3 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

i always think it's infamous for being 7 hours long. :mellow:

i've managed to get through dr mabuse (4 1/2) and fanny and alexander (5hr 12min), but this is getting rather ridiculous. i also want to see shoah, but that's 9 hours. -_-

I have also only seen the cow scene, as well as this little part

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MUehcWX1OU

But after those bits and especially THE TURIN HORSE, I'm absolutely willing to trust Bela Tarr with 7 hours of my life; it's just a matter of when. I don't think I've never seen any other director - certainly not any living director - create a film in that way, just taking a scene or a shot in which, formally, very little happens, and making it so incredibly atmospheric, hypnotic and haunting. I'm positive that if any filmmaker with even a bit less talent attempted to make The Turin Horse, he'd be laughed off every film festival in the world, but Tarr is both uncompromising enough and talented enough that he makes it work. I'll stop here because I don't want to review another movie in this thread, but I'll just say that I hope - and, to a reasonable extent, expect - that Satantango will have the same effect on me. That it's apparently clearly divided into 12 parts could only help - in the absolute worst case scenario, if you still want to finish it, you could just watch it over a few days as 12 short films. But I'm not personally expecting that scenario. 

Doesn't Tarr claim TURIN HORSE is a comedy?

Googled it. Actually this is what he says:

You said in an interview that, "All my movies are comedies! Except 'The Turin Horse.'" -- Why is that?

You can laugh less in than the others.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/10/bela-tarr-the-turin-horse_n_1266397.html

I've definitely seen Satantango referred to as a black comedy by those who've seen it. I never thought of Turin Horse that way, although now perhaps from a certain POV I could see parts of it as being very darkly amusing.