Gravity (2013)  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This was fucking brilliant. Favorite movie of the year so far. Somehow it lived up to the reviews.....but to me, it was for reasons different than the reviews really focused on (though those aspects were obviously good too). 

• Like 1

If Alfonso Cauron doesn't win best director at this year's Academy Awards, it would be outrageous.  He is easily one of the best directors of our generation...up there with Del Toro, Nolan, Aronfsky and Cameron. 

I saw this fillm last night and I am still in awe.  With out a doubt, the most significant film to be released within this new millennium.  

A+

Edited by Lumos

There are movies, and then there’s GRAVITY. This was just sheer amazing. Bullock gives her best performance yet, and Clooney is good. The effects are mind-blowing, and I have no clue how they filmed it, since it looked like it was actually filmed in outer space. The cinematography was breathtaking, and although the script was cliché at points, it served its purpose and was the most suspenseful movie of the past few years. Simply astounding. A+

Easily my favorite movie of the year so far. Heck, probably my favorite movie since Toy Story 3.

• Like 4

Well this was my first IMAX experience ever and well I still have goosebumps. This film was everything I wanted. I came in with crazy high expectations and I was not disappointed. This film had so many amazing-jawdropping scenes and I was at the edge of my seat the entire time. Bullock was amazing and Alfonso Cuaron better win the Best Director award, he clearly deserves it. The best film of the year and one of the best in the past couple of years. The last time I felt this way about a movie was probably with Inception and The Dark Knight. Oh and best 3D EVER!!!! 

AHHHHH I LOVED IT SO MUCH 

A

• Like 1

I honestly don't know how they filmed it. Can someone explain to me how they achieve the weightless effect.

Two different ways: for the space scenes they had a 10x10 light box with Bullock on the end of a gimbal arm, and robotic cameras programmed to swoop around her -- basically moving the cameras instead of the actor. For the interior scenes, they hired the War Horse puppeteers and basically wired her up so she was a living puppet.
  • Like 9

• Community Manager

A

Simply fantastic. It's one of the rare movies where i was really on the edge of my seat through many shots, all of the visuals were splendid, the cinematography is simply fantastic, and it really created an atmosphere of being in space. The characters were strong as well and I love the character development Stone goes through.

I had no idea if she was going to make it until she landed (I didn't think the movie would be cruel enough to allow her to make it to Earth and then drown her despite the irony) but I couldn't help but feel that the final shots of her walking on the tropical island more than justified her survival. It goes from being a great movie about trying to survive in space to  being about the power of human triumph.

Overall, it's easily so far the best movie of the year. Hell, it's one of the best science fiction films of all time.

(The best part of the movie is the cinematography. Every single shot was brilliant, had purpose, and really brought you into the film. The weightlessness of the camera was also a good decision.)

Edited by Water Bottle
  • Like 6

Loved it, just brilliant. Most stunning and beautiful film I have seen. The shots are breath taking. The visual effects are the best of any movie. The movie was so intense, I felt like my heart was pounding the whole time.  I thought she was going to die the whole movie. When she land and swam onto shore was great final scene. 

A

• Like 1

Almost the best kind of popcorn adrenaline film fuel you will find. It's a brilliant thrill ride, even if it stumbles a bit with some of the emotional bits due to some awkward forcing.

It's not an Oscar movie beyond the techs and directing, but there is zero shame in that, this is not a movie meant to win shit, but to wow you to the point of near-shitting in pants.

• Like 1