Fancyarcher

Goosebumps | October 16, 2015 | Jack Black | First Trailer on Page 11!

The killer sponge!

Posted Image

So many memories. Tales from the Crypt for kids.

Lol the resolution for this! I remember the evil sponge book being one of the rare instances where Goosebumps didn't have its typically ambiguous ending.

Man, those endings were frustrating and thrilling at the same time!

• Like 4

Yup!:). I was born at the end of '91, but I never saw the show until probably 2007 (I didn't know there was one). My childhood shows consisted of Pokemon, Digimon, Sailor Moon, Seasame Street, Rugrats, Slime Time Live, etc. I would have likely loved Goosebumps if I had know there was a show.Oh 90's/early '00's, how I miss you.:(

Cartoon Cartoons was so epic. Dexter's Laboratory! Powerpuff Girls! Johnny Bravo!
  • Like 4

12:36

EDouglasCS: And we're right into Goosebumps... which they say they've been trying to make for 12 years

EDouglasCS: R.L. Stine isn't going to be in San Diego but he sent in a video introduction from the Atlanta set of Goosebumps.

EDouglasCS: Everyone wants to know what books they used and which monsters are in the movie, but he said that the movie is about HIM.

12:37
EDouglasCS: He's talking about how they decided who to play him in the movie...

EDouglasCS: He says that his first choice to play him was Jack Black... and here comes Jack Black!!!

EDouglasCS: Huge cheers for his entrance

12:49
EDouglasCS: Jack Black brought out director Rob Letterman who said "instead of talking about the tone, I'll show you" and they showed a very early teaser trailer

12:49
EDouglasCS: Most of the monsters shown were pre-vis unfinished CG

12:50
EDouglasCS: They're talking about doing the effects for the monsters

EDouglasCS: So the footage opens with the lead guy arriving at a new house with his mother, played by Amy Ryan

EDouglasCS: He's greeted by Hannah, the girl next door

12:51
EDouglasCS: We then see the protagonist (whose name I don't know) and his nerdy friend outside talking about Hannah and they hear a scream from her house so they go over and they pick the lock to get in

12:52
EDouglasCS: when they walk in, they're scared by a cuckoo clock and then see a shelf full of manuscripts for Stine's books and then are spooked by Black's Stine standing in the shadows

12:52
EDouglasCS: There's a tagline that "his stories are legendary"

12:53
EDouglasCS: Black says the 'pleasure is mine" and tells the boys that all the monsters he's created are locked inside those books

EDouglasCS: And that something bad will happen if they're released

EDouglasCS: BTW, Kyle Gass of Tenacious D is in the audience sitting a few seats away from me

12:54
EDouglasCS: So let's talk monsters.. everyone ready? :)

12:54
EDouglasCS: I've been told protagonist's name is Zach Cooper, played by Dylan Minnette (thanks!)

12:55
EDouglasCS: Okay... we see Stine, Zach, Hannah and Zach's friend in a car driving and a couple tentacles come down at them

EDouglasCS: But it turns out it's actually a giant preying mantis!

EDouglasCS: (Again, the FX they showed were all pre-vis and incomplete)

EDouglasCS: Stine says "I don't remember writing about a preying mantis ... oh yeah, now I remember"

12:56
EDouglasCS: They're really being very coy about what monsters are in the books though when people in the audience ask about them.

EDouglasCS: We also see previs of the Abominable Snowman in an ice skating rink

EDouglasCS: There's a very rough werewolf....

12:57
EDouglasCS: They also face a half dozen garden gnomes which they don't think look dangerous until they start throwing knives

EDouglasCS: AND.... they have the ventriloquist dummy Slappy from Night of the Living Dummy who is heavily featured in the movie.

EDouglasCS: They say that Slappy is the ringleader of all the monsters in the movie.

Comment From Roku 
So is this like a family horror film? Like Beetlejuice?

12:58
EDouglasCS: Yes, Roku, very much so...and hopefully better than The Vampire's Assistant. :)

EDouglasCS: We see the kids trying to capture the monsters by sucking them back into the monsters

EDouglasCS: Sorry... sucking them back into the books

12:59
EDouglasCS: Jack said he did some work with a ventriloquist dummy to prepare for working with Slappy and he has just brought out a Slappy dummy and will give us a taste of his ventriloquism

EDouglasCS: I'm not sure that's Black doing the voice of Slappy though... I think this is a oke

EDouglasCS: Jack is now drinking water while Slappy talks

1:00
Comment From Dylan 
Is the film Chappie also appearing on the paneil?

EDouglasCS: Don't know yet.

EDouglasCS: Now Slappy is talking back to Jack saying that he didn't create him, RL Stine created him.... Jack is telling him to get back into his box....

