Spidey Freak

New Scooby-Doo Animated Movie | May 15 2020 | Zac Efron, Amanda Seyfried, Gina Rodriguez and Will Forte are Mystery Inc.

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

P

Pikachu won’t make 3 times its budget 

still Scooby Doo will have a lower budget and less completion than Pikachu 

I don’t expect a budget higher than $80M thanks to Reel FX having good budget control. 

I also think Scoob should move to September or the week after Black Widow. In the current spot, it gets bodied by Spong3bob which I suspect like Pets 2/KFP2/TLM2 it’ll have a harsh fall, Artemis Fall the next weekend, WW84 the week after and the Pixar movie to kill it. At least after Black Widow, it has an extra week of time and BW should do lesser MCU OW ($75M-$90M).

32 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Cause that worked well for Lego Movie 2 and Ninjago.

Very convenient to leave out Lego Movie and Lego Batman!

I'll also point out that Lego 2 was a solid critical success.

Not sure what you have against self-aware films. Did the Jump Street franchise touch you in a no-no place?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Very convenient to leave out Lego Movie and Lego Batman!

I'll also point out that Lego 2 was a solid critical success.

Not sure what you have against self-aware films. Did the Jump Street franchise touch you in a no-no place?

Self aware humor tends to be wishy-washy overseas. The Lego Movie and The Lego Batman Movie while hits, didn’t exceed OS. And personally for WAG’s track record where overseas tends to flatline and the domestic average is at around $110M, I think a more slapstick approach would worker better OS. 

I love Lord/Miller (22 Jump Street is one of the best comedy sequels, Spider Verse and The Lego Movie are probably in the top 10 for Animation for me and the former is probably 2nd best CBM ever), and will stan anything they put out (MitchellsvsMachines). I also have nothing against self reference. I just think for now, WAG has a lot riding on Scoob, especially with the HBCU and they should try to get as much as possible.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

6 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Self aware humor tends to be wishy-washy overseas. The Lego Movie and The Lego Batman Movie while hits, didn’t exceed OS. And personally for WAG’s track record where overseas tends to flatline, I think a more slapstick approach would worker better OS. 

I love Lord/Miller (22 Jump Street is one of the best comedy sequels, Spider Verse and The Lego Movie are probably in the top 10 for Animation for me and the former is probably 2nd best CBM ever), and will stan anything they put out (MitchellsvsMachines). I also have nothing against self reference.

Well, would you rather be the self-aware Lego Movie and Lego Batman Movie, that earned $211m and $136m internationally, or Ninjago and Lego 2, which earned $63m and $85m internationally?

Your argument doesn't make sense. The less self-aware movies you apparently think are stronger internationally did WORSE than the films you think WB needs to move away from.

12 hours ago, Ross612 said:

This is gonna be the first breakout hit for WAG

tenor.gif

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Well, would you rather be the self-aware Lego Movie and Lego Batman Movie, that earned $211m and $136m internationally, or Ninjago and Lego 2, which earned $63m and $85m internationally?

Your argument doesn't make sense. The less self-aware movies you apparently think are stronger internationally did WORSE than the films you think WB needs to move away from.

We have people from certain OS markets state in the past that some of them didn’t do as well in certain markets as other animation studios films because of the humor and references, ie China and Latin America. Both Storks and Smallfoot which were more gag based, had healthier overseas ratios despite smaller grosses.

Again both of those were two had novelty factors, and if we use the same ratio for Scoob using an $100M DOM gross, you get $182M WW using TLM and $178M WW using Batman. Yes, a lot of the problems of Ninjago and TLM2 was due to franchise fatigue but if Scoob follows these films as most WAG films have skewed more domestic heavy, it could be a problem.

But again this is all hypothetical. I just have a hard time seeing Scoob doing well in general.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

9 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

We have people from certain OS markets state in the past that some of them didn’t do as well in certain markets as other animation studios films because of the humor and references, ie China and Latin America. Both Storks and Smallfoot which were more gag based, had healthier overseas ratios despite smaller grosses.

