kayumanggi

COMPUTER ANIMATED FILMS thread | SOUL (Jan 12), TURNING RED (Feb 09), and LUCA (Mar 22) return to theaters in 2024

I don't care for adjusted numbers myself -- you assume that a said movie would sell the same amount of tickets at a higher price. You also ignore changing market-forces that limit total and repeat customers (shorter theatrical releases, home video, DVD, digital streaming, Demand, rental, etc) -- all of which impact attendance as well.

Pieman, check out this link and watch the topic vid. It's one of the top guys on the exec side of animated films today talking about the changing market.

http://forums.boxoff...rtainment-club/

And I think it's 2014, but there's one year coming up with something like 14 planned wide-release animated features. Too much! Though I'm betting a good handful of them will not hit 100M ^_^

:lol:

I don't care for adjusted numbers myself -- you assume that a said movie would sell the same amount of tickets at a higher price.

Sorry, but you completely misunderstand the idea. If you adjust for ticket price inflation that just means: With current ticket prices movie XY released in 1977 would have made 300 mio US or whatsoever. And not the 75 mio it did back then.If you adjust something like Spider-Man 1 for 1940 tickets prices it would have made something like 17 mio USD domestic and so on.

Animation isn't a genre. It's a medium.

Yeah... I've given up on repeating this though. It's really the major studios' fault for marketing animated movies to be kiddie fare for so long. I'm really curious about what artists can do if they weren't restricted to making only G to PG rated fare for animated movies. Doubt we'll ever see that from the big players.
  • Like 1

Sorry, but you completely misunderstand the idea. If you adjust for ticket price inflation that just means: With current ticket prices movie XY released in 1977 would have made 300 mio US or whatsoever. And not the 75 mio it did back then.If you adjust something like Spider-Man 1 for 1940 tickets prices it would have made something like 17 mio USD domestic and so on.

I don't misunderstand the idea (at least I don't think I do...).I'm saying Snow White released today would not have the same admissions it did back in 1937 and therefore break the all-time mark of Avatar and score 800M domestic. -- or re-explain the process to logically conclude it would? :blink:

I'm saying Snow White released today would not have the same admissions it did back in 1937 and therefore break the all-time mark of Avatar and score 800M domestic. -- or re-explain the process to logically conclude it would? :blink:

That said though, if you want to simulate Snow White's novelty back then to the present, it'd have to be something like an animated version of SWATH in holograms and in 4D, like the rides at Disneyland that move the seats when it's an action sequence and blow wind in your face when there's flying, etc. At least that's my understanding of how big Snow White was.

It seems that most animated films gross over 100 million dollars consistently. My question is, what caused it? Is it just an increase in animated films? It's not as if there are more children than 20 years ago. Are more adults going to see kid's films? Although I don't know why that would be. I saw Ice Age 4 today and thought it was a lazy piece of garbage.

I think the short answer is Disney's not the only big player anymore. Other studios are attaining similar production values in their work and therefore appealing to a wider audience. Edited by tribefan695

That said though, if you want to simulate Snow White's novelty back then to the present, it'd have to be something like an animated version of SWATH in holograms and in 4D, like the rides at Disneyland that move the seats when it's an action sequence and blow wind in your face when there's flying, etc. At least that's my understanding of how big Snow White was.

--that's what Toy Story was in 95 as well. It didn't make 800million dollars. -- that's my point.You can't assume one variable and discount all the others that factor in (as previously mentioned/listed). Adjustments inevitably push past grosses higher today, and today grosses LOWER if you adjust to previous prices because you assume one constant that all other logic suggests would NOT remain constant.

I don't think you can throw Toy Story and Snow White into the same mix. Yes, it was innovative, but Snow White was truly something else when it came out. Toy Story was "it's animated, but with computers", but Snow White was like the first animated movie ever. Not much else can compare with that kind of hype.If you do inflation adjustments for box office charts from 20 years ago, the overall numbers look pretty similar to today's charts. It's simply way more difficult for an individual movie to become a massive phenomenon today than it was in the 30s.

Edited by tribefan695