EDouglasCS: Slappy has threatened to bring some of his friends out to play

EDouglasCS: Slappy is quite menacing

1:01
EDouglasCS: He first introduces the Bog Monster and there's soemone

EDouglasCS: The Graveyard Ghouls

EDouglasCS: Murder the Clown

EDouglasCS: The Witch Doctor

EDouglasCS: Professor Shock

EDouglasCS: A vampire, The Creep

EDouglasCS: The bugeye alins

EDouglasCS: The Pumpkin Heads and the Scarecrow

EDouglasCS: They just brought out all these characters on stage!!

EDouglasCS: Will try to get a picture

1:02
EDouglasCS: Also The Executioner and the Clown

EDouglasCS: The monsters dragged Jack Black outside

EDouglasCS: Sorry, it was really hard to get a picture... they looked great though

1:03
Comment From MIke Mauthor 
Does Slappy looks menacing as well or just sounds menacing?

EDouglasCS: Both

EDouglasCS: That's it for Sony apparently

EDouglasCS: I hope there'll be some pictures of all the monsters cause they looked great and hopefully that'll give us an idea of what they'll look like in terms of the non-CG monsters

EDouglasCS: There were a LOT... probably 12 or more!

Comment From Jon 
Did the teaser look/sound like a solid teaser? ive been dying for a goosebumps movie since i was a kid....

1:04
EDouglasCS: It looked like a good start... although all the CG was early pre-vis not complete....the monsters in costumes looked great though

EDouglasCS: This reminded me a little of the Hellboy: Golden Army panel at NY Comic-Con when Guillermo del Toro brought out a bunch of the monsters

Comment From James 
Is Slappys voice scary?

EDouglasCS: Yeah I"m not sure who is doing the voice but it's obviously not Jack Black

1:05
EDouglasCS: That's it for the panel

Comment From Joe 
All of those are in the movie?

EDouglasCS: I'm guessing that it's very likely that's who we'll see... I think there are going to be a lot of monsters even though some of them may have smaller appearances

1:06
EDouglasCS: Back to the footage, there was a shot of the preying mantis turning over a bus

1:06
EDouglasCS: and one of the kids asks Stine why he can't write about rainbows to which he responds "That wouldn't sell 4 million copies!"

1:08
Comment From DuToit 
Will I be having nightmares with the clown?

1:08
EDouglasCS: The clown that came out looked pretty scary.. did you ever see that movie Killer Clowns? Like that

1:09
Comment From Guest 
Does Slappy have a recognizable voice?

EDouglasCS: Good question... I didn't recognize the voice and they didn't make mention of who it was... but it obviously wasn't Jack

Comment From Bertie 
so, does goosebumps look good (hope so) or lame?

EDouglasCS: I think what we saw looks good and they seem to have the right idea of how to do this movie

Comment From oggie 
Did you see The Haunted Mask? A green monster mask that when put on cant be taken off.

1:10
EDouglasCS: No, that wasn't in the footage....

Comment From Bob 
What mode is jack Black in? hamming it totally or playing fairly straight ala King Kong?

EDouglasCS: he seemed to be having fun... even did some karate moves for a kid who asked

Comment From Joe 
Edouglas. Does this movie seem self aware like Cabin in the Woods for a family movie like this?

EDouglasCS: Yes, Joe... since R.L. Stine appears as a character in it and it acknowledges he wrote the books, it's very META

1:11
EDouglasCS: Thanks to Nacho, here's a picture of all the monsters on stage

EDouglasCS: https://twitter.com/lacosac...

Comment From Adam 
Any chance they'll release the footage to the public soon? Or part of it?

EDouglasCS: Adam, probably not... they need to finish the visual FX. Maybe something by the holidays?

Comment From Mike Mauthor 
Besides Slappy, is there any other monster speaking?

EDouglasCS: none in the footage or on stage

1:12
Comment From John 
how long have they been filming goosebumps?

1:12
EDouglasCS: A couple months... I think they're almost done if not done

1:13
Comment From Jay 
Does it seem tonally similar to Beetlejuice? Or more along the lines of Scooby Doo?

1:14
EDouglasCS: Good question, Jay... Beetlejuice has its own very specific tone... it doesn't seem that outlandish so maybe somewhere in between?

EDouglasCS: It definitely seems darker but still fun and humorous

Describe R.L.Stine's mood at the panel.

EDouglasCS: He didn't attend Mike... just sent a video introduction

Comment From Alec R 
PG or PG-13?

EDouglasCS: I'd guess they're shooting for PG

1:18
Is there a question segment at this Comic-con panel?

1:18
EDouglasCS: They asked a few questions, the only about the movie was asking about monsters which they wouldn't respond to.. but then brought out all those monsters