hated, that is pretty good.  Hate it fine.  But don't call it a failure.

Sometimes this place really lays it on thick.  Yes there have been some really stunted grosses this year but it's not all doom and gloom the way some of you make it out to be.

• Like 11

Lilly Collins and Liam Hemsworth are not draws and will have no career:  They are young and the films they are in are not being sold on their name.  I couldn't tell you two films Collins has been in and I follow film more than 99% of the people out there. People are not basing their decision to see or not see MI because of Collins.  They didn't choose her to star in it because she's a draw, they chose her because she read the best and fit the producer's vision for what the character should look and act like.  Those of you who say that actors careers are dead because of one film not breaking out are being myopic. Shame on you.

with fishnets gone, there should be a lot less of that now!

Edited by Robert Muldoon
  • Like 2