John Marston

Times when you felt poor marketing hindered a film's business

Is it DreamWorks marketing Peabody & Sherman or Fox? DreamWorks films tend to get the shaft in terms of marketing because they rely on their distributors.

DreamWorks Animation hired a new Chief marketing officer recently. Apparently she will oversee the marketing of DreamWorks animation movies and TV shows. So honestly I believe they still play a role when it comes to marketing their movies
  • Like 1

Pacific Rim was probably the most poorly marketed film of 2013, IMO. It's pretty ironic, seeing as how I think Man of Steel had probably the best marketing campaign of the year. So WB effectively has the best marketed and worst marketed. You can add Gravity in there for another great marketing campaign by WB as well.I really don't understand what went wrong there. Why did WB do such a horrible job with PR's advertising while MoS, which opened just a month earlier, had an amazing one? A lot of theories as to why have been brought up here, but I guess we'll never know. Was it the fact that MoS was taking up so much of their resources that PR just sort of got the shaft? I don't know, but with a campaign that focused more on the actual plot here and there (come on, it wasn't so deep that a few commercials couldn't have summed up the story) and show off better mech fights as the money shots (as several have mentioned the ones they used were not the best), and also actually putting the film out there for the GA there- I'm pretty sure it could have done close to $200 million, maybe even more had the GA really clicked with it.Hopefully they push Godzilla and Interstellar more in line with MoS and Gravity than PR.

The most poorly marketed of 2013 ? Fuck no

Interstellar is Paramount in America so no big deal.

They will fuck Godzilla just like they did to Pacific Rim. It is another Legendary partnership, in which Legendary owns the rights to the franchise. Which means that a Godzilla 2 would be Universal. 300 got lucky because WB has the rights.

That's right, I keep forgetting Interstellar will be Paramount's responsbility here. Hopefully they realize Transformers can't possibly last forever, and see that Nolan is an invaluable asset to have on their side and markets it the right way.

• Like 1

The Muppets really? I thought people were saying that marketing campaign was clever?

The Muppets had a poor release date... 8 kids movies within 2.5 months was an idiotic move for Holiday 2011. If Happy Feet 2, Alvin 3, and Jack & Jill had never been made, Muppets would have gotten to $115-130 million while Hugo would have gotten Life of Pi numbers. I'd even say Arthur Christmas would have done better because  it could then move back a wee, $80-100 million wouldn't have been a bad result.

2015 appears to be making the same mistake (Kung Fu Panda 3, Alvin 4, Good Dinosaur, Peanuts, Jungle Book and Hotel Transylvania 2 all over a 3 month period) 

"Frozen was marketed poorly, and the marketing prevented it from being the 600M DOM it deserved to get" - Frozenite

Agreed, those trailers just weren't good enough, it really under performed.  Frozen should have had an 80m 3 day minimum if they marketed it right.

• Like 1

I don't really understand the poor marketing complaints about pacific Rim...the marketing portrayed that film for exactly what it was.

The marketing was very "look at this shit it's awesome". While the film isn't perfect (I still think its amazing), it has (at least IMO) much more substance than that. 

Star Trek: Into Darkness

- not telling who Cumberbatch is playing

- too much Cumberbatch in promos on top of that

- too little Spock in promos

- uninspired marketing (inception poster + dark night poster = into darkness poster)

Posted Image

source http://www.mediastinger.com/star-trek-into-darkness-poster-lights-up-batman/

this is off thread but cannot keep it inside...

bad horrible scheduling : Monsters University

It's 2nd weekend drop of 44%(better than Brave and Wall-e. Same as Cars.) was lower than 3rd(57%), 4th(46%) and 5th(52%) weekends as DM2 crushed it. Worse multiplier for Pixar apart from Cars 2. Could have come early June(June 7th instead of June 21st) like Cars and gotten 4 whole weeks before DM2. Was a 300m+ film after OW, 2nd weekend drop and reception.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1