mahnamahna

2013 Edition of 1001 Movies List...

Loved these new additions:

Toy Story 2 & 3 (apparently all 3 were combined under Toy Story Trilogy in the index)

Robocop

Field of Dreams

Mary Poppins

The Towering Inferno

Boldest addition - Cabin in the Woods (thought Avengers would get in over this)

Worst addition - Les Miserables 

What do you think of the 49 additions? 

Dead Ringers and The Draughtsman's Contract are my favorite additions. None of last year's movies they added really deserved to make the cut (Les Mis? Skyfall? really?), I'm pretty sure almost all of them will disappear in the next couple of years, except maybe Amour and Lincoln. 

and they got rid of one of the best movies of all time, dancer in the dark (A) (see my avatar!) :( . i have also seen the girl with the dragon tattoo (B) and hugo (B), so of the films i've seen, this update on net is certainly a bad one in terms of quality (ignoring that this is a list of 1001 films you should see, not necessarily the best 1001).

Edited by lisa

The only edition I care about is the 2010 edition... because that's the one I own. And really, I'm not gonna buy the latest edition every year to see what they have to say about films from the previous year that have been added only to be taken out in the next edition anyway.

The only edition I care about is the 2010 edition... because that's the one I own. And really, I'm not gonna buy the latest edition every year to see what they have to say about films from the previous year that have been added only to be taken out in the next edition anyway.

I do like how this edition added some more escapist entries like Robocop as well as smaller films like Wall Street and Mrs. Miniver. 

Personally, the only 5 others I think should be on the list without me complaining too much:

1) The Great Dictator (1940)

2) Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

3) Superman (1978)

4) The Goonies (1985) 

5) My Neighbor Totoro (1988)

The Avengers, The Truman Show, Finding Nemo, Dead Poets Society, and National Lampoon's Vacation wouldn't be shabby picks either 

counting only the 1001 there now i've seen 84

a month later and apparently i've now seen 101

...and another month later, 125

not making a conscious effort to see films on the list either

so:

july: 84

august: 101 +17

september: 125 +24

october: 163 +38