Again both of those were two had novelty factors, and if we use the same ratio for Scoob using an $100M DOM gross, you get $182M WW using TLM and $178M WW using Batman. Yes, a lot of the problems of Ninjago and TLM2 was due to franchise fatigue but if Scoob follows these films as most WAG films have skewed more domestic heavy, it could be a problem.

But again this is all hypothetical. I just have a hard time seeing Scoob doing well in general.

I think it's almost a given that Scoob skews domestic heavy. That's the nature of the medium and property combination. And that's why I think going the self-aware route gives the film the greatest chance to break out.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I think it's almost a given that Scoob skews domestic heavy. That's the nature of the medium and property combination. And that's why I think going the self-aware route gives the film the greatest chance to break out.

People have been poking fun at the Scooby Doo formula for ages. Even the franchise itself has been poking fun at its own premise for the past 30 or so years. This movie will need to do more than make fun of the usual Scooby Doo tropes to break out. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, John Marston said:

P

Pikachu won’t make 3 times its budget 

I said close to 3 x's it's budget. Right now it's at 2.83. It's not a flop so people need to stop calling it one. It performed under our ridiculous high expectations but it still did a good job.

Edited by Cappoedameron

7 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

The line of Scooby shows and direct to video movies hasn't stopped at all though. There was even a Scooby-Doo/Batman animated crossover movie recently. There was probably more original Scooby stuff in the 2010s than there was in the 90s.

The 90s were a bit of an odd time because the Scooby franchise had become dormant, it was the Cartoon Network reruns that lead to Scooby Doo on Zombie Island being made. I'd say the DTV movies were a factor in WB making the 2002 live action movie and reviving interest in Scooby Doo.

With Scooby turning 50 this year. You can bet WB is going to pushing both the upcoming Guess Who series and also the new movie heavily.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

I said close to 3 x's it's budget. Right now it's at 2.83. It's not a flop so people need to stop calling it one. It performed under our ridiculous high expectations but it still did a good job.

No one call it a flop, people are calling it an underperformer, yes but not a flop.

18 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The 90s were a bit of an odd time because the Scooby franchise had become dormant, it was the Cartoon Network reruns that lead to Scooby Doo on Zombie Island being made. I'd say the DTV movies were a factor in WB making the 2002 live action movie and reviving interest in Scooby Doo.

With Scooby turning 50 this year. You can bet WB is going to pushing both the upcoming Guess Who series and also the new movie heavily.

I’m kind of curious when we’ll get a trailer. Also I wonder if the amount of DTV movies/TV shows will help/hurt it.

7 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I’m kind of curious when we’ll get a trailer. Also I wonder if the amount of DTV movies/TV shows will help/hurt it.

I'm thinking September because that's the same month as the 50th anniversary. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Really not a big fan of the upcoming series. I never liked The New Scooby Doo Movies show. I found it hella boring and this just sounds like an updated version of that show. I prefer the original formula. I was hoping we were going back to the original or even What's New series. 

To go from the amazing Mystery Inc. series to Be Cool and this...really a huge step down.

Edited by Cappoedameron

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

Really not a big fan of the upcoming series. I never liked The New Scooby Doo Movies show. I found it hella boring and this just sounds like an updated version of that show. I prefer the original formula. I was hoping we were going back to the original or even What's New series. 

To go from the amazing Mystery Inc. series to Be Cool and this...really a huge step down.

Warner Bros to their credit likely don't want to do the same show over and over. It's the same with Batman, people complained about Brave and the Bold being a lighter series compared to TAS and The Batman but end up being successful.  

Edited by Jonwo

15 minutes ago, lor15 said:

Poster and new name?

The title change is sort of old news, but I think it's a nice title. Doesn't really roll off the tongue, but it's fitting.

This can definitely be a $150M+ breakout with how weak 2020 is. If families want to go to the movies, then gosh darn it, they're gonna see something, and the strong cast leads me to believe they've got something on their hands.

Warner Bros are kicking off the 50th anniversary celebrations with 50 Days of Scooby from July 26th until September 13th which is the actual date of the airing of Scooby Doo Where are You? so I fully expect the first Scoob trailer will debut during this period if not on 13th September. 

• Like 1