baumer

BOF's top 100 movie lines of all time (CLOSED)

"Just look at that parking lot!" - A Serious Man

"Please. Accept the mystery" - A Serious Man

"Where do you think you are, in some fucking regency costume drama?! This is a government department! Not a fucking Jane fucking Austen novel!" - In the Loop

"And at the end of a war you need some soldiers left, really, or else it looks like you've lost." - In the Loop

"Which would be worse - to live as a monster? Or to die as a good man?" - Shutter Island

"We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold." - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

"There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge" - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good." - Wall Street

"Did you fuck my wife?" - Raging Bull

"A person doesn't change just because you find out more." - The Third Man

"Look down there. Tell me. Would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever?" - The Third Man

"Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock." - The Third Man

"You're madness, Diane. Virulent madness. And everything you touch dies with you." - Network

"I know who I am!" - Angel Heart

"We want the best wines available to humanity, and we want them here, and we want them now!" - Withnail & I

"If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body? What right has my head to call itself me?" - The Tenant

"He has his father's eyes" - Rosemary's Baby

"He'd kill us if he got the chance." - The Conversation

"Exterminate all rational thought." - Naked Lunch

"Off the record, on the QT, and very hush-hush." - LA Confidential

"We don't deal in certainty, we deal in probability." - Zero Dark Thirty

"I have a love in my life. It makes me stronger than anything you can imagine." - Punch-Drunk Love

"I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?" - Trainspotting

"Kneel before Zod!" - Superman II

"I haven't eaten since later this afternoon." - Primer

"Baby, you're gonna miss that plane." - Before Sunset

"I'm afraid to close my eyes... and I'm afraid to open them" - The Blair Witch Project

• Like 2

Okay these 2 are quotes I'm surprised nobody said, and should be mentioned. (The TDKR quote is one I like from it ;))"Lions, tigers and bears! Oh my!"-Wizard of Oz

"When Gotham is in ashes, then you have my permission to die"-The Dark Knight Rises

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise:  Angel Heart

Trust me:  Raiders of the Lost Ark

If you can't spot the sucker at the table in the first five minutes, you are the sucker:  Rounders

You're a smelly pirate hooker:  Anchorman

Yea, I'm going to have to ask you to come in tomorrow as well:  Office Space

Remember when I promised to kill you last?  I lied. :Commando

• Like 1

"Are you a pothead Focker?"-Meet the Parents

"We're on a Mission from God"-The Blues Brothers

"We Thought you was a toad!"-O Brother, Where Art Thou?

"We're getting the band back together!"-The Blues Brothers

"There was a man with a wooden leg named Smith, what was the name of his other leg?"-Mary Poppins

Now this last one is from a movie I've never seen but it is such a classic quote that you must do in a Bela voice ;)

"The children of the night, what sweet music they make!"-Dracula (1931)

Oh and this one: "A boys best friend is his mother"-Psycho

• Like 1

The Blues Brothers needed some love so I did put down 2 famous quotes from that film.

And you know I could start putting quotes from a Biblical film or any historical film for that matter, but technically most of the quotes are not original. ;) (Then again neither is Houston we have a problem here!)

There are a few Bill and Ted quotes I want to put also.

There was one I thought of last night and was going to add it, but forgot and of course I now can't remember. Oh well I hope it comes back.

Remember when I promised to kill you last?  I lied. :Commando

I love this one but technically Sully has a line in between the two sentences ("that's right Matrix you did!"). The first line to Sully ("you're a funny guy Sully etc") should be in if not already in.

I'd say there's some difference between a line taken from a book or even real life (it helps if the circumstances were unique and not general - it's hard to think of many scenarios in which "Houston, we have a problem" could be used appropriately) and a line that's two thousand years old and is pretty much a saying.  ;)

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds." - Tombstone
"This is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules." - The Big Lebowski
"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle." - Terminator 2
"You can milk anything with nipples." - Meet the Parents
"Please put down your weapon. You have twenty seconds to comply." - RoboCop
"A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man." - The Godfather
Edited by The Stingray™
  • Like 2

I love this one but technically Sully has a line in between the two sentences ("that's right Matrix you did!"). The first line to Sully ("you're a funny guy Sully etc") should be in if not already in.

Yes, I guess you are right.  I don't think it would make the cut anyway, but I thought it would be good to mention it.

"What the fuck does that mean grunt shit?"

"It means be advised, I'm mean, nasty, and tired.  I eat concertina wire and piss napalm, and I can put a round through a flea's ass at 200 meters.  So you go hump someone else's leg mutt face before I push yours in."

Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge.