druv10

Weekend numbers (9/20-9/22/13)

Exactly. This isn't football, basketball, baseball, or boxing.

Where as a film about the American Civil War wouldn't do well OS, heck outside of the Blind Side, American football films rarely even get released OS.

How many Americans are into F-1 Racing needs to be considered.

There may be other F-1 racing films that have been released the past decade, limited perhaps, but the last one I recall was Driven with Stallone. I recall because I'm a Stallone fan and that one did not set the charts on fire. Now true, Stallone was in the trenches of his career at the time, Hemsworth is on the upswing but it's still Formula One racing. 

20m estimate for Prisoners. 40m for I2 last weekend. Not bad for September.  Actually it's very good, imo.

And look at WTM. Excellent run.

Now watching: Hitchcock on HBO.  Anthony Hopkins is weird in this.

Edited by ECSTASY

I don't get why people are saying this is a boring September- sure, it's boring compared to summer months, but it's pretty great compared to most Septembers. If Riddick had done a couple more million, every weekend would have had a 20+ opener. Assuming Cloudy 2 does as excellent as most expected, we're getting two 40+ million weekends in September, plus two in the 20 million range, plus three potential slow burning breakouts in Rush, INI, and Don Jon. Yay, September.

Agree! I guess it's boring for some there's not major flop to make fun of

• Like 2

$45k PTA is good but if this was a true indie movie, one not backed by a major studio, then a $45k PTA from 5 theaters doesn't even guarantee a $12-13 million total. This will make more obviously because the studio has money to spend in P&A but I am just trying to put this number into perspective..

Rush can definitely crack 50mil, but the problem with the story is it just doesn't have enough reasons for people to care, at least not enough to be a true breakout hit. I could be wrong if WOM is great enough, but racing is a pretty niche sport. 

There may be other F-1 racing films that have been released the past decade, limited perhaps, but the last one I recall was Driven with Stallone. I recall because I'm a Stallone fan and that one did not set the charts on fire. Now true, Stallone was in the trenches of his career at the time, Hemsworth is on the upswing but it's still Formula One racing.

Driven was champ car not F1, mainly because Stallone couldn't get the rights to F1 at that time. Excluding Senna because it was a documentary, there hasn't been a film about F1 released since Grand Prix back in the 60's.

Here’s the partial Top Ten list based on weekend estimates:1. Prisoners (Alcon/Warner Bros) NEW [Runs 3,260] RFriday $7.0M, Saturday $9.0M, Weekend $21.4M

2. Insidious: Chapter 2 (FilmDistrict) Week 2 [Runs 3,155] PG13Friday $4.6M, Saturday $6.3M, Weekend $14.2M (65%), Cume $50.5M

3. The Family (Relativity) Week 2 [Runs 3,091] RFriday $2.0M, Saturday $3.1M, Weekend $7.0M (-50%), Cume $25.6M

4. Instructions Not Included (Lionsgate) Week 4 [Runs 978] PG13Friday $1.3M, Saturday $2.0M, Weekend $5.7M, Cume $34.2M

5. Battle Of The Year (Screen Gems/Sony) NEW [Runs 2,008] PG13Friday $1.4M, Saturday $2.0M, Weekend $4.6M

6. We’re The Millers (New Line/Warner Bros) Week 7 [Runs 3,008] RFriday $1.3M, Saturday $2.1M, Weekend $4.5M, Cume $138.0M

7. Lee Daniels’ The Butler (Weinstein) Week 6 [Runs 2,931] PG13Friday $1.1M, Saturday $2.0M, Weekend $4.3M, Cume $106.4M

8. Riddick (Universal) Week 3 [Runs 3,022] RFriday $1.0M, Saturday , Weekend $3.4M, Cume $37.0M

9. Wizard of Oz: IMAX 3D (Warner Bros) NEW [Runs 318] PGFriday $751K, Saturday , Weekend $2.8M

10. Planes (Disney) Week 7 [Runs 2,446] PGFriday $531K, Saturday , Weekend $2.5M, Cume $86.2M

Rush (Imagine/Universal) NEW [Runs 5] RFriday $66K, Saturday , Weekend $223K

Enough Said (Fox Searchlight) Week 1 [Runs 4] PG13Friday $62K, Saturday , Weekend $210K, Cume $263K

• Like 1

Unless my math is off thats an under 20% drop fpr Millers and Butler. Butler had its first real competition with Prisoners and it had its best drop outside LD weekend. Go figure.