Gravity (2013)  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I think this is overrated. Sure, the visuals and the atmosphere were sensational and the camerawork is truly oscar-worthy (Cuaron deserved that award IMO). I just wasn't that invested in the characters and the acting was good, but not spectacular. Still a pretty good movie, just not as good as I hoped it would be.

Grade: B

The best science fiction movie of the decade.  Gravity was an experience like no other watching in IMAX 3D, it was just something else entirely.  The craft of the film goes without saying, Alfonso Cuaron completely outdid himself with this one and I doubt he goes back to big spectacle for quite some time.  It may be one of the most cliche sounding lines, but it really is a film that displays the triumph and perseverance of the human spirit when it's at its best and most driven.  Gravity is also a movie about rebirth, letting go of the past that haunts you and rising back up able to be free again.  For a movie which had the tagline "Don't let go", there's a subtle irony in that the driving character growth is for her to learn to do just that, let go.  The film has been able to retain its staying power no matter what screen I watched it on too, even with a home viewing it was just as inspiring as before.  What's even more amazing is how all of the technical work in this film still manages to hold up, I don't think I've been nearly as awed by VFX work in a movie since I've seen this one.  Cuaron crafted a cinematic experience that has not truly been rivaled in its technical grandeur since.