rukaio101

The Anime Thread- Summer 2015

Iv never been able to get into sports anime, its not my thing. I tried Kuroko and did not like it.

I know what you mean. The only lengthy sports series (manga-wise) I think I've finished was Kuroko and that was mainly because I was following it weekly, which is always easier for me. I've started a few, like Slam Dunk and Prince of Tennis, but I usually end up petering off after 10-20 chapters (even if I liked them (which was the case for Slam Dunk and decisively not for Prince of Tennis)).

On a semi-related note, I recently read the original Dragonball manga. Despite having watched DBZ, I haven't actually read it before. I won't lie though, compared to what I'm used to from DBZ, it starts off really bizarre. The first 20-30 or so chapters are largely a lewd comedy with action/fantasy thrown in. That said, when it buttons down on the martial arts and gets to around the Budokai Tenkaichi/Red Ribbon Army arcs, it gets so good. I can completely see why this series was so influential in manga for so long. 

Been hooked on quite a few anime lately. The second season of Clannad killed me, and I've developed an addiction to Date a Live and Highschool DXD.

I stopped watching at episode 17, not because it was bad but because it was just tooo sad. I should really finish it.

Edited by eXtacy

The new season has begun and there are a ton of shows that have had good starts and a much stronger than last season, a see a lot of potential. There has been no exceptional must see yet however I do recommend Kekkai Sensen.

Edited by eXtacy

At the moment I'm only really following Unlimited Blade Works, Kekkai Sensen and Arslan, although I may add some if any real frontrunners in quality jump out. I'm also considering checking out Owari no Seraph and that Ninja Slayer series if I get the time. I'll also probably dip in and out the new Gintama series as I usually tend to do

At the moment, of the three I'm watching, my ranking after watching two episodes would probably go UBW > Arslan > Kekkai Sensen

I will say, on the subject of exceptional shows, I've heard really good things about Plastic Memories. Admittedly, I've not watched it yet and probably won't since it doesn't seem like my sort of thing, but other people might want to check it out.

At the moment I'm only really following Unlimited Blade Works, Kekkai Sensen and Arslan, although I may add some if any real frontrunners in quality jump out. I'm also considering checking out Owari no Seraph and that Ninja Slayer series if I get the time. I'll also probably dip in and out the new Gintama series as I usually tend to do

At the moment, of the three I'm watching, my ranking after watching two episodes would probably go UBW > Arslan > Kekkai Sensen

I will say, on the subject of exceptional shows, I've heard really good things about Plastic Memories. Admittedly, I've not watched it yet and probably won't since it doesn't seem like my sort of thing, but other people might want to check it out.

Plastic Memories first episode brings in the feels hard! I teared up towards the end.

These are for the newcomers (non sequels). This order will definitely change a lot by the end of the season, all listed below have been good and there is not a huge amount separating them

1. Arslan Senki

2. Kekkai Sensen

3. Dan Machi

4. Plastic Memories

5. Ore Monogatari!!

6. Souma

7. Hibike! Euphonium

8. Owari no Seraph

9. Yamada

So I just got into anime pretty recently (besides DBZ which I watched religiously as a kid like 12-13 years ago) which started with me getting addicted to Attack On TItan on Netflix last fall and of course with no new season in sight I had to get my fix somewhere else so I tried to binge-watch a couple of the more popular series out there and really liked a couple of them but couldn't get into a few of the really highly rated ones like Gurren Lagann and Death Note (both were big misses with me through a couple episodes which I was really surprised with since I've heard nothing but rave reviews for them). Wasn't feeling Steins Gate or Cowboy Bebop either. My favorites by far are Attack on Titan, Code Geass, and SAO but I enjoyed Parasyte well enough to finish it. Any other awesome mainstream series out there similar to those 3 (Geass, SnK, SAO) that I'm missing?

Fullmetal Alchemist/Brotherhood and Fate/Zero are two of my favourites which quickly come to mind based on what you've said. Both have a good mix of action and darkness (although FMA is quite a bit more lighthearted towards the beginning (minus the chimera episode (*sob*))). But if you want something even more insanely dark and brutal, try Berserk.

As for ones I'm not 100% you'll enjoy (but are some of my favourites anyway) Baccano and Trigun are great fun (although Baccano is fairly confusing early on.) If you want something by the same director of Code Geass though, Planetes is, in my opinion, one of the most underrated anime (although it and Code Geass are as different as day and night and it has a bit of a slow start.)

• Like 1

Fullmetal Alchemist/Brotherhood and Fate/Zero are two of my favourites which quickly come to mind based on what you've said. Both have a good mix of action and darkness (although FMA is quite a bit more lighthearted towards the beginning (minus the chimera episode (*sob*))). But if you want something even more insanely dark and brutal, try Berserk.

As for ones I'm not 100% you'll enjoy (but are some of my favourites anyway) Baccano and Trigun are great fun (although Baccano is fairly confusing early on.) If you want something by the same director of Code Geass though, Planetes is, in my opinion, one of the most underrated anime (although it and Code Geass are as different as day and night and it has a bit of a slow start.)

Thanks for the great suggestions! I have actually already seen the first 5-6 episodes of Fate/Zero and I didn't think it was bad but I didn't really feel invested enough in any of the characters to continue but I may end up giving it another chance. And yeah I watched episode 1 of FMA Brotherhood and even though I know that's not really enough to judge it I just didn't really care for the setting and animation style that much. Plus I'm a sucker for a badass protagonist and/or a romantic subplot and I wasn't getting either of those vibes from that show at all. I just read a brief plot summary of Baccano though I think I will definitely give that a shot, it sounds really interesting and it sounds like it got amazing reviews too!

Thanks for the great suggestions! I have actually already seen the first 5-6 episodes of Fate/Zero and I didn't think it was bad but I didn't really feel invested enough in any of the characters to continue but I may end up giving it another chance. And yeah I watched episode 1 of FMA Brotherhood and even though I know that's not really enough to judge it I just didn't really care for the setting and animation style that much. Plus I'm a sucker for a badass protagonist and/or a romantic subplot and I wasn't getting either of those vibes from that show at all. I just read a brief plot summary of Baccano though I think I will definitely give that a shot, it sounds really interesting and it sounds like it got amazing reviews too!

You would be GREATLY mistaken to skip Brotherhood, its the highest rated anime of all time and for good reason.

• Like 2

And yeah I watched episode 1 of FMA Brotherhood and even though I know that's not really enough to judge it I just didn't really care for the setting and animation style that much. 

Wait, are you talking about the 'Freezing Alchemist' episode? Because that wasn't part of the original manga and, yeah, it was a bit lackluster. The real story starts from episode 2. And, like eXtacy said, you would be greatly mistaken to skip it. And Edward Elric definitely fits the 'badass protagonist' role (and there are touches of romance here and there).

You should definitely still watch Baccano, though.

Edited by Rukaio Alter