baumer

Insidious 2 (2013)

13 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Pretty cliche horror movie. Doesn't hold a candle to the first Insidious or The Conjuring. James Wan still did a decent job directing this movie with some tight tension building and well placed scares, but the comedic tone they took with this movie was oft-putting. I couldn't really get into the movie bc of this. Some of the humor was just awkward and weird. You can tell James Wan poured his heart into The Conjuring, and didn't put the same effort into Insidious Chapter 2. Which I can perfectly get. The Conjuring is one creepy ass movie. There's still a lot of fun to be had with Insidious 2, but it isn't nearly as creepy as the 1st Insidious. The Awkward comedy made sure of that.

B-/C+

I don't find Insidious, Insidious 2, or The Conjuring scary, but I do find this the most enjoyable of the three. I think. I think it's between this and The Conjuring. I wasn't much of a fan of the first Insidious, and I thought The Conjuring was great.

I was reluctant to see the movie when I read reports that there was humor and such, but I found myself enjoying the humor. The experience was great, and the crowd I saw it with vamped up the whole film. It might not be as good as The Conjuring, but I had a damn good time watching it.

A-

Oh boy here we go.

Tonally this film was all over the place. It was horror at times, comedy at others, and just crazy most of the time. There were several scenes that weren't needed, like when Specs (or Tucker, can’t remember which, they’re both pretty interchangeable characters) is on the ground we see him move for no real reason, was that really necessary.

It’s also pretty hilarious to see Patrick Wilson going crazy with a bat, in a scene that’s obviously supposed to be a homage to The Shining.

That being said, some of the ideas surrounding the spirit world were pretty interesting, and the actor was good all round, especially Rose Byrne.

I can see this film becoming a future example in explaining why sequels truly aren't necessary. 

5 / 10 

Edited by Boxofficefanatic
  • Like 1

Well, keeping with my theme (tele says I either love or hate movies, rarely am I in between) I pretty much hated this.  The story is ridiculous, the villain is laughable and it felt like it was an amalgamation of much better horror films.  Part Shining, part Sleepaway Camp and part Insidios part 1 and yet it does a terrible job trying to scare us or make a film that makes any sense.  Ghosts are scary because they can do things that can't be explained.  How the ghost in this even became a ghost is never explained and it really takes away from the enjoyment of the film.  Ok, she was a mom who wanted her son to be a girl.  Great.  He kills a lot of people.  Great.  She's a ghost who haunts the family.  Why?

Pretty bad.

5/10

• Like 1

Well, keeping with my theme (tele says I either love or hate movies, rarely am I in between) I pretty much hated this.  The story is ridiculous, the villain is laughable and it felt like it was an amalgamation of much better horror films.  Part Shining, part Sleepaway Camp and part Insidios part 1 and yet it does a terrible job trying to scare us or make a film that makes any sense.  Ghosts are scary because they can do things that can't be explained.  How the ghost in this even became a ghost is never explained and it really takes away from the enjoyment of the film.  Ok, she was a mom who wanted her son to be a girl.  Great.  He kills a lot of people.  Great.  She's a ghost who haunts the family.  Why?

Pretty bad.

5/10

Good review but, 5 / 10 for a movie you hated? 

Seems a bit high, wouldn't you agree. 

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

I just had a horrific experience at my showing; people couldn't stop talking and laughing, people screaming at everything and people turning on the flash of their cell phones  :bash: . I barely remember the film, it was good to average, but why the hell the director would put comedy (even if a little) in a horror movie? C+ (60)

Edited by Goffe

A lot of fun. The first 35-45 minutes were genuinely creepy with a bunch of good scares. Somewhere in the second act it goes full retard WTFtastic in a big way, but despite the increasing silliness it still manages to stay entertaining and scary. It's a big ol' goofy haunted house that throws everything at you. Everything is OTT right down to the ridiculous color schemeLiked it much more than the first Insidious.

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 1

On 01/10/2013 at 9:14 PM, Baumer said:

She's a ghost who haunts the family.  Why?

She haunts the family because her son is in Josh's body. The old woman who possesses Josh at the end of the first movie is the little boy, son of the ghost haunting the family.

Edited by Goffe

Well, I appreciated the comedy more this time (Wan sense of humor is great!), but the third act is very very messy, much more so than the one for the first movie. You're kinda exhausted by the end.

Even with all shortcomings considered, I still think James Was has it in him for horror movies, dude directs every scene with such vigor and energy, something rarely seen in the genre.

55/100