CJohn

F9: The Fast Saga | June 25, 2021 | Pray to your Dom Shrine! | Coming to Cannes!

6 hours ago, Chicago said:

You speak as though the Russo Brothers are bland filmmakers who didn't give us the highest grossing movie of all time aswell as some of the most positively recieved blockbusters of our era. 

The Russo brothers didn't deliver us all those great movies just to be compared to Justin fucking Lin

They didn’t direct the highest grossing movie of all time based on their own merits as filmmakers. J.J. Abrams directed the highest grossing movie at the North American box office. That doesn’t mean he’s a genius filmmaker. 

• Like 1

Personal opinions aside, Russo Brothers are way more respected than Justin Lin afterall.

They directed 34 episodes of Community, directed and produced the cult darling Arrested Development, and the well liked Happy Endings. In theaters since they really focus on directing, they make 4 of the most acclaimed Marvel movies, including the most difficult ones which i bet most directors would fail doing it. Of course they made bombs like Cherry but in general, their career is impressive.

Justin Lin otherwise directed only 3 episodes of Community, 2 episodes from the worst reviewed True Detective season. His most known projects are truly the Fast and Furious movies, which never are that well received despite the increasing success with audiences. I think his best received movie are the last Star Trek, which in general is also the less liked from the trilogy. 

Anyway, i would like to see a F&F movie directed by Russo Brothers, they are pretty good in what they do.

Edited by ThomasNicole

13 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

They didn’t direct the highest grossing movie of all time based on their own merits as filmmakers. J.J. Abrams directed the highest grossing movie at the North American box office. That doesn’t mean he’s a genius filmmaker. 

Not really a relevant comparison. TFA was always going to top the US box office the moment a well received trailer was released. Its Star Wars.

Endgame however made what it did because of the strong WOM earned by the Russos previous movie, Infinity War.

So yes i believe their own merits is what led to the movies success, more so than for JJ.

I like Justin Lin but once you make 5 movies in a franchise perhaps there's only so many times you make movie in the same franchise. But again I like his work he did a really good job in Star Trek Beyond I thought. 

EDIT: He's doing 10 and 11 assuming they'll still have the plan to do those back to back. 

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr

9 hours ago, Chicago said:

Not really a relevant comparison. TFA was always going to top the US box office the moment a well received trailer was released. Its Star Wars.

Endgame however made what it did because of the strong WOM earned by the Russos previous movie, Infinity War.

So yes i believe their own merits is what led to the movies success, more so than for JJ.

The MCU had already established itself as a pop culture juggernaut before IW and EG. 

Anyway, the Fast & Furious movies became more popular after Justin Lin came onboard. 

• Like 1

I do think Justin Lin deserves a ton of credit for turning the Fast and Furious franchise into what it is. Or perhaps criticism if you've hated the shift. But despite his work of varying quality, when he hits, I think he's great.

Wan and later F Gary Gray really got to reap in the rewards, financially speaking from Lin's foundation

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

The MCU had already established itself as a pop culture juggernaut before IW and EG. 

Anyway, the Fast & Furious movies became more popular after Justin Lin came onboard. 

That's true, Lin did manage to turn a dying street racing franchise into a billion dollar franchise. When he took over from JJ for Star Trek however, I did think there was a drop in quality, though maybe he had a lower budget.

33 minutes ago, Chicago said:

That's true, Lin did manage to turn a dying street racing franchise into a billion dollar franchise. When he took over from JJ for Star Trek however, I did think there was a drop in quality, though maybe he had a lower budget.

Lin is definitely an above average director. I did a rewatch of the Star Trek trilogy not too long ago. While there is a drop in quality (Abrams can direct the shit out of a blockbuster, he's made for them), Lin is still doing a few things that make him stand out from the Brad Peyton's of the world. Star Trek Beyond could be a way duller affair but he does stretch his legs a bit. 

What he did with Fast Five especially cannot be understated, that film harkens back to the best of the best 80's/90's blockbusters. Introducing a team dynamic, thrilling foot chases, hulking hand to hand fights and a two cars pulling a safe through the streets of Brazil causing destruction. And to top it off...all that is in-camera. Then he repeats the same success with F6 but CGI starts to creep in. 

That's also part of the reason why I'm so tentative about F9, it looks a lot more CG heavy, whereas the strengths and joys I derived from F5 & F6 largely came from how straightforward they felt, in their filmmaking and stories. 

Maybe 9 films in, the ongoing narrative starts to wear on the franchise as well. 

He has made the two strongest films in the franchise so I hold out hope it's a return to form. 

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 11:11 AM, Chicago said:

Kevin Feige and MCU brand are what led both Endgame and Infinity War to their success. MCU is bigger than Star Wars now. Russos are just passengers on this ride, just like most MCU directors, they didn't have much, if any, freedom, those movies are corporate products.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Seth Irskens said:

When are more Critic Reviews dropping? It seems on RT there's at least 27 reviews... it seems odd.

Presumably a ton next week by Tuesday/Wednesday. It definitely screened earlier this week for some US critics.