CJohn

F9: The Fast Saga | June 25, 2021 | Pray to your Dom Shrine! | Coming to Cannes!

16 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Everyone else in the franchise knows exactly what kind of movie they are in, Vin Diesel is still chasing an acting Oscar with this franchise

I think the franchise got worse the moment everyone besides Diesel started getting in on the joke. The ending to Furious 7 probably the last sincere moment in the franchise.

Also, although Diesel is probably never gonna give a performance as good The Rock's in Pain&Gain or Southland Tales, I admire how he thinks he's some pretty good actor lol.

27 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Everyone else in the franchise knows exactly what kind of movie they are in, Vin Diesel is still chasing an acting Oscar with this franchise

All those “dramatic” scenes with Vin on the plane in F8 were torture. He really thought he was doing something.

Edited by AJG
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Down to 63% (5.7/10) over on RT after 86 reviews (With Top Critics at 71% [5.9/10] in 24 reviews]).

It's funny that high-brow critics seem to be liking this more than other critics and probably audiences too. Usually its the other way round

20 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

It's funny that high-brow critics seem to be liking this more than other critics and probably audiences too. Usually its the other way round

Ehhh, 0.2 out of 10 difference is kinda variance right now, isn't it?  I thought the same at first as well, but when saw the difference between 5.7 and 5.9, I just thought it's probably more randomness than anything else.

18 minutes ago, lilmac said:

What did I just watch?  So many ‘wait, what?’ moments. So many laws defied: physics, logic, time, limits of human ability, the list goes on and on. I guess Family is the answer to everything. 

So…a Fast & Furious movie?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Saw it last night.

It's an enjoyable time. Nothing is truly spectacular but what we do have is passable. I don't think anyone would come out of this upset. People saying that the F&F formula might be going stale may actually have a point though.

The films pacing is not the best. It can feel like we've gone without an action sequence for ages. There's more melodramatic nonsense than there was in F8 - the caveat is that the F9 offers up better nonsense. The flashbacks and dramatic moments here are intriguing but I doubt most of the affinity I have for them at the moment will hold after a rewatch. 

The action is fine. I'd argue it's at a smaller scale for the new series - similar fo F6. It's inventive and snappy and I think it'll hold up well but as of right now every major beat from every action sequence in this movie has been spoilt by the advertising campaign. If you've seen both trailers then you've already seen too much. Han is also not featured in the movie in a way where spoiling his "resurrection" in the ads was justified - they were dead wrong for that and if I were the director I'd be livid.

Cena's new character fits in well here and is cool addition. Charlize Theron's character is back and just horrendous. Every line of dialogue with her is tedious - every scene with her in it is like listening to nails on chalkboard. A cringeworthy mess. I understand it's not the actresses fault but someone needs to stop this. 

It's a Low Matinee. I wouldn't tell anyone to rush out and watch it but it's not a film I feel the experience could be enhanced at a cinema or cheapened on a big screen 4k tv. 

• Like 1